Looking for a romance I haven't read yet.

Naterocks2000

Well, title really says it all. I've read a lot of VNs lately, and have seemingly run out of material to read aside from Sankaku and Damekoi (which I am reading at the moment).

Some of my more recent reads have been mediocre at best, with them being Heart De Roommate, Private Nurse, Figures of Happiness, and the more okay one, Ikikoi. Aside from what I have to read now, I'm afraid my entire backlog is no longer a thing and I was hoping someone could point me out something I may have glossed over when digging for titles to read or one I had never considered?

My VNDB list is linked to the left and thanks in advance to anyone that gives me recommendations!

6 hours ago, adamstan said:

It looks like from the ones that I've read, you've read them all too, and even more ;)

Was Ikikoi better than HdR? Maybe I should give it a chance then? (I got turned off by some rather harsh reviews I've read)

Ikikoi is less insufferable when you reach the heroine routes. 1 of them keeps being insufferable though.

16 hours ago, adamstan said:

It looks like from the ones that I've read, you've read them all too, and even more ;)

Was Ikikoi better than HdR? Maybe I should give it a chance then? (I got turned off by some rather harsh reviews I've read)

Ikikoi was less mediocre than HdR, but both really didn't have anything for me to take them seriously. Ikikoi was more entertaining to me, but HdR had some funny parts as well, though most of the time it was outright being an ass to the MC.

If you have nothing else to read, it's not terrible to read.

16 hours ago, N_G said:

I checked your vnstats.

It's giving recs like Hoshi ori ...., Fortune Atereal(or something).

Also, you can read Sankaku and Damekoi

I've read both Hoshi Ori and read the partial patch of Fortune Arterial, I am currently reading Sankaku and Damekoi, evidenced by myself saying as much in the original post. Thanks though!

15 hours ago, Silvz said:

Umineko no Kaku Koro ni

I've considered reading it, but I know that romance is more of a sub genre, and the overarching mystery is the main focus. I have nothing against the mystery genre, just not the genre for me, though it can sometimes go hand in hand with romance.

5 hours ago, yelsha57 said:

https://vndb.org/v51 

This is a underrated vn and it has a lot of the writers who went to make their own company Key later on.

Aokana is coming eventually, and I'm sure that will be a good romance vn.

I've seen this one around, its art style just turns me off immensely but it probably won't be much different than what Kanon looked like. Might give it a read, thanks!

3 hours ago, ittaku said:

You've already read To Heart 2 and given it a 9. You have good taste but I don't have anything more to recommend. ^_^

\o/ Ruu!

I will literally spew forth a list of Visual Novels with a romantic element. I will assume the shorter ones that are more like a nukige are not within your sphere of interest. Most of these will not be to your tastes due to sheer statistic probability. Beware.

VNs:

Spoiler

A Profile - It has a couple of interesting twists, I found, and I really liked the protagonist over the course of them. That said, I think people find the twists kind of cheap or predictable and the protagonist infuriating. At any rate, I liked it!

Butterfly Soup - Like the name indicates, this is a soupy mishmash of themes and stories, and lesbian romance is one of them. One that absolutely excelled, in my eyes.

Cinderella Phenomenon - An Otome where you play as a Tsundere. Beware, the protagonist is a complete bastard at the start, but there's no tsundere without the 'dere'... Rest assured she learns many a life lesson.

Crimson Grey - Dating a yandere... The setting attempts to portray itself as mildly sensical and realistic, and you're given a lot of choice on how to deal with her. I absolutely loved the choices you could make to stay with her. If you play this, the sequel (which continues from a good end) is awesome for seeing their relationship and how it has developed!

Highway Blossoms - A yuri visual novel about a couple of girls going on a modern American adventure. Nothing more, nothing less, but you may love their relationship and their little adventure.

Heart of the Woods - And once you're done with Highway Blossoms, some of the same guys went on to make this: A modern Fairytale. Probably better as a story and as a romance than the excellent Highway Blossoms.

Hitomebore - A story about helping and falling in love with a bullied girl with unique physical characteristics. Very sweet, and also very short.

Katahane - Just putting it here in case you haven't seen it. It doesn't really have much traditional romance, but it has the same artist as something else you've played.

Kodoku ni Kiku Yuri - Super old Yuri short story. It got a new release recently, so I'm hoping the translation is a bit better than it was back when I played it.

Love Ribbon - Good story about lesbian incest.

Muv-Luv - I see for some reason you haven't touched Muv-Luv. Though its sequel Muv-Luv: Alternative and the second part of this game Muv-Luv: Unlimited are not romance, the majority of this game is. So just play Muv-Luv: Extra and ignore everything else. It's completely independent from the rest of the stories and there is no need to play them.

My Girlfriend is the President Fandisc - Any reason you haven't played it? I didn't either, actually.

Never7 - Though the series this is from is mostly seen sci-fi and lots of twists on the player, the first of the titles, Never7, is the most traditional romance. Most of the routes end up being pretty good romances, if in pretty unique circumstances. And the extra scenarios once you finish help that further.

One Thousand Lies - Presented without comment. I recommend you play it, but I don't want to spoil anything. You can just consider this a comedy VN.

Kindred Spirits on the Rooftop - More yuri. Yuritopia. It's all about gay ghosts trying to help all the gay couples in an all-girls school. The art is super-fluffy and the romances are cute. Also the protagonist is so cool! Despite being completely normal.

School Days - Say hello to controversy! It is a romance game, and you can get some perfectly legitimate and romantic romance out of it, but you can also get a lot of crazy and evil stuff. If you stick to the more romantic plotlines and fidelity, it can actually be pretty sweet. Shiny Days, if you can get it to work, does the same thing and is slightly less immoral and evil about it.

Shinigami no Kiss - Surprised you haven't played this. I only played the two girls' routes, but those are straight romances.

Shining Song Starnova - It's certainly a romance, but it has a niche theme and a pretty dark view on the idol industry it uses as a setting. Ultimately things end well, but...

Starlight Vega - Demons! Magic! Yuri! - A lot of things happen around here, but it's an ultimately sweet romance.

Steam Prison - An otome with a mostly harsh story, but things vary wildly from route to route. Some are wholesome and romantic, and some are more difficult with few ways forward that don't bring sadness. Because of the circumstances changing so much with each route, a lot of different romance stories can be experienced.

The Language of Love - This just came out. A mostly wholesome story about romancing a single mum with a daughter. Let's learn how to become a father figure...

The Second Reproduction - An otome with a story I very much enjoyed. That aside, the romances are good! Me like! Unlike other Otome, a couple properly does things together.

Tomoyo After ~Wonderful Everyday~ - A story starring a couple. There are different versions for this game and in the one I played the very true end was terrible. Hopefully it has changed in the more recent version.

-- Haven't Finished --

Amnesia: Memories - Otome with crazy happenings that is technically all about dating...? Protagonist doesn't talk. Not that we can see, anyway. She has something else voicing her inner thoughts.

Little Miss Lonesome - Another otome; this time with loads of comedy and sex! I was put off when I thought this was mostly sex, but it isn't really. Most of it is just the protagonist being a giant antisocial mess. There's a guy that sounds like he's abusive but... nope. The people he deals with on a daily basis are just so crazy and stubborn he has to be like that.

Canvas 2 - Not exactly the best translation, but it is a traditional romance story... except the protagonist is an art teacher and he can romance a teacher. That aside, the voice of Michiru from Grisaia voices one of the heroines here; it's great!

Otoboku - A VN that surprised me with how much I actually liked the writing. The protagonist dresses as a girl (and is voiced by one and acts like one and...) and though I never actually played a route, it seemed like a normal romance VN outside of the premise.

Steins;Gate Ryouku Renri no Darling - This is actually translated, somehow. I don't remember much of it, but it's just silliness and fanservice, I think.

Oblivious Garden - Chinese VN with interesting setting. The translation isn't consistently good, bu there's a number of princesses to romance. I don't remember if I finished a full route, but it seemed pretty traditional.

--Things I Haven't Played--

Period

Princess Waltz

You seem to not have touched the Shuffle Fandiscs. You could do those. There's also a couple of Da Capo ones, about the red-haired girls.

Check my list here for other stuff I've accumulated but didn't play.

VN/Game mix:

Spoiler

Bunny Black series - The gameplay may be infuriating to you, and the protagonist may seem evil, but they do do their best to portray romance in these circumstances. And as far as I'm concerned, they succeeded very well.

Evenicle - The epitome of romantic harem. The very point of the premise is polygamy, and a whole lot of the story is just the protagonist spending time with his wives or the wives getting along with one another. If you think you'd like polygamy, you should play this! It is, however, a bit grindy and the protagonist is one hell of a pervert. Though he's full of love. (Also has some extreme content...)

Kamidori - Surprisingly wholesome story where you get into a relationship with a bunch of non-human girls, as well as one main heroine. The whole game is essentially about helping people out. Very nice.

If you want me to list the more romantic nukige (that means, sex primarily for love, and nothing really going into extremes), just ask.

26 minutes ago, Naterocks2000 said:

I've seen this one around, its art style just turns me off immensely but it probably won't be much different than what Kanon looked like. Might give it a read, thanks!

The comedy was hilarious (to me) and the girls are pretty unique. I just don't get the thing that's going on in the background... It's so weird.

Edited by Mr Poltroon
Added reply to quote.

3 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I will literally spew forth a list of Visual Novels with a romantic element. I will assume the shorter ones that are more like a nukige are not within your sphere of interest. Most of these will not be to your tastes due to sheer statistic probability. Beware.

VNs:

Hide contents

A Profile - It has a couple of interesting twists, I found, and I really liked the protagonist over the course of them. That said, I think people find the twists kind of cheap or predictable and the protagonist infuriating. At any rate, I liked it!

Butterfly Soup - Like the name indicates, this is a soupy mishmash of themes and stories, and lesbian romance is one of them. One that absolutely excelled, in my eyes.

Cinderella Phenomenon - An Otome where you play as a Tsundere. Beware, the protagonist is a complete bastard at the start, but there's no tsundere without the 'dere'... Rest assured she learns many a life lesson.

Crimson Grey - Dating a yandere... The setting attempts to portray itself as mildly sensical and realistic, and you're given a lot of choice on how to deal with her. I absolutely loved the choices you could make to stay with her. If you play this, the sequel (which continues from a good end) is awesome for seeing their relationship and how it has developed!

Highway Blossoms - A yuri visual novel about a couple of girls going on a modern American adventure. Nothing more, nothing less, but you may love their relationship and their little adventure.

Heart of the Woods - And once you're done with Highway Blossoms, some of the same guys went on to make this: A modern Fairytale. Probably better as a story and as a romance than the excellent Highway Blossoms.

Hitomebore - A story about helping and falling in love with a bullied girl with unique physical characteristics. Very sweet, and also very short.

Katahane - Just putting it here in case you haven't seen it. It doesn't really have much traditional romance, but it has the same artist as something else you've played.

Kodoku ni Kiku Yuri - Super old Yuri short story. It got a new release recently, so I'm hoping the translation is a bit better than it was back when I played it.

Love Ribbon - Good story about lesbian incest.

Muv-Luv - I see for some reason you haven't touched Muv-Luv. Though its sequel Muv-Luv: Alternative and the second part of this game Muv-Luv: Unlimited are not romance, the majority of this game is. So just play Muv-Luv: Extra and ignore everything else. It's completely independent from the rest of the stories and there is no need to play them.

My Girlfriend is the President Fandisc - Any reason you haven't played it? I didn't either, actually.

Never7 - Though the series this is from is mostly seen sci-fi and lots of twists on the player, the first of the titles, Never7, is the most traditional romance. Most of the routes end up being pretty good romances, if in pretty unique circumstances. And the extra scenarios once you finish help that further.

One Thousand Lies - Presented without comment. I recommend you play it, but I don't want to spoil anything. You can just consider this a comedy VN.

Kindred Spirits on the Rooftop - More yuri. Yuritopia. It's all about gay ghosts trying to help all the gay couples in an all-girls school. The art is super-fluffy and the romances are cute. Also the protagonist is so cool! Despite being completely normal.

School Days - Say hello to controversy! It is a romance game, and you can get some perfectly legitimate and romantic romance out of it, but you can also get a lot of crazy and evil stuff. If you stick to the more romantic plotlines and fidelity, it can actually be pretty sweet. Shiny Days, if you can get it to work, does the same thing and is slightly less immoral and evil about it.

Shinigami no Kiss - Surprised you haven't played this. I only played the two girls' routes, but those are straight romances.

Shining Song Starnova - It's certainly a romance, but it has a niche theme and a pretty dark view on the idol industry it uses as a setting. Ultimately things end well, but...

Starlight Vega - Demons! Magic! Yuri! - A lot of things happen around here, but it's an ultimately sweet romance.

Steam Prison - An otome with a mostly harsh story, but things vary wildly from route to route. Some are wholesome and romantic, and some are more difficult with few ways forward that don't bring sadness. Because of the circumstances changing so much with each route, a lot of different romance stories can be experienced.

The Language of Love - This just came out. A mostly wholesome story about romancing a single mum with a daughter. Let's learn how to become a father figure...

The Second Reproduction - An otome with a story I very much enjoyed. That aside, the romances are good! Me like! Unlike other Otome, a couple properly does things together.

Tomoyo After ~Wonderful Everyday~ - A story starring a couple. There are different versions for this game and in the one I played the very true end was terrible. Hopefully it has changed in the more recent version.

-- Haven't Finished --

Amnesia: Memories - Otome with crazy happenings that is technically all about dating...? Protagonist doesn't talk. Not that we can see, anyway. She has something else voicing her inner thoughts.

Little Miss Lonesome - Another otome; this time with loads of comedy and sex! I was put off when I thought this was mostly sex, but it isn't really. Most of it is just the protagonist being a giant antisocial mess. There's a guy that sounds like he's abusive but... nope. The people he deals with on a daily basis are just so crazy and stubborn he has to be like that.

Canvas 2 - Not exactly the best translation, but it is a traditional romance story... except the protagonist is an art teacher and he can romance a teacher. That aside, the voice of Michiru from Grisaia voices one of the heroines here; it's great!

Otoboku - A VN that surprised me with how much I actually liked the writing. The protagonist dresses as a girl (and is voiced by one and acts like one and...) and though I never actually played a route, it seemed like a normal romance VN outside of the premise.

Steins;Gate Ryouku Renri no Darling - This is actually translated, somehow. I don't remember much of it, but it's just silliness and fanservice, I think.

Oblivious Garden - Chinese VN with interesting setting. The translation isn't consistently good, bu there's a number of princesses to romance. I don't remember if I finished a full route, but it seemed pretty traditional.

--Things I Haven't Played--

Period

Princess Waltz

You seem to not have touched the Shuffle Fandiscs. You could do those. There's also a couple of Da Capo ones, about the red-haired girls.

Check my list here for other stuff I've accumulated but didn't play.

VN/Game mix:

Hide contents

Bunny Black series - The gameplay may be infuriating to you, and the protagonist may seem evil, but they do do their best to portray romance in these circumstances. And as far as I'm concerned, they succeeded very well.

Evenicle - The epitome of romantic harem. The very point of the premise is polygamy, and a whole lot of the story is just the protagonist spending time with his wives or the wives getting along with one another. If you think you'd like polygamy, you should play this! It is, however, a bit grindy and the protagonist is one hell of a pervert. Though he's full of love. (Also has some extreme content...)

Kamidori - Surprisingly wholesome story where you get into a relationship with a bunch of non-human girls, as well as one main heroine. The whole game is essentially about helping people out. Very nice.

If you want me to list the more romantic nukige (that means, sex primarily for love, and nothing really going into extremes), just ask.

The comedy was hilarious (to me) and the girls are pretty unique. I just don't get the thing that's going on in the background... It's so weird.

The third list please, the Romantic nukige list

2 hours ago, N_G said:

The third list please, the Romantic nukige list

Nukige with Romance - For this, I will be considering romantic routes to count, even if there's other content.

Spoiler

--Completely Consensual--

Boku to Nurse - You're working at a hospital, but then meet a nurse who used to be a friend in highschool. You end up falling in love.

Cute Demon Crashers - Perhaps my favourite sex game. It's cute, everyone's incredibly sweet and respectful, and it's great all around.

Momoiro Closet - This one IS extreme, but in odd ways. It has two routes: One is sweeter and more grounded in reality, and the other is off to pervertedness. Still, it is funnier than it is sexy, I found.

Mutiny!! (Gameplay) - It isn't quite a nukige, but close enough. The story is mainly about adventuring, but has a romance with one of the crewmembers as an aside. The protagonist (and some of the crew) are very open sexually, so all kinds of stuff goes on, but by the end you can end up getting together with somebody. I loved Nemui's route in particular, and would recommend anyone and everyone to start with her.

Sacrament Sheep - The more inconspicuous younger sibling of Ne no Kami (which I haven't played, but would recommend anyway), this title is short and plays on a simple gimmick: When the two main characters are together, you can switch between perspectives at will, allowing you to see the thoughts both are having at the same time. A short though relatively intense romance.

SonoHana series - Whilst on the topic of yuri nukige, this series is the father of them all, having been one of the first getting translated. If you keep in mind this is a nukige, the characters all love each other plenty.

Wanko to Kurasou - The nukige/moege mix people hate because of the protagonist apparently being some sort of superman. He's not the nicest of guys, but he grows out of it. I loved this one because in one of the routes he lives with his girlfriend, who is kind of a pervert, so a lot of funny stuff goes on. There's also a bunch of anthropomorphic pets and a whole society around that -- See Karakara and Nekopara.

Sweet Home and Sagara Family - These two are the same sort of thing: You move in with a family with only girls and things happen and you can end up choosing to romance one (or all). I think you're forced to have intimate encounters with more than one person before you get into a route. Nevertheless, Risa's route in Sweet Home is very sweet indeed.

Koihime Musou (Gameplay) - At the start it doesn't seem like it, but... By the end you'll be ploughing through romantic events one after the other. Relationships are pursued with multiple people, though you have three main ones to choose from, like Kamidori.

--Not Quite Consensual--

Desire Dungeon (Gameplay) - A dungeon populated by monster girls that you're not allowed to kill, and won't kill you, either. I suggest you venture down the dungeon and attempt to figure out the secret of the dungeon.

Re;Lord (Gameplay) - A somewhat deluded yet somewhat powerful demon goes on a quest to defend his homeland from attacks from witches, and someone really stupid managed to get it inside his head that he should rape those he defeats. The girls are... kind of too befuddled to really mind? These are supposedly rape scenes, but everyone's too confused to care during or after the affair. They attacked first, I guess. Not a clear-cut romance, so you may want to skip this.

Quest Failed - For the most part, you like the monster girls and they like you, but they end up getting carried away too much...

I can also add a couple of RPGMaker games with what is probably romance:

Spoiler

The Dungeon of Lulu Farea (Gameplay) - You are an adventurer that loves monster girls, so, when you encounter them in dungeons, you show your love, forcibly. The girls end up resigning to it. Everyone's happy by the end, I suppose. Puzzle game. Needs external patch.

Do you have AKIRA points? (link NSFW) - A childhood friend moves in with you, using a free room. In order to pay you back, she begins concocting strange situations to tease you...

Also, here's two I forgot to add to the previous list:

The Confines of the Crown

Sisterly Bliss - Yuri game with both dark and happy routes for each side of the relationship.

@Mr Poltroon I'm not going to quote that entire list because that's too much. I'll proceed down it and talk about a few of what you gave me.

A Profile - Never knew this existed, will put it in my to-read list.

Crimson Grey- I have read this one a while back, it was pretty decent. I forgot to put this one on my list it seems

Katahane - are you talking about Hinatabokko having the same art?

Muv-Luv - I actually started reading this one but it just fizzled out for me, shame that Kimi ga Nozomu Eien will never see a translation it seems though.

My Girlfriend fandisc - I didn't particularly care about the story anymore after 4 long routes. Maybe I'll go back to it sometime

Never7 - I actually already have this installed but I've never read it, thanks for reminding me of it!

School Days - Man, oh man, I could fill an entire page with my hatred of this VN's characters and their stupid antics. Yeah I've read this one, but I didn't put it on my list I guess. I also tried Shiny Days some time ago and had too many technical issues and read something else.

Shinigami - Never even heard of this one, though the character with the scythe reminds me of Mare from Hoshizora

Shining Song - Never heard of this one as well, will give it a read

Tomoyo After - Haven't read this one because I heard the true end was garbage.

Canvas 2 - Never heard of this one I don't think, I'll give it a try

Otoboku - HdR gave me enough of the feminine MC for my entire lifetime

The rest really aren't my forte as I don't usually read Yuri VNs, though I have read a few not on my list. As well as otome games not being something I'm really interested in, as it is harder for me to connect with a female protagonist when I pick the choices and the like. (Though I really don't mind female protagonists as Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun [shoujo manga] had a decent protag)

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see, from what I can see at your list I guess I can recommend something like Wind and Kana Little Sister (As long as you okay with incest). If you want more, then perhaps you can try both of Koi iru Chu Lips (Yes I'd recommend it) and Suika. I hope that my recommendations here would be helpful to you in case you still didn't read those VNs.