Medieval/fantasy setting games search

Cmeow123

Hello,
As crazy as this sounds I study (academically) medieval themed video games and right now I'm delving into the world of Japanese/Asian game and visual novels. One of the main areas I am interested in is Japanese/Asian games aimed primary towards female audiences so I was hoping you all could help me gather a list. I'm looking for any and all games (both fan made or official) that are set in the Medieval west or fantasy. They can either have a male protagonist or female protagonist but there has to be some female characters in it somewhere. Audience age range can be anything as well. 

Note: for the purpose of my study visual novels are included in the category of digital games. Basically anything digital with a dialogue tree is counted as games for me.

On a side note, one game i am currently looking for this is this one: faith/Puella : la Sorcière d’Orléans https://vndb.org/v13191  However, I am unable to find a download link so i'm hoping someone here might help me out. 

TLTR:
Looking for: Medieval and fantasy themed
Audience age range: Any
Official or fan made: Both
Male or female protagonist: Both

Edited by Cmeow123

Some time ago I made a list containing pretty much all VNs officially released in english. When going through them I found that a lot of phone VNs are otome VNs often with Medieval setting. I would recommend checking through titles from NTT Solmare CorporationOtomate and  Design Factory Co., Ltd. Think those should have a good amount of what you are looking for.

Edited by bakauchuujin

It's not an otome (the authors mention that they didn't make it with people of a specific gender in mind), but some chapters in The House of Fata Morgana are set in the Middle Ages.

I'm not really a big expert on otome, but, from what I know, it's pretty common for the otome games to be set in pseudo-medieval fantasy worlds. I recommend The Second Reproduction as something I myself played, but, like I said, there are many games like that.

2 hours ago, tahu157 said:

Orfluers - You might need a somewhat liberal interpretation of "medieval" to make this one fit. The brothers are all knights (I think) so that's why I’m posting it, but most of the screenshots seem like the setting is a bit later than "medieval."

Anything even slightly inspired by the medieval is great. The idea is how people use the medieval. 

2 hours ago, Cmeow123 said:

As crazy as this sounds I study (academically) medieval themed video games and right now I'm delving into the world of Japanese/Asian game and visual novels.

Wow, is it a fellow popculture scholar finding its way to Fuwa? What's your faculty, if you don't mind me asking? ^^

I think people already listed the most important examples, but you'll probably get the most comprehensive answer if you ask this question on r/otomegames subreddit. Visual novels produced by Western otaku (which is my field of "expertise") have some very interesting fantasy worlds (An Octave Higher or SoulSet are very cool examples), but I'm not sure if this kind pseudo-Japanese media are of any interest to you.

15 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Wow, is it a fellow popculture scholar finding its way to Fuwa? What's your faculty, if you don't mind me asking? ^^

I think people already listed the most important examples, but you'll probably get the most comprehensive answer if you ask this question on r/otomegames subreddit. Visual novels produced by Western otaku (which is my field of "expertise") have some very interesting fantasy worlds (An Octave Higher or SoulSet are very cool examples), but I'm not sure if this kind pseudo-Japanese media are of any interest to you.

I'm a Medieval Historian moving into neomedivalism. I'm analysing the ways different people view the Middle Ages (in video games) in comparison to current scholarship and if this has any effect on contemporary ideologies and views of the period. Right now i'm in the very early scouting phase for primary sources. I need to remove the Otome part of this post really as my work in note limited to that. Really, right now, it's focused on how Japanese (and other Eastern countries) present medieval women/characters in comparison to how the West do it. So anything at all works. Honestly, from what I have found, visual novels could very well be an entire chapter in my work. I focus primarily on Otome games right now as they tend to have female audience members in mind. 

Edited by Cmeow123

40 minutes ago, Cmeow123 said:

I'm a Medieval Historian moving into neomedivalism. I'm analysing the ways different people view the Middle Ages (in video games) in comparison to current scholarship and if this has any effect on contemporary ideologies and views of the period. Right now i'm in the very early scouting phase for primary sources. I need to remove the Otome part of this post really as my work in note limited to that. Really, right now, it's focused on how Japanese (and other Eastern countries) present medieval women/characters in comparison to how the West do it. So anything at all works. Honestly, from what I have found, visual novels could very well be an entire chapter in my work. I focus primarily on Otome games right now as they tend to have female audience members in mind. 

Oh, that's actually super-interesting. I honestly don't see this kind of analyses from historians, usually its cultural scholars (or more rarely antropologists and sociologists like me) that delve into this kind of stuff. Otome game should indeed provide you with tons of material, as they more often delve into historical drama than male-oriented VNs (i.e eroge) with their obsession with highschool romance. There are significant exceptions though, so yeah, a lot to work with. ^^

Assuming you meant medieval Europe and swords and sorcery fantasy based in such a setting..

Ou no Mimi ni wa Todokanai

Hyakka Ryouran Elixir

Racial Merge

The Kyonyuu Fantasy series (though this is an 'alternate history' where  humans bred with sentient non-humans)

Boku no Te no Naka no Rakuen

Edit:

Asian Medieval historic fantasy:

Shin Koihime Musou  (The Three Kingdoms era, when the bureaucracy of Empire was replaced by warlord kings)

Sengoku Koihime (Japan's Sengoku Jidai period, at the peak of the era of independent feudal lords)