• Komorie Suzu
    • Komorie Nanaru
  2. 2. Best Route

• Kisu Shiina
    • Narutaki Maho
    • Komorie Suzu
    • Komorie Nanaru

2 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

I'm curious as to what the original text of this was but taking a dig at those 18+ OELVNs on steam :sachi:

That's what it says in the Japanese line too, I don't think it was specifically targeted at OELVNS though.

17 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

A general disconnect from each scene. Just feels like a goddamn anime with no actual progression. That continued into Nanaru's route. There are also problems with any drama that goes on. Like, seriously. The drama in this VN ranges from meh to incredibly weak. Finally, I did say it had some funny sections, but there are also quite a few sections that made me groan in annoyance.

Also, I can't really say I'm liking it. Sure, the common route was decent, but I wouldn't rate it higher than a 6.5. Nanaru's route was so mixed in terms of quality that it ended up with a 5.3 overall. I really don't want to read Suzu's route either, as she is easily the weakest heroine.

I'm calling BS here. There is no way that route is a 5.3. I'd say it's very much a 5.4, at the very least. 

2 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

I'm curious as to what the original text of this was but taking a dig at those 18+ OELVNs on steam :sachi:erjv5s.png

They might actually target the developers for making vita and ps4 versions etc.

13 minutes ago, Ramaladni said:

I'm calling BS here. There is no way that route is a 5.3. I'd say it's very much a 5.4, at the very least. 

Nope. Never would i give it anything higher than 5.25

Edited by Stormwolf

5 hours ago, ArgentstR said:

That's what it says in the Japanese line too, I don't think it was specifically targeted at OELVNS though.

oh really? They mentioned steam? Does steam have a JP store? never knew that 

Well more like bashing stuff like the Sakura games or those 18+ puzzle games :makina:

2 hours ago, Ramaladni said:

How did you get that from that line? To me, she's throwing a jab at companies such as S****i Proje*t (censored to protect their identity) that charge a premium for sexual content.

I'm pretty sure she's talking about making eroge with the intention to cut them and putting them on steam, rather than clearly deciding to make a 18+ game or not.
I'm not so sure the writers and Japanese readers are familiar enough with the English market to make specific jabs at the practices of localization companies.

Edited by ArgentstR

6 hours ago, ArgentstR said:

I'm pretty sure she's talking about making eroge with the intention to cut them and putting them on steam, rather than clearly deciding to make a 18+ game or not.
I'm not so sure the writers and Japanese readers are familiar enough with the English market to make specific jabs at the practices of localization companies.

Guess here you could think about companies like Lose. For example, you have Maitetsu where all the sexual content is some kind of...alternate event (or simply cut out from the main game), and is all accessed through an extra menu. A trend I hope other companies don't pick up.

Edited by Ramaladni

On 6/3/2019 at 3:56 PM, Ramaladni said:

How did you get that from that line? To me, she's throwing a jab at companies such as S****i Proje*t (censored to protect their identity) that charge a premium for sexual content.

If by "premium" you mean "charge the customary price", then yeah.  $39.99 was a pretty standard price back in the old days, for games like Kango Shicyauzo or Come See Me Tonight.  Sekai Project just gets hate because they give people discounts.

Overall I liked the VN, it felt short though. Esp after a route starts its around 2 hours of SoL stuff and around 4 H-scenes and you are done. 

The comedy was the traditional 'boke' 'tsukkomi' style which I dont think I've ever read another VN that done it. Since I'm a big fan of Gintama I enjoyed that a lot :sachi:. The 4th wall breaks were funny, esp when Shiina tells you to make a choice.

The common route was not bad, involved the typical school/club SoL with elements of comedy.  I've seen people calling the MC a pervert and stuff but didnt realyl see that, he just jokes around with Nanaru most of the time and thats how they communicate. He doesn't really do it with the other girls.

The routes were a mixed bag, I started with the 'love triangle'(Maho/Shiina) one and it was pretty good

I liked the way they handled the love triangle in both instances, like Maho finally realising the mistake she made was a nice touch

After you get past that and enter one of their routes though its pretty short, they could've expanded a bit more but atleast they didnt make it unnecessarily long like Hoshi Ori (Stil lhavnent finished that, takes too long :pyaa:

The sister triangle routes were disappointing though, I've done Nanaru and even then had to skip a bit of it and only a bit of Suzu and it wasnt even half as interesting as Maho/Shiina's one. Dont think i'll finish it. 

Another thing, I liked that the parents had sprites and actually got involved a fair bit in comparison to other VNs where they are either working overseas or 'works till late' :vinty:

Wish they did more with the side-routes other than just add them in as a joke.(Cara and Akane)

You essentially time-skip to 2 months and they tell you in text that 'somehow you started dating' and you get some SoL stuff on their first date or sth and 2 H-scenes, thats it lol. The other characters dont even show up. Esp with Akane it was disappointing

and on the translation, it was good. I saw people saying its too Westernized but I doubt most of us would understand the actual references they made had they not changed it. The Quality was good as usual from NekoNyan. Man they still got like 4 releases to go for this year, not sure how they manage to do it so fast.

I'd give it a 7. Needed more of it, would like to see more of Asa Project stuff localized :mare: Maybe next year

hoshiori, fureraba and this vn has very low plot..... basically get a girl, enjoy scenes with that said girl and done, your finished. fureraba has cute scenes, hoshiori has.... idk.. long scenes? and this has 4 wall break that compensates for the lack of plot.

the only plot this vn have is the triangle part but its still low. good vn regardless.

i wish that they reduced the amount of h-scenes in favor of how the bl girl fell in love with the MC.

• 2 months later...

I just finished this visual novel. Here's my review.

TLDR, while it didn't make my top 10 VNs of all time as I hoped, it's still pretty up there. It's absolute major strength was its comedy. It's been a while since I've laughed so consistently at a VN or even anime or other media. Sure, some characters were more consistently funny than others but I still enjoyed it. The characters were pretty likable as a whole and their interactions were fun and there were some occasional heartwarming moments that I eat up well. They also pulled the friendship aspect pretty while without any cheesy power of friendship stuff which I always appreciate. The fact that the whole club were otaku made their personalities/interests much more relatable than most anime/VN slice of life characters to someone like me.

I would say the weakest part of the VN was the romance...which wasn't bad per se, it just clearly wasn't the focus and got minimal development for the most part. Also the fact two routes are a blood and step sister made the romance parts a bit too awkward for me. Apparently Asa Project puts sister romance in their VNs so I'm kinda hesitant to try new VNs by them even though they have great comedy writing.

The art music and presentation was standard moe stuff. Pretty good. I did like a few songs in particular One Summer Day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAASDG1oSqU and it's piano version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-zoCrRNx9g which I listened to a bunch outside the VN already. I thought the bookmarking system was weird compared to the usual Save/Load system since you can't overwrite saves, only Create and Delete. However having the VN auto organize saves by available routes is a cool idea.

As far as personal character rankings go:

TLDR
Shiina > Cara > Nanaru > Suzu > Akane > Maho > Prez > Sousuke

• Sousuke was kind of a typical protag. Had some silly moments but ultimately was just the usual
  • Prez was funny with his gacha humor but ultimately was just a joke character many of the cast often forgot existed.
  • Maho was kind of a straight man usually... I would say her most appealing thing was her childhood friend romance was actually pretty interesting and representing fighting games is pretty cool. I'd go to EVO (Japan) with her.
  • Akane only really had 2 jokes: laziness and BL. But the jokes were usually so funny it didn't matter.
  • Suzu surprised me a bit. While she wasn't as consistently funny as Akane, she had a surprising amount of comedy for a typical domestic nice girl. Has the ocassional great no chill direct insults, funny passive aggressive humor, the dead eyes face + robot talk, action media references, innocent but not innocent remarks, and her confused naive smile face.
  • Nanaru the ultimate parody of 2D Idol fans. But even outside that she was just a total goofball who was basically all over the place in terms of being the weirdo, being the straight man, being the wing(wo)man, and just... had the best set of faces. Smug, angry, crying, ded, smug again, etc faces were all great. Definitely a constant fun time.
  • Cara... the way she TALKS is so weird and makes no sense but sounds hilarious at the same time. Basically almost any time she had voice acting or was on screen I was at least smiling cuz of the how she talks. However, unlike a lot of foreigner humor she surprisingly has a pretty diverse amount of humor kinda like Suzu. She can be the rando goof ball like everyone else when she talks about her history shit, she can be a straight man depending on the situation, and a lot of her remarks related to cosplay (mostly towards the beginning) seem relatable in the cosplay world but also funny especially considering her weight when she started off.
  • Shiina. Well let's just say I liked Shiina so much that I almost considered giving the VN a 10/10 for her alone. For better or worse she in theory should be the ultimate wish fulfillment waifu since she likes eroge, constantly makes references and is deredere and all that stuff. She basically reminded me of Miyako Shiina from MajiKoi (whos my fav character from there) for similar-ish humor style but replacing the childhood friend stuff with eroge senpai stuff. I've seen people say she's too loud/suffocating or kind of an asshole which I get and I guess objectivley she is. But I thought basically EVERY time (I might not even be exaggerating) she was extremely funny or at least entertaining. Her constant references to eroge and using it as love/life advice, constant hilarious pervert humor, and her lack of tact even compared to the rest of the group was executed so hilariously i dont even care that she was technically being insensitive/mean/asshole-y. Even the little things like using 'chin'/'peen' as a sexual honorific for everyone was hilarious. I also liked the moments where she was the surprisingly wingman even with her obviously bad eroge love advice and the moments you can tell she just wants to be friends with everyone but just kinda sucks at. The only kinda flaw I have with her is she has the typical trap of being shy when in actual romantic relationship/talk despite the usual pervert talk which is boring but it didn't affect her route much thankfully.

I also liked Shiina so much I made a favorite moments album of her
https://imgur.com/a/ktXG7M9 

As far as route rankings go...

TLDR 

Maho > Shiina > Cara > Akane > Suzu > Nanaru

• Nanaru- So as said in my original post, I thought the sister dating part was... weird even if Nanaru is just a step sister. It didn't help Nanaru's first few chapters were really weird drama to kinda force the two together. When they got together the usual comedy came back but it still was kinda weird.
  • Suzu- Basically the same thoughts as Nanaru BUT it had less weird dunb drama, and there was much better comedy before the romance started. Still the post romance stuff was just...odd especially since they're blood related. They did kinda point out how their romance wouldn't be easily accepted and that part was more interesting than Nanaru where even was just cool with it instantly...but still.
  • Akane- A short route that was just Akane explaining why she likes BL so much which was really funny. Then they just got in the obviously rushed romance. IT would be worse but they clearly parodied this being a short/minor route so I ended up kinda liking it anyway.
  • Cara- For all intents and purposes, this was basically equal to Akane's route due to both having the same structure of it being short/minor and being parodied as such. It's slightly higher cuz I like Cara more as a character and there's a particular joke that had me dying laughing enough to put it above AKane.
  • Shiina- Outside some Maho stuff, this was the least drama-filled route which was fine and made sense considering Shiina's character and how 'easy' it would be to get with her. Still they actually properly built up the relationship before the (really hilarious) confession scene instead of just making it an ez nukige style route like I expected. And it's Shiina so seeing more of her hilarious lines is always a plus.
  • Maho- You could call me a sucker for childhood romance. And unlike many cases, I actually think it was done really well in this VN. The friends actually had a VERY good reason for not being together right away despite how obviously close they were and I liked the development and drama and stuff related to it. Of course this still has a lot of funny lines, especially since Shiina was still part of the love triangle in this route. Even more fighting game references as a fighting game fan was also nice to see.

Closing Thoughts

As said in opening post, I really enjoyed the visual novel as a whole. While the sisters' routes did bring down my ratings from a potential top 10 or even 10/10 VN to a top 15/20 VN and a 9/10 rating, I really enjoyed what I got. I heard previous Asa Project VNs have even more sister related stuff so I'm kinda hesitant to check others out for that content but considering how funny the comedy was (which is what I came and stayed for) in this VN I might still go for them anyway. If you want a funny ass visual novel with lots of relatable otaku stuff covered (Action anime, Idol Anime, eroge, fighting games, cosplay, BL, gacha games) highly recommend reading this!

Thanks to NekoNyan / Neb Neb, akerou, tbac, Chuee, kiriya, Saki, haerts, and Ssparks for their work on this very enjoyable VN.