What are "Classic" VNs?

Oxygen

As for the classics, well it's depend on each of their own so it's not exactly the most objective matter here. But if you want my example here, perhaps Kichikuou Rance could qualify because it's sort of the Swan Song for Rance franchise back at 1996, and that VN save the whole franchise so much that it'd continuing for 20 years more with the last VN was Rance X back at 2018 (By the way most of the new Rance VNs (5D to X) plot origin can be traced back to Kichikuou). Other than that, I guess both of Kanon and ToHeart can qualify seeing that both of their company (KEY and Leaf respectively) were very well-known. I guess that's all for what I can say about classics VN, and I hope it could help you there.

PS - As for Dracu Riot, there's leaked patch out there so if you want to play it in English you can do it. If you still have doubt, try the patch first and if you find no problem in regard of the translation, you can continuing on that. It's far more better compared to waiting until Sekai have the mood to thaw Dracu Riot.

19 hours ago, Oxygen said:
19 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

I haven't read it, but i think the first chapter is the vanilla chapter and the vn goes batshit crazy from now on.

Good to know. Higurashi does something similar, right? I get that the point is to mess with our expectations and build investment first, but it's not exactly compelling in massive dosages. 

As a person who finished it, I confirm that it's exactly like what Stormwolf said. The first chapter is relatively short, so if you bear with it, you will be happy later.

On 24/05/2019 at 2:53 PM, Oxygen said:

Have you heard of Solaris? My very loose criteria for classics is: timeless, innovative/evocative, genre transcending/defining and multi-layered. You can pick it up over and over again and still get something more out of it. It's not gimmicky and reliant on crutches or pandering. To me at least, Lord of The Rings is classic, Game of Thrones is not. Farenheit 451 is classic, Divergent is not. 

Solaris is well-known if you ask people who care about literature instead of a visual novel forum. :makina:

That said, off the top of my head:

FSN, Muv Luv, Clannad, Steins;Gate, G-Senjou, Higurashi.

On 5/30/2019 at 7:19 AM, Flutterz said:

Solaris is well-known if you ask people who care about literature instead of a visual novel forum. :makina:

That said, off the top of my head:

FSN, Muv Luv, Clannad, Steins;Gate, G-Senjou, Higurashi.

Well known among niche groups isn't really the same thing. Most people don't even know what a visual novel is, so a "well known" visual novel is a very different thing from a well known book. 

42 minutes ago, Oxygen said:

Well known among niche groups isn't really the same thing. Most people don't even know what a visual novel is, so a "well known" visual novel is a very different thing from a well known book. 

Literature fans aren't a very niche group, at least when it comes to the question of "what is a classic book". And a classic something would have to at least be well-known among the group of people that enjoy that something, at least imo.