Friendship routes

Silvz

Just for the sake of my curiosity, I was wondering if there are games with multiple routes where instead of romancing the boy/girl of each route the game presents a friendship-only relationship. I don't mean joke endings such as in Clannad, nor between people of the same gender. What I mean is a route based solely around friendship between the MC and the boy/girl

Edited by Silvz

I would say Nisekoi Yomeiri kind of has one. Of course most of the routes are romance routes but the Ruri route doesn't have romance in it. The main thing in the route is pretty much just trying not to get Ruri to hate you because of Shu (the main character's best friend) getting him involved in shit that piss her of. The route is more about remaining friend than becoming friends though so not sure it is what you had in mind.

Edited by bakauchuujin

7 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

I would say Nisekoi Yomeiri kind of has one.

Sorry for going kinda off topic in this thread, but does the VN repeat the story of the manga or is the plot unique (to whatever extent a romcom like this can have a unique story)? I liked the manga and would gladly see more of the characters' escapades whenever my Japanese has improved to the point where I can read this VN.

5 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

Sorry for going kinda off topic in this thread, but does the VN repeat the story of the manga or is the plot unique (to whatever extent a romcom like this can have a unique story)? I liked the manga and would gladly see more of the characters' escapades whenever my Japanese has improved to the point where I can read this VN.

It has unique plot, also I would really recommend it if you are a fan of Nisekoi, the routes are quite varied in tone and I feel they really do a good job with the characters and also does some interesting things with the choice system for comedic moments, like for instance playing cards against Chitoge. Personally I really liked reading it and gave it a 8.5 score on vndb.

Under is a review I made for it though it has some spoilers not major ones though, more so the general way the VN is built up

Spoiler

Nisekoi: Yomeiri!? is the first VN I ever read and where my profile picture is from. As for the VN itself I think it is really good, though it could in part be nostalgia since it is the first VN I read. The VN starts with Raku encountering a loli fox spirit named Otama who I would say works as a mascot for the VN. After the introduction you get a map of the school and of the city and then use that to choose who you want to have events with, after a few normal events with a girl you get a larger event that lasts longer and has a bit more impact and you continue with this until you get to the last event which can probably be considered her route. Each of their routes start with the girls going to the shrine connected to Otama and making a wish, Otama then fufills this wish in a way often not really expected or thought through by the one wishing it, thus creating a suituation that needs to be solved. As for the routes there are 6 in total, with 4 main routes that are romance focused one for each of the main heroines Chitoge, Kosaki, Marika and Seishirou and then extra routes unlocking after you have completed a route, one being the Ruri route (not romance but mainly about not making her hate you as Shuu involves you in things that piss her off) and the Raku route which can be considered the harem end, or rather the end where nothing happens. Chitoge's route is really emotional and something I think would fit in a nakige, Onodera's route is very nostalgic having many references to the main series while the other routes mainly focus on comedy (found most of them hilarious). As for gameplay there are a few minigames where you have to avoid being seen by someone (often the gangsters), then there are a few times where you get a few different hiragana that you need to combine to make a word that is your answer to something and lastly there is a health bar which mainly go down if a certain character gets mad at you and punches you or you eat something you shouldn't. I feel like these are the best implemented mini game systems I have seen so far in these kinds of VNs and while these unnecessary minigames that slow you down when you want to read other routes are annoying this one didn't feel all that annoying and a few times actually worked pretty well within the story. Just to end this of I wanted to say that it does a really good job using the characters to their full potential and that anyone who is a fan of Nisekoi, has a PS vita and know japanese should pick it up.

4 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Hmm, i'd think that friendship heroine routes would feel very unfulfilling at the end.

I think that depends a lot on what type of story it is. A friend route in a run-of-the-mill SoL VN would probably feel pretty uninteresting, but it should be fine in a VN with a decent plot at its core.