• Amagi Kaya
    • Sawashima Himeo
    • Kouno Asami
  2. 2. Which is the best ending?

• Hinosaka Mitoko (Main route)
    • Amagi Kaya
    • Sawashima Himeo
    • Kouno Asami

So yeah we finally have it released after almost two year of waiting according to Mangagamer's tweet here (Their next release is Amrilato at June 13th later for the info), and seeing that the writer is also WA2 writer anyone who play that should recognize some resemblance at Damekoi here. Lastly feel free to discuss it here, and I'll add more info (Also poll) later at this post.

Edit - As for the VN itself, since I already read some reviews and also already played a bit of WA2, I can say that Maruto here did use this VN as his stepping stone for WA2 later, or rather we can treat this as WA prototype. That aside, I like that this VN is still have a lot of good reception out there, and for now I can say that Damekoi here might be another candidate for the best VN at this year after Hoshiori, although of course we still need to wait until December later. Just in case you still unsure abut this VN, you can read the reviews (A lot of that) that was written by Conjueror (The translator), mod Clephas (At his usual blog), Yuumei (Beware A LOT of spoiler), Joyjason (You know this VN will be good when usually critical Joyjason say that this is his best VN), and Warum (Also have some spoiler). Since the reviews here contain some spoiler to the degrees and some of you may not like the spoiler very much, you can read some Mangagamer's post by the translator (Conjueror obviously) and the editor (Garejei who is also Conjueror's usual partner). Oh and while the reviews here did view Damekoi in very favorable light, it's still up to the reader though on how they'll appreciate it later.

For the premise, I wouldn't talk much abut it seeing that all of the reviews did good job to explain it. But in case you did want to avoid the spoiler by not read the review, I'll quote the introduction from Mangagamer site below.

Sometimes the world can be a harsh place, as 28-year old Osamu learns when he's wrongfully fired from his company. Jobless, penniless, and hopeless, he decides to take a stranger up on her kindness--only to find she's eloped and left the boarding house she invited him to in the hands of her daughter, Mitoko (16-year old). Mitoko isn't the only quirk of the boardinghouse though. There's also his forward new coworker, a scheming and wealthy young neighbor looking out for her friend, and Mitoko's own homeroom teacher, who's been having trouble with men in her private life. Can Osamu deal with all the eccentric women at his new place? Does he really have a choice? He's courting misfortune and misery, but will that truly be all he finds in his new home? Enjoy a tale filled with romance, drama, and comedy!

For the characters and seiyuu, let me write abut those below.

1. Hinosaka Mitoko

6398.jpg

The man heroine of Damekoi and she's more or less resemble Setsuna from WA in that she's very cheerful even though she's tsundere toward Osamu (And easily jealous as well), and from the opening her season is spring. Her setting is that she was left by her irresponsible mother and that she was left alone with heavy responsibilities to take care the boardinghouse (Including pay the bills) while at the same time she need to mind her future seeing that she was still in school, so obviously she need Osamu's support even though she denied it (Being tsundere and all). Her seiyuu is Taguchi Hiroko in which she have a lot of roles in VNs such as Kagami Sumika from Muv Luv franchise, Hinata Natsumi from Sharin, Suou Amane from Grsaia franchise, Yarai Miu from Dracu Riot, Masamune Shizuru from Noble Works, Tsukishma Kyou from Hatsukoi 1/1, Murasaki Hazuki from Dal Segno, Miyamura Miyako from ef, Kasugano Sora from Yosuga no Sora, and Kitsuki Riho from Koiresort.

2. Amagi Kaya

6400.jpg

Osamu's new forward coworker, and since I compared Mitoko to Setsuna then I would say that Kaya here did resemble Chiaki to a degree from the first glance. Also like Mitoko she also have her season at the opening, and in Kaya's case it's summer. Other than supposed coworker, she also like to tease Osamu whenever she got the chance and that she like to wear the sexy clothes much to Osamu's dismay (Although the reader may not mind too much though). Also like Osamu, she'd get fired from her previous job before she met Osamu. Her seiyuu is Sakurai Harumi, in that her roles are Kanemoto Akari from Noble Works, Takamori Haruka from Beat Blade Haruka, Kanami from Rance 03, Tokizaki Maya from Hatsukoi 1/1, Tokido Saya from Little Busters, Yayoi B. Lutwidge from Hapymaher, Lily from Himegari, and Kisaragi Mizuha from Gin'iro Haruka.

3. Sawashima Himeo

6401.jpg

The scheming and young neighbor character who also happen to be Osamu's rich neighbour, and also tends to show her jealousy towards Osamu because he can get more close to Mitoko (Himeo here is very close friend to Mitoko). Like the other Damekoi heroines, she have the season motif as well and for her it's autumn. As for her character resemblance like Mari she's also the MC's employer, although for her role in story wise Koharu might be even closer. As for her seiyuu she's the one who got two seiyuu for different version (Takahashi Ciaki for PC and Sakakibara Yui for PSV version), although since this is PC version I'll use the PC one. For Chiaki herself, her roles are Hayase Mitsuki from Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (And Muv Luv franchise), Ishtar from I/O, Kusunoki Yua from Chaos Head, Akamine Saiko from 11eyes, Sasaki Yuka from Swan Song, and Kanroji Nanami from School Days.

4. Kounou Asami

6399.jpg

Mitoko's homeroom teacher who always worry abut her, and also have a special connection with Osamu in that she's his former wife. She's also quite popular in that she's quite well known as being nice to the students, although she argue a lot with Mitoko though. As for her comparison, I would think that Kazusa would be the most obvious comparison here with her have the conflict with Osamu, and Osamu understandably have awkward meeting with her. As for her season, it's winter which is very obvious seeing that it's the only season left. Her seiyuu is Isshiki Hikaru (Real name Tanaka Ryouko) who like Mitoko's seiyuu also have a lot of roles, such as Narukana from Seinarukana, Makabe Midori from Hatsukoi 1/1, Hinaori Kagome from Comyu, Sakaki Yumiko from Grsaia franchise, Kawahara Sakuya from I/O, Neon Schalar Smilja from Gahkthun, Ichinotani Touko from Ayakashibito, and Kurugaya Yuiko from Little Busters.

I guess that's all for all of the info that I can gather here, and remember to not expect this as kamige (ie trapped in the hype) even though the reviews favor it very much.

Edited by littleshogun

It looks interesting, definitely going to buy this.

It would be great, if MG also ported and localized all ages console version - like they did with Princess Evangile. But I guess that slightly increased sales don't justify the extra effort.

Maybe I'll try reading all ages JP version, as it's hookable in emulator...? (But still going to buy MG version as well)

53 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Joyjason (You know this VN will be good when usually critical Joyjason say that this is his best VN).

Now, this review makes me really want to read it.

Edited by adamstan

15 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Read about four chapters in and, wow this is probably the only visual novel in which I actively despise all of the heroines except the main. It is usually quite the opposite with me. 

Bingo.  It's amazing how many unlikeable characters this game has.  I can recognize the quality of the VN, but I just don't like it.

4 minutes ago, Toranth said:

Bingo.  It's amazing how many unlikeable characters this game has.  I can recognize the quality of the VN, but I just don't like it.

I mean I still haven't finished a route. Starting off unlikable and going through an interesting arc that changers their personality, would definitely be satisfying, but Jesus are they starting at the bottom. 

Fingers crossed, we need more good visual novels with older protagonists. 

19 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Read about four chapters in and, wow this is probably the only visual novel in which I actively despise all of the heroines except the main.

I'm five chapters in and so far I'd say Kaya has made the best impression on me.
I find it very hard to like Mitoko. She's constantly being condecending towards Osamu and brushing it off as jokes (despite him obviously finding it more hurtful than funny due to his life situation), she's violent, extremely jealous and has a tendency to meddle in affairs that are none of her business. She reminds me a lot of Chisato from Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, who is one of the most dislikeable VN heroines I have ever encountered.
I'm sure my opinion will change over the course of the story, but as of this moment, I'd rate the heroines as follows:

Kaya - No issues
Asami - Tolerable
Mitoko - Almost intolerable
Himeo - Just plain awful

2 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

I'm five chapters in and so far I'd say Kaya has made the best impression on me.
I find it very hard to like Mitoko. 

Fair enough, I excused allot of Mitoko's shortcomings due to her age and stress brought on by her responsibilities. Kaya is definitely less terrible compared to the lot, but I feel she comes off a bit to strong

Spoiler

and I really disliked how she took advantage of Osamu's second firing, by getting him drunk and kinda forcing him to stay at her apartment. 

I've read a few more chapters and I will say that my views on Kaya and Asami are softening a bit, still quite a ways from "like", but no longer despise.

Himeo is still a rich selfish bitch though. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

6 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Fair enough, I excused allot of Mitoko's shortcomings due to her age and perceived stress brought on by her responsibilities. Kaya is definitely less terrible compared to the lot, but I feel she comes off a bit to strong

Hide contents

and I really disliked how she took advantage of Osamu's second firing, by getting him drunk and kinda forcing him to stay at her apartment. 

I've read a few more chapters and I will say that my views on Kaya and Asami are softening a bit, still quite a ways from "like", but no longer despise.

Himeo is still a rich selfish bitch though. 

Sounds like a dream for any man in such a situation. I'd certainly let a good looking wiman "take advantage" of me then 8) before fucking off after sex or in the morning. I havent read this yet so im only assuming thats what it was as no woman would ever do that for any other reason.

Just now, Stormwolf said:

Sounds like a dream for any man in such a situation. I'd certainly let a good looking wiman "take advantage" of me then 8) before fucking off after sex or in the morning. I havent read this yet so im only assuming thats what it was as no woman would ever do that for any other reason.

It seemed aggressively possessive and that she wanted it to be a long term arrangement.  

I'm getting seriously fed up with Himeo, to the point where I'm considering dropping her route, which I'm currently on. I've never done that in any VN before, so that should say something about how awful I think she is.
I get that she's "good at heart" or whatever and that she'll probably start acting kinder eventually, but I find it hard to believe that anything she can do at this point will redeem the fact that she's been acting like a total bitch, especially towards Osamu, for the entirety of the game so far.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:50 AM, Seraphim88 said:

I'm getting seriously fed up with Himeo, to the point where I'm considering dropping her route, which I'm currently on. I've never done that in any VN before, so that should say something about how awful I think she is.
I get that she's "good at heart" or whatever and that she'll probably start acting kinder eventually, but I find it hard to believe that anything she can do at this point will redeem the fact that she's been acting like a total bitch, especially towards Osamu, for the entirety of the game so far.

Spoiler

And juddging by the cg's she also gets lesbo action with main girl whom she's really after. Yep, not even going touch this vn.

4 hours ago, Goku Black said:

I literally created account for this: 

This game is awesome i was waiting for this game for 1.5 and it didn't disappoint me

Btw i need games like this,can you guys reccomend me games like damekoi?

Maybe Kazoku Keikaku 

White Album 2 if you can stand the bad translation or know Japanese