Angel Beats VN or anime?

Seraphim

I'm interested in either reading the VN or watching the anime, but I don't know which I should pick. I could watch the anime right away if I choose to do so, but I've heard that people generally think it's too short, with lack of backstories and whatnot. Is that issue addressed in the VN? I heard it has new content, but I didn't find much information about what that content actually is.
I also read that the story in the VN only goes up to episode 9 of the anime series, which means that the last 30-or-so percent of the main story is missing? Since it's called "1st beat", I'm guessing they plan to follow it up with "2nd beat" later on, but it's already been four years since 1st beat was released and it seems like they haven't made any announcements regarding a sequel yet.
Another downside to choosing the VN would be the fact that I'd have to wait until either my Japanese has improved to the point where I can read it in the original language, or until the English version is released sometime in the future.

Should I just go ahead and watch the anime now, or would I have a better experience if I wait and read the VN when I am able to do so?

Just watch the anime obviously seeing that judging from episode 1 in that they'd write three characters routes in that there's a lot of characters and obviously it mean that we'll have a very long wait if you want to see it finished, and not to mention that there's no word in regard of volume 2 development.

Edited by littleshogun

5 hours ago, Leonor said:

wait, the vn is cancelled?! D: Why??

It was never officially cancelled, however, for a VN that would supposedly consist of multiple beats (4 or 6), there has been precious little progress in making them. This may be because Jun Maeda is suffering from health problems. As such, until he recovers, it may be that no sequels will release.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

It was never officially cancelled, however, for a VN that would supposedly consist of multiple beats (4 or 6), there has been precious little progress in making them. This may be because Jun Maeda is suffering from health problems. As such, until he recovers, it may be that no sequels will release.

Fuck, it's something danger?

On 13/05/2019 at 8:50 PM, Mr Poltroon said:

Oooooh I see, I see :( Welp

• 2 years later...