Superhero genre suggestions.

ztrepzilius

Superheroes, in the strict sense of the word, are not really a thing in VNs... There are some exceptions though, Dengeki Stryker probably being the most notable one - it's currently heavily discounted on both Steam and MG store. Another outlier is Trample on Shatten!!, but I mostly heard bad things about it.

There's a cool freeware VN called Scrambled: Syd City which all revolves around low-level superheroes - a borderline parody of the genre, but with quite an interesting story.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

@Plk_Lesiak
Good example. Less suggestion than I expected like alien invasion due to action scene. I like how anime/manga portrayal of superheroes (i.e. magical girls or sentai) and wanted to how it's treated in VNs. On the VNDB page, some of them are nukige or not having English translation.

Edited by ztrepzilius

As @Plk_Lesiak says, superheroes, in the strict sense of the word, aren't really a thing in VNs. The term "superhero" wouldn't typically make me think of magical girls.

Could you list some anime to give more of an idea of what you're looking for?

Edited by Sayaka

I'm not aware of any VNs about superheroes. So I'll list some "chuuni" VNs, that have a lot of action....

* Sorcery Jokers . Magic users (like a steampunk JRPG) in an urban fantasy setting.

* Idol Magical Girl Chiru Chiru Michiru . A magical girl spinoff of the Grisaia series.

* Muv-Luv Trilogy. Goes from happy and fluffy slice of life ...... to mech combat against an alien invasion. Emotional feels and trauma galore.....

Other Chuuni VNs I havn't read, but are on my future read list....

* Dengeki Stryker

* The Shadows of Pygmalion

* Tokyo Babel

* Fatal Twelve

57 minutes ago, Sayaka said:

As @Plk_Lesiak says, superheroes, in the strict sense of the word, aren't really a thing in VNs. The term "superhero" wouldn't typically make me think of magical girls.

Could you list some anime to give more of an idea of what you're looking for?

1) Hard to describe, anime example: Astro Boy, Cyborg 009, My Hero Academia. I could also give live-action example like Power Rangers.

2)  I could also ask for magical girls VNs. I used the term "superhero" because some magical girls anime use villain of the week format including other overlapping tropes.
For example: 1. In episode 5, Alice went to the beach on holiday. Crabman terrorized the beachgoer. Alice transformed into Redheart and save the day by defeating Crabman.

Edited by ztrepzilius

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

I suppose that what you describe is more suited towards action games than VNs...

Yeah, I've seen this happen too in some rpg VNs. Granted, the action scene in VNs are depicted differently than anime or manga. I am fine with parody of superhero genre too.

@r0xm2n Good, now it is on sale.

Edited by ztrepzilius

Fate/Stay Night could be a suitable choice.

12 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

I'm not sure how complete this is, but there's actually a tag like that on vndb.

https://vndb.org/g628?fil=tagspoil-1.tag_inc-628;s=rating;o=d;m=0

The parent tag "superpowers" is wider and could bring up some more suitable matches:

https://vndb.org/g6?fil=tagspoil-0.tag_inc-6;m=0;o=d;s=rating

Maybe "fighting heroine" as well:

https://vndb.org/g65?fil=tagspoil-0.tag_inc-65;m=0;o=d;s=rating

As I mention above, I already tried " Superheroes" before this thread was created and disappointed with the result (nukige, looks bad or far from superhero genre). The "Superpowers" and "Fighting heroine " have wider but it become less accurate like showing "Princess Waltz" and "Kara no Shoujo". Thanks for the suggestion for searching with tags but better to leave the discussion about vndb tag there.

Edited by ztrepzilius

1 hour ago, Sayaka said:

You didn't explain that clearly, I also gave a specific VN suggestion... and now you're just being rude.

I'm not being rude. You misunderstood my post.

I'm not saying your answer is irrelevant. I was referring to the discussion about tags on vndb is done and you don't have discuss it any further.

Edited by ztrepzilius

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hetzer123 said:

I don't find OP's post rude other than I think @Sayaka calling OP rude would be rude itself.

If OP is interested in magical girl VN without 18+ content, try "How To Date A Magical Girl!".

a) OP edited their post, so you can't even tell what I found to be rude. I accept it could've been a matter of interpretation of phrasing.

b) this thread is over a week old

3 hours ago, Hetzer123 said:

If OP is interested in magical girl VN without 18+ content, try "How To Date A Magical Girl!".

It sucks though... I'd possibly even suggest Sakura Angels over it, that one at least doesn't waste your time with pointless gameplay mechanics. ;p

This, however, made me realize how few genuine magical girl VNs there are, especially in English. That's kind of crazy...

25 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

It sucks though... I'd possibly even suggest Sakura Angels over it, that one at least doesn't waste your time with pointless gameplay mechanics. ;p

This, however, made me realize how few genuine magical girl VNs there are, especially in English. That's kind of crazy...

Can you skip the gameplay part for How to date a magical girl?
Shame about lack of magical girl VNs.

54 minutes ago, ztrepzilius said:

Can you skip the gameplay part for How to date a magical girl?

No, as far as I can tell at least. It's a (pretty extensive) dating sim, but one that makes the gameplay parts pretty much completely meaningless with its plot twists. I have a generally low opinion of dating sims, as more often than not stat management is a pointless timesink, only distracting from the story content I actually care about, but this game goes a step further and makes it explicitly pointless. Thus, I can't really recommend playing it, but there are people that do enjoy it regardless. :>