VNs that need more attention

BIGendBolt

Abyss Homicide Club - Because it is a doujin game from 2009.  I've pushed it repeatedly on various lists, and I generally recommend it to people who like chuuni horror, but so far I've only managed to get a very small number of people to play it, sadly.

Gensou no Avatar- For similar reasons, a doujin game from long ago (in yall whipper-snappers' eyes, anyway).  This one I found interesting and generally enjoyed.

Iroha ~Aki no Yuuhi ni Kagefumi o~  - For some reason, this game doesn't seem to be very well known, but I found it to be a pleasant read. 

Ore no Tsure wa Hito de Nashi - a strange charage that popped up in 2010.  It was a decent read, but I've yet to converse with anyone who admits they read it besides myself, lol.

AXL games in general (besides Shugotate)- Perhaps because they are old-fashioned, AXL games rarely get played by Westerners.  People who can get past the somewhat old-style artwork (think 2009 or so) seem to fall in love, but that pretty much requires people like me constantly bugging their friends to try them...

Ouka - A weird game that has horrible artwork but a great story.  I recommend playing it even if you only play Saya's path (best true immortal heroine ever).  The story is excellent, and it has depths that are hard to see without playing it.

Jesus 13th - Another weird one, this time sort-of Cthulhu Mythos influenced.  It's one of those games that is hard to explain to others and you have choice but to just shove at them until they give up and play it. 

9 minutes ago, BIGendBolt said:

Abyss Homicide Club looks good. Is there a decent way to play in English? 

lol... it is really good, and no, there is no way to outright play it in English.  If you were desperate you could use a text hooker and MTL, but the writer has a taste for weird/old kanji so it probably wouldn't be even as reliable as the average MTL.  Of those I listed above, Hitodenashi and Ouka are the ones that would probably be the easiest to read (well, most AXL games aren't hard, so them too), but even they would probably have stumbling points.

I think Fatal Twelve didn't get enough attention because it's pretty much from a no-name company aiueo Kompany. Considering what some established franchise dared to deliver as a 'story', it's really painful to see this going almost unnoticed. It's not without flaws, but right along with Fata Morgana it's one of the best story VN's I've read in years. Judging by their former releases, it probably got about three years of development time - and it shows. It's clearly not one of those half-assed products where the plot was sacrificed to comply to an annual release cycle.

5 hours ago, Clephas said:

Ouka - A weird game that has horrible artwork but a great story.  I recommend playing it even if you only play Saya's path (best true immortal heroine ever).  The story is excellent, and it has depths that are hard to see without playing it.

Yes, Ouka!  A wonderful game, sadly unappreciated despite... wait a minute.  Saya?  Who's Saya?

Ouka, the remake of Shinkirou, is a surprisingly good game despite its heart as a charage.  Sayuki is a great immortal heroine, and her ending actually does the concept some justice.  The additional routes get into some light chuuni stuff, too, for those that want a break.

the fourth bishoujo game vn https://vndb.org/v19182

it has elements that people turn their head up to but its a really good story, same with the second one.... which still isnt being tled and instead the fourth one is getting priority.... for some reason...

anyways, i think the story is really unique, especially with how it ends. dont turn away from this gem just because of the trap and the nukige.

Other people might disagree with me, but I'd like to bring up Kana Little Sister, or the updated version, Kana Okaeri. It's generally considered a good VN, but I rarely see anyone mention it, possibly because of the fact that the original version will celebrate its 20th anniversary in two months. Despite its age, I think it deserves more time in the spotlight, since it's one of the visual novels that has had the most impact on me emotionally.

Edited by Seraphim88

Galaxy Angel(the vn)

I've pretty much been a one man band promoter of it since at least 2009(Before that I was a promoter of the anime)

Campus Notes: Forget Me Not
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who has actually read it

Despite the fact that it's really dope has some great dialogue and is set in a fucking college

Magical Eyes -Red is for anguish-

It's a pretty short vn and I thought it was very good and hopefully the sequel comes out at some point cuz I liked the characters

20 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Galaxy Angel(the vn)

I've pretty much been a one man band promoter of it since at least 2009(Before that I was a promoter of the anime)

Campus Notes: Forget Me Not
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who has actually read it

Despite the fact that it's really dope has some great dialogue and is set in a fucking college

Magical Eyes -Red is for anguish-

It's a pretty short vn and I thought it was very good and hopefully the sequel comes out at some point cuz I liked the characters

Seriously need to get around to reading galaxy angel.

I agree with ONE recommendation, however synopsis and tags of MOON had put me off - it seems very dark, much different from most KEY works. (Apparently, it has some connections/similarities with Rewrite, however I haven't read Rewrite, so cannot comment on that).

3 hours ago, adamstan said:

I agree with ONE recommendation, however synopsis and tags of MOON had put me off - it seems very dark, much different from most KEY works. (Apparently, it has some connections/similarities with Rewrite, however I haven't read Rewrite, so cannot comment on that).

Yeah moon is quite a dark story, and it's rather.... rapey.... but if you can put up with that and accept that as what it is, an important part of the story, then it's genuinely a good read. It's interesting that the guys from Key started with this dark story imo.

1 hour ago, Koioniaku said:

it's rather.... rapey.... but if you can put up with that

I'd rather not - that's what puts me off the most.

I admit, there were some dark and/or rapey scenes in some of the VNs that I've rated highly, but when it becomes almost main theme of the whole VN, that's too much for me.

Edited by adamstan

2 hours ago, adamstan said:

I'd rather not - that's what puts me off the most.

I admit, there were some dark and/or rapey scenes in some of the VNs that I've rated highly, but when it becomes almost main theme of the whole VN, that's too much for me.

Yes, that's completely understandable.

23 hours ago, Koioniaku said:

Yeah moon is quite a dark story, and it's rather.... rapey.... but if you can put up with that and accept that as what it is, an important part of the story, then it's genuinely a good read. It's interesting that the guys from Key started with this dark story imo.

I tried reading Moon. a while ago, but my first impression wasn't very good, so I decided not to read it. Do you think I should give this another try? While I'm not a fan of rapey stuff, I can handle it as long as it fits the tone of the story.

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

I tried reading Moon. a while ago, but my first impression wasn't very good, so I decided not to read it. Do you think I should give this another try? While I'm not a fan of rapey stuff, I can handle it as long as it fits the tone of the story.

I would recommend reading through it once, even just use a walkthrough and play the true route. It's definitely worth at least one playthrough.