FSN : Am I reading too slow?

steins

Hi,

Ive been playing FSN and is enjoying it as my first VN :D.

Although I come home late from school so I only got 4hrs free - 2hrs VN and 2hrs anime everyday xD.

Anyways, so far Ive played for 17 hrs and Ive just finished Day 7 of Fate route. I heard the ave time to finish is 40-50 hrs so considering there are 3 routes and Im still halfway the 1st route for 17 hrs, I thought Im ridiculously slow xD. So, am I really reading slow? Or am I reading at a normal speed?

I think thats bec I tend to listen to the voice acts xD. But I like doing it this way and its okay if Im slow. :D

Anyways, what do you think?

F/SN should be 40-50 hours for someone with a rather good reading speed and used to reading VN. (If that's one of your first VNs you'll probably be slower)

Reading speed varies from twice faster than this to twice slower quite easily depending on people though. 

Fate route is the longest of the three, too.

And it's not like it really matters if you take things slowly.

There's no need to rush. it's doesn't really matter how fast you read.

Yep pretty much. Visual Novels are to be enjoyed, i took over a week to finish Little Busters and i played a considerable amount of time every day. As long as you enjoy it does it really matter how long it takes? 

I wouldn't be concerned with matching estimated reading times for VNs. As it's been said above, it varies by person: reading speed, if you re-read sections or stop to think, if you listen to all the voice acting. You can significantly increase your reading time quite easily. It takes me longer than the estimated length when readings VNs and I'm not even a slow reader, I just try to savor as much of a VN as I can and commit it to memory.

You do eventually get an idea of how long a VN will take you judging by the estimated length.

There's no need to rush. it's doesn't really matter how fast you read.

I could not agree more.

Everyone has their own pace of reading VNs, and mine just happens to be around half the time it takes others to read it (because of eye training from SATs).

This is why I really hate players who use numerical values to label the length of a VN (although I do that on my review site LOLDATHYPOCRISY). 

In addition, I feel like any "good" VNs are generally too short, while the crappy ones are generally too long. I'm sure someone out there agrees with this statement. 

In addition, I feel like any "good" VNs are generally too short, while the crappy ones are generally too long. I'm sure someone out there agrees with this statement. 

Yeah, definitely. MLA should have been 100 hours long. Clannad should have had at least half of its routes cut down. (/statingopinionsasfactswithoutarguments)

Okay guys, Im not really rushing though. Actually, even if you tell me that Im too slow, I'll still read that way becuz thats how I do things and I want to fully understand everything :D. I just wondered if Im too slow compared to everyone xD.

Anyways, thanks everyone. Im enjoying this VN experience (this is my very first VN :D).

Im saving at every decision, choose 1 myself, but before I actually choose/click it, I look up at Tay's walkthrough first to know if I was about to make the right choice or not xD. (thanks Tay for the walkthrough)

Sometimes I check what happens to the other decisions.

So yeah, thanks!

Well, i think that VNs are such delightful treats that its a shame to just gulp them down without

giving yourself a chance to properly taste them. 

I have to admit that years ago when i first played clannad i went with 14 hour marathons every day. It was overly

enjoable but looking back, maybe i should had take my time instead.

Yeah, I actually properly taste these delightful treats, that's why I thought I was slow but Im fine with being slow bec I enjoy it better than rushing. Be it VNs, anime, manga, games, I usually take it slow. In anime, 24min becomes 30-32 w/ me bec I pause a lot and do rewinds. In manga, I tend to look to much in the artworks. Now in VN, I read it thoroughly and I check the backlog frequently to fully understand everything, I also listen to a lot of voice acts especially the expressions like WHAA-, fufufu, Kyaa~ lol :D.

So ya Im not rushing, thats the opposite of what Im doing. Just wanted to know if Im a slow reader.

Some people like reading stuff fast, it's in their nature i guess you could say. It might look weird to someone who likes to read it slower and take their time but for some it just makes more sense to read it faster. I believe it has something to do with how memory works on different people. Some remember stuff better visually and try to create images in their head for future reference. and some with doing it by remembering certain phrases,quotes and lines.

This is not fact it's just my estimated guess, proberly a hole lot more to it then that.

Anyways, thanks everyone. Im enjoying this VN experience (this is my very first VN :D).

Im saving at every decision, choose 1 myself, but before I actually choose/click it, I look up at Tay's walkthrough first to know if I was about to make the right choice or not xD. (thanks Tay for the walkthrough)

Sometimes I check what happens to the other decisions.

You're so welcome! I loved FSN so much... I'm glad I was able to contribute.

All the advise here has been good. As for me, I'd say there's only one major way to judge reading speed, and that's by asking the question, "Am I enjoying this?"

So long as you're having fun and not stressing about the meta-processes of reading a VN, I think you're doing it just right.

So.... What do you think?!? How far in are you?

I re-read your post, not only do you advance text in a slow pace, you mentioned listen to the voice acting as well.

I don't know if it counts as slow reading though >.<

If i find myself reading too fast, I end up re-reading everything and realize I missed important information and details.

It's bad because you end up wasting more precious time.

So what you're doing is right, enjoy reading at a comfortable pace. Immerse yourself  with your waifu and try not to think about the hours you spent reading, unless of course you want to make a in-depth review of the product.

The route's in fate generally start to pick up towards the end.

I don't advise using a walkthrough though, since except the 3rd route it's near impossible to get a sudden game over from previous choices (seriously, they even joke about it). It's actually best to fail on purpose since a lot of the bad ends have interesting foreshadowing or just plain fun.

Okay I see there's no real length if we are to measure it by time.

The route's in fate generally start to pick up towards the end.

I don't advise using a walkthrough though, since except the 3rd route it's near impossible to get a sudden game over from previous choices (seriously, they even joke about it). It's actually best to fail on purpose since a lot of the bad ends have interesting foreshadowing or just plain fun.

I will make sure to go through all the other choices and bad ends after finishing the game anyway so Im fine w/ a walkthrough.

Also, DAY 11 is so damn great!!! xD