Happy Easter Everyone! Also, spiders!

Happy Easter my dear Fuwans! How are your holidays so far? Mine are quite nice, although the intensity of social interactions is getting to me by this point. I had way too few moments to cool off lately...

So, let's talk about something fun! Lately, the temperature in Warsaw was jumping a lot, so I've seen spiders waking up and then hiding from the cold, making unusual incursions into my bedroom. To be specific, I'm talking about domestic house spiders, which are completely harmless, but can grow large and look scary AF. I'm actually quite fascinated by them and like to tease my mother about being scared when she finds one in the cellar, but having those walking in my sleeping space is just a bit too creepy and I sadly had to exterminate two of them over two days (they're also quite fast and hard to catch, so removing them without violence would be tricky). Here's a visual proof - the spider's body (without legs) is around 11 mm long, which is quite a lot for this species and translates into a full length of circa 25 mm (over an inch). Quite an interesting sight when you turn lights on and find one on your curtains. 

common_house_spider_by_szafalesiaka_dd555ay-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NTc0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvYThiODgzNTUtYzhjNy00YjE2LThhN2EtNGFhOWZjMWIwNGZmXC9kZDU1NWF5LWEwYTRmZjRiLWIyY2EtNGJkOS05NTdmLTkxNGQ4ZTcxZDFlMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.9SfxGSzsdt6X6r5ZsWx6d-T16oinGGUHEwM0lcB2eyQ

But, this is not the biggest variant of the house spider. There's also the giant house spider, which can grow to be thrice the size of the common ones, mostly because it has a lot longer legs, but still, that's a freakin' large spider, especially here in Eastern Europe, where people are not used to those. It's also completely harmless of course.

I've heard stories about people discovering those in their homes and being spooked senseless, but I've never seen one myself. So, colour me surprised when during a walk in the park with my family today (we were celebrating Easter, I guess?), my gf spotted this beautiful thing on a random wall: 

greater_house_spider_by_szafalesiaka_dd555cm-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9OTUzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvYThiODgzNTUtYzhjNy00YjE2LThhN2EtNGFhOWZjMWIwNGZmXC9kZDU1NWNtLWFiYThhOWI2LTc2NjYtNDY5MC1hM2E5LTM2NjM3MjNjYjM2Ny5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.zIwnLahRTW-BsRp2w0-YyYpktPP-rdclVaKYiiLuOJw

It was around 6 cm long. Not among the biggest ones, but still quite magnificent. I felt that I got something out of those family celebrations after all. ^^

So, what are your guys' perspective on huge freakin' spiders in living spaces and beyond? :sachi:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

These two topics look like they belong together. Just like our local social democrats and the easter eggs they gave away as presents in their European Parliament election campaign. There probably is some hidden ironic layer in there that went over my head, but spiders are way more interesting, so let's keep talking about those. My arachnophobic girlfriend once found one like the one in the lower picture in a drawer in our apartment. That was a fun experience for her. At least we could get rid of the spider by just carrying the drawer outside. Spiders are good for eating flies and moscitos, but the way they look and move is creepy. So on a scale from 1 to 10 I give them a 4.5.

Had a giant huntsman spider sit right outside the door to my apartment in Japan one day. I... did not sleep well that night. Sure, the bugger was outside, but I was terrified of opening my door, scared he’d come inside (The thing was as big as my hand... ugh, I hate spiders...) 

Uh, right, happy easter. (Fuck spiders)