VN with strong romance plus fantasy/SF story

Spectrum

Hi, all! I am looking for VNs that feature both a strong, emotional romance plot AND a compelling supernatural or science-fiction story that is about other things than the love story.

• 18+ is preferred but not mandatory. Romantic build-up and tenderness is much more important than explicit sex acts.
  • A happy ending is absolutely essential (but it is fine if there are also bad endings).
  • I especially love a heroine who is badass in action situations yet submissive in romantic/sexual situations. Not mandatory, though.
  • English is preferred. I can only barely read manga in Japanese; any untranslated VNs will have to wait some years at least.

I have not played a lot of VNs, so I cannot give really good examples, but the ones I have played that come close-ish are:

• Highway Blossoms has a wonderful love story and a moderately interesting plot about finding buried treasure. No speculative fiction elements, though.
  • Everlasting Summer has a quite interesting supernatural mystery plot. The romance is not very strong, though.

VNs which I have heard about and which might fit include the following, although I have not played any of them:

• Fate/stay Night (interested because it is famous; skeptical because other Type-Moon works disappointed me).
  • 11eyes (the anime adaptation is flawed but did make me interested).
  • Steins;Gate (don't know much about it, but I have heard it is good).
  • Dies Irae: Amantes amentes.

Examples from other media include:

• Chivalry of a Failed Knight (Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry).
  • Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (Tasogare Otome x Amnesia)
  • Darling in the Franxx.

Can you recommend me anything? Thanks a lot! :D

Edited by Spectrum
Improved layout; added example

If you liked Highway Blossoms, Heart of the Woods should satisfy you even more - it has similarly strong romance and a pretty great supernatural mystery plot.

SoulSet is a full-on fantasy game and the romance is less crucial in it, but it's still there in decent amounts and its approach to mystery is quite interesting and unique.

Evolimit

Komorebi no Nostalgica

Fake Azure Arcology

Re:Birth Colony

Bullet Butlers

Ayakashibito

Kikan Bakumatsu Ibun Last Cavalier (just avoid the Shinsengumi endings)

Akeiro Kaikitan (Avoid Youko's ending)

Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori

Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide

Yomegami

World Election

Sakura, Sakimashita (despite the themes, i consider the endings to be happy, though worthy of tears at the same time)

Lunaris Filia

Toppara Zashiki Warashi no Hanashi

Toki o Tsumugu Yakusoku

Since there's Himawari recommendation, I'll follow up by recommending Island (From the same writer). Other than Island, I guess you can try Hakuai (Beware of the bad endings), Fata Morgana (It might be too depressing though), and Dracu Riot. I hope my rcommendations here would be helpful to you.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! :)

I have heard about Heart of the Woods. I should try that soonish.
Himawari is this one?
I have a friend who recommends me Dracu Riot. I will look closer at it.
I will also look at some more of them.

I have played Nurse Love Addiction (Hakuai). It is a solid game. (For me Itsuki is best girl by far.)

I am not afraid of bad endings. Bad endings can be very cool. I just need the game to ALSO have good endings. :)

Thanks!

Since you seem not to have read it I think this sage would fit quite well what you are looking for:

Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative

It is (at least the Steam version, not sure if there is a patch) not 18+ but everything else is pretty much what you want. The romance - even though not the main theme later on - is pretty well done and I have never grown as attached to the heroines as in these games. Just read through Muv-Luv Extra (the first part). There is not so much of a plot going on there, but I still think it's important to read it to really get involved in the whole story and it's still sweet.

11 hours ago, Spectrum said:

Himawari is this one?

Yes, that one. I can second that. It will probably fit your requirements as well

On 20.4.2019 at 3:12 PM, Spectrum said:

Dies Irae: Amantes amentes.

I would not say this VN has strong romance. If romance is an important part for you you will probably be disappointed. But - no doubt about that - the story is good and the villains beautifully evil!

additionally I might add:
G-enjou no Maou: has an intriguing plot and when the MC finally gets over his 'sucker phase' the romance is quite nice.