[Video Series] JP VN Guided Reading

Chronopolis

Hi fellas, Chronopolis here. I want to rollout to you guys this new videos series I'm testing: The VN Guided Tour Project.

The idea is that I'll do a read-through of VN prologues, reading aloud the unvoiced text, and explaining the vocab and grammar.

Reading VN's is very difficult when you first start out. One of the challenges, is that there are a lot of expressions and grammar patterns (out-of-my-ass number, like 33%-40%) which aren't covered by JLPT, but which show up commonly in novels. You can find a lot of grammar guides on the web, so I want to offer something which is dead focused on reading Visual Novels.

This series is for people who have down some reading in Japanese, but who still maybe struggle on tackling different titles. If you've haven't or have just started reading VN's in Japanese, it might be difficult to follow, but you could try anyways. I explain almost all of it. So far, I've recorded two videos.

Thoughts on this format, anyone? I'd especially like to hear your feedback if you are someone who might use this series.

Edit: Started adding some grammar notes for the lessons.
Edit 2: Link to the full folder. I'm going to add some longer guides for JP grammars that need full explanations. Not going to cover everything, just a few select topics. So far there is just one super-guide on conditionals.

Edited by Chronopolis

I'm not the target audience since I'm moving in a too crazy tempo with reading atm to dissect separate sentences, but I really cherish for this undertaking. I already see increased interest towards untranslated visual novels thanks to videos like this one.

Edited by kivandopulus

14 hours ago, kivandopulus said:

I'm not the target audience since I'm moving in a too crazy tempo with reading atm to dissect separate sentences, but I really cherish for this undertaking. I already see increased interest towards untranslated visual novels thanks to videos like this one.

Ah, right, you must be running through VN's pretty quickly to be able to review so many. Thanks for the kind words.

It's a different kind of reading, called intensive reading (where you study text closely and dissect it). The majority of one's reading can and should be extensive reading, which is just reading tons and not worrying about understanding everything.