Best and worst anime based off of a video game?

I agree with MetalUpa Steins;Gate was by far the best Adaptation of a VN i've seen.

Honestly i saw the anime before reading hte novel, i didn't even know it was an adaptation from a VN until later on and i loved the anime itself, it gave me a new favorite character (Mayuri) and the overall setting and plot never let me bored. Some might disagree but i think it was great.

Though there's others that i really enjoyed like Amagami SS and Little Busters.

The worst.. for me it would have to be 11eyes.

That anime adaptation started off promising and ended up a huge mess that made no sense.

I haven't read the novel i'm sure it's better but the anime, just no.

Yeah, I can tell you like Mayuri from your signature. She has so many memorable lines in the VN. XD

I also found the English dub of Steins;Gate to be on the best in recent memory. The actors, some of them quite new to the industry, did a fantastic job of delivering the translated lines. The translation is great too, being an accurate represenation of the original Japanese dialouge, while also sounding smooth and natural. Even if you don't consider acting, ALL translations should have this type of script. Adhering too closely can sound stiff and awkward, while having a more liberal translation can ruin the original meaning. There has to be a happy medium.

Yeah, I can tell you like Mayuri from your signature. She has so many memorable lines in the VN. XD

I also found the English dub of Steins;Gate to be on the best in recent memory. The actors, some of them quite new to the industry, did a fantastic job of delivering the translated lines. The translation is great too, being an accurate represenation of the original Japanese dialouge, while also sounding smooth and natural. Even if you don't consider acting, ALL translations should have this type of script. Adhering too closely can sound stiff and awkward, while having a more liberal translation can ruin the original meaning. There has to be a happy medium.

If you click the signature it has a special surprise too!

Honestly i've pretty much forgot about dubs, i watched dubs as a kid but now i just watch the original japanese with fansubs, it's just become a habit and i don't know if i can enjoy watching dubs as much again, but it's great to know that an amazing anime like Steins;Gate is getting a dub, i'm sure this'll raise its popularity in western countries and help spread the novel that's also being released in english.

If you click the signature it has a special surprise too!

Honestly i've pretty much forgot about dubs, i watched dubs as a kid but now i just watch the original japanese with fansubs, it's just become a habit and i don't know if i can enjoy watching dubs as much again, but it's great to know that an amazing anime like Steins;Gate is getting a dub, i'm sure this'll raise its popularity in western countries and help spread the novel that's also being released in english.

Aw, that's adorable and annoying at the same time! Have you seen this dubstep version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm4F8hv7aDg

Steins;Gate has been dubbed in English and released in the U.S. for almost a year. It recently came out in the U.K. as well. Funimation heavily advertised this series and it got really good reviews. I'm not sure how it translated in terms of sales, but it probably did well. People who have never heard of the Science Adventure series before, now are aware of it because of Steins;Gate. The anime was the best thing to happen to the series, no doubt.

Aw, that's adorable and annoying at the same time! Have you seen this dubstep version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm4F8hv7aDg

Steins;Gate has been dubbed in English and released in the U.S. for almost a year. It recently came out in the U.K. as well. Funimation heavily advertised this series and it got really good reviews. I'm not sure how it translated in terms of sales, but it probably did well. People who have never heard of the Science Adventure series before, now are aware of it because of Steins;Gate. The anime was the best thing to happen to the series, no doubt.

I also can only listen for like 4-5 minutes lol.

Oh my god, Tuturu and wubs, i'm so downloading this. Gold. Pure gold.

Oh i'm sorry i thought you meant it was getting a dub, i don't really pay attention to dubs so that's why. They should re-run it before the full english release of the novel is out to advertise it, i'm sure they'd increase sales like that. Overall i think we can agree Steins;Gate is a masterpiece for science fiction. Never saw an anime that dealt with a sci-fi theme as seriously as that one did.

Wait a minute solid, so you're saying that;

Clannad is the best adaption I've seen so far. It managed to make the VN come to life in a way that I wasn't expecting. Very well done.

but..

Steins;Gate is the worst. I dropped it about 11 or 12 episodes in because it doesn't offer anything different from the VN. There is absolutely no reason to watch if you've read the VN already. 

So you like Clannad because it managed to deliver the whole VN story, but you hate Steins;Gate because it managed to deliver the whole VN story? i can't compute that  :P

but..

So you like Clannad because it managed to deliver the whole VN story, but you hate Steins;Gate because it managed to deliver the whole VN story? i can't compute that  :P

I think that while Clannad had the entire content from the VN included in the anime (like every route and other elements) but adapted so that it would all fit into a linear story,  Steins;Gate didn't, it had only part of what the entire VN really is. Though i love Steins;Gate i can see that it is an incomplete version when compared to its novel.

but..

I think that while Clannad had the entire content from the VN included in the anime (like every route and other elements) but adapted so that it would all fit into a linear story,  Steins;Gate didn't, it had only part of what the entire VN really is. Though i love Steins;Gate i can see that it is an incomplete version when compared to its novel.

Clannad took the source material, and incorporated almost all of it while staying true to the true ending of the VN, while also building on a lot of it in my opinion. Steins;Gate seems like a much stripped down version of the VN with literally nothing new added. The anime suffers from the same, poor pacing that the VN has too. The entire first half is just slow, boring, build up. In the VN it works because there is a ton of background info getting tossed at you. In the anime, not so much, instead just glossing over important story bits.  

The best:

- Kanon (I can't tell Steins;Gate because I don't played yet).

- I like "Kao no nai Tsuki" too (on Hentai, the most of adaptations are VERY BAD, but this was very decent for a Hentai OVA, except the last OVA)

The worst:

I would have said "Tsukihime" but if you don't play the VN, the anme is 6/10. The title is for 11 Eyes (this anime started very good and later was bad, very bad and worst). Is a shame, I liked the story.

Yeah, the VN was good. Sadly, I just found the anime to be very very boring. It didn't benefit at all from the adaption. 

Mmm, i kind of agree. While i could spend hours playing the VN non stop, its hard to keep watching an

entire 26 mins episode... i dont understand why... im sure that there is something lacking but i cant put my finger on it. 

Then again Danganronpa came along quite nicely. The way in which they keep all the game elements made it 

quite compelling IMHO. 

Persona 4 was quite decent as well. I never finished the game before buying the P4G Vita version, so i refused to

watch the anime until i beat it. 

Most VNs turned games came out in the range from ok, to great. Exceptions aside like Tsukihime that just sucks. Or the

Clannad movie that was barely a meh. 

none of the VN i've finished has an anime, but i've have played a few routes in clannad and kanon, i think one of those is the best i've watched.

and for the worst i can think of little busters! as an adaptation i don't know if it's good as an anime, i can also think of pokemon. and i think there's some more titles

Kanon (the kyoani version)was probably the best, simply because it captured the spirit of the VN so well. 

Worst (of the ones I've seen), would probably go to Fate/stay night. I just thought that it blended the routes too much and simply ignored all the minor subtlety that was present in the VN in favor of simply ignoring the meanings or being too obvious. 

It would be amazing if we ever saw an anime based off the Zero Escape or Ace Attorney games.

There was a short introductory OVA for VLR, and it seemed to have potential. It would certainly be cool if it ever became a full-fledged anime.

Anyways, I haven't seen enough video game --> anime adapations to list a favorite, but the Umineko adapation was pretty bad.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best: GUNGRAVE: a mediocre game is taken and turned into what is in my eyes a noir version of Berserk. While the first half is superior to the second the show is definitely a winner in my eyes

Steins;Gate gets an honorable mention but everything that needs to be said about it has already been said. Easily the best VN adaptation I've seen, though I was disappointed about 

the removal of Nae's future self coming back in time

Worst: Fate Stay Night: Not only did Studio Deen of all studios choose to animate this, but they picked by far the worst route in the game.

haven't seen too many adaptations so I can't give as proper judgement as the rest of you

I have a clear candidate for worst adoption, that is one ~ kagayaku kisetsu he.

It's a fiasco, it tries to be key-like with skipping the stories and just doing the endings confusing everyone except those who have read the VN. And you don't really get anything from it, even though you've read the VN. I hope the reason it hasn't been brought up is because it's unseen.

da capo first and second season, they absolutely sucked they tried to hard to combine the diffrent routes together and the animation was horribly done , lets not forget they went  with badly drawn characters and did nothing to show their individual character development due to the previously mentioned route stuffing. if they went with more of a amagami/ Yosuga no Sora approach where its told anthology style then it would have been much better. as for best id have to say its a three way tie between the amagami or Yosuga no Sora or shuffle . shuffle did a great job of making the characters and their development meaningful.