Best and worst anime based off of a video game?

Title says it all. What are your picks for best anime based off video games, visual novel or otherwise.

Personally for me, I'm going with Steins;Gate. It's one of the few adaptions to strongly adhere to the original VN story, but also be it's own series. The acting's great, the animation is great, the music and cast are great; everything just works.

Now if you want the worst anime based of a video game, it's either Ninja Gaiden or Megami Tensei; two really obscure, really crappy OVAs. The animation is poor, the sound us incrediblly dated, and they look like they were hasitly animated in two weeks. Good thing these types of OVAs have faded into obscurity. They came out during Japan's bubble economy where practically anyone could sell anything, so it's no wonder they suck. 

the best is probably Clannad. I'd say Chaos Head is the worst.

I've got to play Clannad as well as Air and Kanon. Oh well, eventually! Weren't there multiple adaptions of each game?

Chaos;Head is nowhere near horrible. I've even written a lengthy review of it. I gave it 3/5.

http://www.themanime.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7809

Well, there are many anime shows based on VNs that I enjoyed, the Key suite (Clannad, Kanon, Air, LB!), Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Higurashi, ef and Steins;Gate are what comes to mind from the top of my head.  Finding anime based on an actual video game that's good might prove a bit more difficult, but Tower of Druaga comes to mind, based on an old arcade game, and the "Tales of Gekijou" shorts based on the Tales series were rather amusing.  The few other shows based on "Tales" games looked interesting as well, but I haven't watched more than one or two episodes of each.  The Eiyuu Densetsu : Sora no Kiseki SC OVAs were interesting, but pointless if you haven't at least played the first game.

Clannads the best for me, although I don't remember many animes based on video games.

Worst for me is probably demonbane.

I absolutely agree that the demonbane anime was HORRIBLE when compared to the game.  Absolutely horrible.

But for the best in my opinion, it's definitely Clannad.  Only reason is that I can't remember most of the anime I've seen and Clannad is one of the few that I actually TRY to remember.

well i am gonna say shuffle it's like perfecty going inbetween all the routes in a good way and generally covers the whole VN

and worst am i gonna say clannad it did not fit my tastes att all i went in to the anime thinking i was gonna cry so i made myself watch it and well it turned out to be one off the worst animes i have seen (i am huge Romance,drama fan but i can't handle comedy inbetween)

in my opinion clannad is so overrated yeah i know it s good but the main girl is annoying unlike angel beats

but for me the best adaptation is steins gate is soo freakin good but the worst for me is the fate stay/night

studio deen adapatation they made shirou look so stupid i can't even rage and they added some ubw into fate which is sooo wrong 

Candidate for worst anime based off a VN: Shingetsukan Tsukihime.

I don't even know where to start.

That anime doesn't exist, that's why I didn't list it~

What you saw was just a fanmade crappy thing. Forget it. NOW!!!

Jokes aside, I agree completely.

i think all of them is very bad when visual novel turns into anime, there's must be something missing.

the best i say its clannad .

and the worst.. well Shin Megami Tensei. really horrible , i dont even wanna watch a anime based on game due how horrible the story and sometimes the story itself its confusing to understand .

but what can i say, curiousity can kills.

I would say that for any anime that is based off of a VN, the anime nowhere near does the VN justice. That just how anime works. There is a limited amount of airtime and so much story to put in that it is impossible to do the original justice. I watched the Clannad anime before playing the VN, and I have to say that I enjoyed the anime at first. Even though they were unable to get in all the information into the anime, I still enjoyed the anime greatly. And best of all, there wasn't a whole lot that was ruined for me when I went back and decided to play the VN.

in my opinion clannad is so overrated yeah i know it s good but the main girl is annoying unlike angel beats

I'm going to fight you now. I hated Angel Beats. I hated Yui. I hated a lot of her gang. I despise that show. 

Clannad is the best adaption I've seen so far. It managed to make the VN come to life in a way that I wasn't expecting. Very well done.

Steins;Gate is the worst. I dropped it about 11 or 12 episodes in because it doesn't offer anything different from the VN. There is absolutely no reason to watch if you've read the VN already. 

True, there are worse shows out there, but I just couldn't stand all the stupid high school melodrama.

Actually, here's one that's really bad: Shining Tears x Wind.

rofl now that you reminded me of that horror I can't tell which is worse Shining tears x wind or demonbane...

i think all of them is very bad when visual novel turns into anime, there's must be something missing.

the best i say its clannad .

and the worst.. well Shin Megami Tensei. really horrible , i dont even wanna watch a anime based on game due how horrible the story and sometimes the story itself its confusing to understand .

but what can i say, curiousity can kills.

Steins;Gate is the worst. I dropped it about 11 or 12 episodes in because it doesn't offer anything different from the VN. There is absolutely no reason to watch if you've read the VN already. 

By Shin Megami Tensei, you're talking about the crappy 80s OVA that I also hated, right?

What exactly are you talking about? Steins;Gate is amazing! And the fact that it can adapt the VN almost 100% isn't a bad thing.

Damn, everyone keeps recommending Clannad. Unfortuantely, I haven't played any of Key's VNs since I don't really have the time. I'll get to them eventually, though. There's two adaptions of Clannad, but which one is the better version?

By Shin Megami Tensei, you're talking about the crappy 80s OVA that I also hated, right?

What exactly are you talking about? Steins;Gate is amazing! And the fact that it can adapt the VN almost 100% isn't a bad thing.

Damn, everyone keeps recommending Clannad. Unfortuantely, I haven't played any of Key's VNs since I don't really have the time. I'll get to them eventually, though. There's two adaptions of Clannad, but which one is the better version?

Not the movie version, thats for sure. The one by KyoAni is a great adaptation and adds nicely. As for Steins;Gate, it honestly bored me to watch. Even when the plot starting switching. It just plain out bored me.

Valkyria Chronicles anime sucked donkey balls, pardon my French. That's the first one that came to mind.

I actually enjoyed the adaptation. It wasn't great, but it was pretty well done. The minor plot changes annoyed me a tad, but they kept the same aesthetics from the game. 

Not the movie version, thats for sure. The one by KyoAni is a great adaptation and adds nicely. As for Steins;Gate, it honestly bored me to watch. Even when the plot starting switching. It just plain out bored me.

I found Steins;Gate to be compelling, riviting, and having some of the best written characters ever. Have you even read the original visual novel?

I'm going to fight you now. I hated Angel Beats. I hated Yui. I hated a lot of her gang. I despise that show. 

I found Steins;Gate to be compelling, riviting, and having some of the best written characters ever. Have you even read the original visual novel?

Yeah, the VN was good. Sadly, I just found the anime to be very very boring. It didn't benefit at all from the adaption. 

Yup, you just know dont you? lol.

there is a two version? i dont know about that . well its my first visual novel so that's way i recommend it ,

Yup, you just know dont you? lol.

there is a two version? i dont know about that . well its my first visual novel so that's way i recommend it ,

The thing is, I'm not actually a hardcore Megami Tensei fan, but I've actually read the first novel; something that most haven't even done. The OVA is actually fairly close to the original source material, but it's REALLY OLD and its age shows. This isn't like Lupin III or Astro Boy where it's a nice kind of nostaliga. Anyways, I'm curious to see what the story was for the original Famicom game. I'm currently in the middle of Shin Megami Tensei for Super Famicom.

I agree with MetalUpa Steins;Gate was by far the best Adaptation of a VN i've seen.

Honestly i saw the anime before reading hte novel, i didn't even know it was an adaptation from a VN until later on and i loved the anime itself, it gave me a new favorite character (Mayuri) and the overall setting and plot never let me bored. Some might disagree but i think it was great.

Though there's others that i really enjoyed like Amagami SS and Little Busters.

The worst.. for me it would have to be 11eyes.

That anime adaptation started off promising and ended up a huge mess that made no sense.

I haven't read the novel i'm sure it's better but the anime, just no.