Sol Press now selling visual novels directly on the Discord store, starting with Under One Wing and Newton.

NowItsAngeTime

Sekai Project is selling games on Discord now too:

https://discordapp.com/store/skus/555830991168733204/heart-of-the-woods

https://discordapp.com/store/skus/555812072969994260/a-magical-high-school-girl

But I have to wonder, how many people actually buy games on Discord? I own exactly one game on there (King of the Hat), and that's only because of a free promotion. The fact that Discord seems to be trying to kill its own store (unless you already have a direct link to the game, you can only find games by going to the Server Discovery section and finding a relevant verified server...but Sol Press' server isn't verified, so I don't know how that works for them?) doesn't help.

Normally I'd say that any exposure helps, but I'd be surprised if they got any sales at all from Discord, tbh.

I guess the idea would be to try and sell non-adult VNs directly to Discord users.  However, I can't imagine there are many Discord users looking for such titles that don't also have a Steam account or an account with the relevant publisher.  Discord as a store is still a new concept, and it's not clear if the store itself will see much adoption--much less that people will use it to browse for and buy VNs.

One of the few advantage I heard compare to other platform is the developers having 90% of the revenue but it is not big as Steam. Almost the same as Epic Games Store 88%. If the VNs include adult content, then they release the 18+patch on other site for the all-age version. There might be issue with mandatory launcher. Anyway, it's worth having more competitors.

Localization companies should participate in the 2020 most storefront Olympics.

Edited by ztrepzilius

Well I guess it's good to know that Discord also have their own store (I just know that it's already been there since last August), although I mostly use Discord just to chat anyway. As for the Sol Press decision, it might be good if they have more than one storefront especially with Sekai being fickle here, so hopefully there'll be no disruption when Sol Press use Discord as their store (I don't know though if Discord store will be there for a longer time or not).

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 months later...