Black screen during credits

Seraphim

This has happened to me in several VNs before, and it's really starting to annoy me. Whenever the credits start rolling in certain VNs, the screen goes entirely black, but the audio keeps playing.
I just finished Ef: The First Tale, and I could hear the characters speaking at the end, but I couldn't see anything and have no idea what they were saying since I don't understand Japanese well enough yet.

I have tried playing in compatibility mode, turning off full screen optimization, updating my graphics driver, downloading the latest Flash and Java software, as well as installing the K-Lite Codec Pack, but none of it has helped whatsoever.

What can I do to solve this?

I've found that the video works if I start Windows in Safe Mode, but there's no sound available in Safe Mode, so I still can't hear anything. I was able to read the subtitles, so at least I know what they're talking about now.
I would still like to solve this whole problem, so I won't have to watch silent videos in Safe Mode whenever this happens in the future.

Some things I've tried since my last post:

- changing game settings in Nvidia Control Panel
- turning off all non-Microsoft services in msconfig
- using Active Directory repair in msconfig
- unplugging secondary monitor and USB peripherals
- cleaning registry

• 3 years later...
On 4/12/2019 at 8:34 AM, Seraphim said:

I've found that the video works if I start Windows in Safe Mode, but there's no sound available in Safe Mode, so I still can't hear anything. I was able to read the subtitles, so at least I know what they're talking about now.
I would still like to solve this whole problem, so I won't have to watch silent videos in Safe Mode whenever this happens in the future.

Some things I've tried since my last post:

- changing game settings in Nvidia Control Panel
- turning off all non-Microsoft services in msconfig
- using Active Directory repair in msconfig
- unplugging secondary monitor and USB peripherals
- cleaning registry

Sorry for the super old thread bump, but have you ever found out what it was that was causing this? I'm in the exact same boat as you describe here to a tee, to the point this thread comes up when I try googling solutions. The weird thing is I'm almost positive I didn't use to have this problem either on this same computer months ago. Kind of desperate at this point, I just want to play Baldr Sky lol.

41 minutes ago, Ninjafoo said:

Sorry for the super old thread bump, but have you ever found out what it was that was causing this? I'm in the exact same boat as you describe here to a tee, to the point this thread comes up when I try googling solutions. The weird thing is I'm almost positive I didn't use to have this problem either on this same computer months ago. Kind of desperate at this point, I just want to play Baldr Sky lol.

I actually haven't experienced this issue in a long while now, so it seems to somehow have solved itself one way or another. Unfortunately, that also means that I to this day don't have any idea what actually caused it. Maybe it was just some bug related to Windows that was eventually fixed in an update. If that's the case, you'll probably be fine as well in the near future (since you also seem to recall not having this issue before), but I can understand your current frustration considering how much time I wasted trying to remedy my own situation at the time of writing the original post.

5 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I actually haven't experienced this issue in a long while now, so it seems to somehow have solved itself one way or another. Unfortunately, that also means that I to this day don't have any idea what actually caused it. Maybe it was just some bug related to Windows that was eventually fixed in an update. If that's the case, you'll probably be fine as well in the near future (since you also seem to recall not having this issue before), but I can understand your current frustration considering how much time I wasted trying to remedy my own situation at the time of writing the original post.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't really expecting one when I took such a shot in the dark asking you here, lol. I came across a random comment online from a year ago with someone saying it resolved itself with another windows update, so I guess that may be the case for me as well, as you suggested. Seeing as I've been keeping up to date when I see new notifications and all. Just kind of an annoying situation to be in, but guess I will just have to sit and wait for a new update and take a break from the VNs I had in mind for now.

Edited by Ninjafoo

23 hours ago, Ninjafoo said:

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't really expecting one when I took such a shot in the dark asking you here, lol. I came across a random comment online from a year ago with someone saying it resolved itself with another windows update, so I guess that may be the case for me as well, as you suggested. Seeing as I've been keeping up to date when I see new notifications and all. Just kind of an annoying situation to be in, but guess I will just have to sit and wait for a new update and take a break from the VNs I had in mind for now.

In case you ever have this problem again, I fixed it by rolling back nvidia gpu driver updates several months until I found a version that fixed it.