Going back to VNs?

I think I didn't have such long break during a VN - mostly about a week. I might have had longer breaks, but it was after finishing current VN. But I know what you mean about alternating between different hobbies, as I have similar "problem" :)

Actually currently it's the other way around - I got swept away by anime, VNs and learning Japanese, and so sometimes I start to feel bad about neglecting my other hobbies. Days are definitely too short!

Edited by adamstan

I have some VNs I've stalled ages ago, but I have to find one I actually come back to... No because they didn't grab me, but exactly because they did and I want to play them when I have proper amount of time and attention to spare. Time and attention which I never have, even though I don't really circulate through non-otaku hobbies very much. I'm with Adamstan on this, days are way too short. :C

Yeah, that happens to me all the time. I'd say, I quite often abandon some VNs for extended periods of time when for some reason I just don't feel like reading them anymore. Somehow this doesn't even depend on how much I like these VNs. Quite often I just never get back to them, but sometimes I do. For example, last year I dropped The Labyrinth of Grisaia for almost half a year when I just got kind of bored in the middle of reading all the after stories, but I got back to the VN after that and finished it properly.

Or sometimes I may try reading several different media simultaneously, and then one of them just starts involving me more than the others, and I just end up abandoning everything else. In this case I usually just get back to VNs I abandoned after I finish whatever got me involved. This actually has happened to me just recently, and I pretty much stalled all VNs I was reading for several weeks, but I'm getting back to them today.

This happened to me two times. The first one was with FSN, where I only managed to read a fraction of the Fate route before I dropped it. Then one year later, I reread it, skipping what I've already read and managed to finish it for once.

The next one was Eien no Aselia, which I dropped after getting a silly game over, only for me to try it again later and finish it.

Then there are VNs I dropped without me reattempting to read so far. Most of them were either nukige or VNs I couldn't enjoy, regardless of how many time I invested into them (Daibanchou, G senjou and Kamidori). The only exception so far is Rose Guns Days, due to its episodic nature (I only read the first season so far) and me having to prioritize other things in RL.

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Yeah, that happens to me all the time. I'd say, I quite often abandon some VNs for extended periods of time when for some reason I just don't feel like reading them anymore. Somehow this doesn't even depend on how much I like these VNs. Quite often I just never get back to them, but sometimes I do. For example, last year I dropped The Labyrinth of Grisaia for almost half a year when I just got kind of bored in the middle of reading all the after stories, but I got back to the VN after that and finished it properly.

Or sometimes I may try reading several different media simultaneously, and then one of them just starts involving me more than the others, and I just end up abandoning everything else. In this case I usually just get back to VNs I abandoned after I finish whatever got me involved. This actually has happened to me just recently, and I pretty much stalled all VNs I was reading for several weeks, but I'm getting back to them today.

Yeah like I'm getting back into Little Busters and Subarashiki Hibi. Little Busters is easy to get back into and Subarashiki is one I stopped reading for a bit, not really for a specific reason but it is pretty heavy so I guess I was mentally tired of reading it, I need a break from heavy stuff usually. 

Yeah due to real life and motivation loss, I don't always finish one. Eventually I come back to it, if it keeps my interest. I haven't dropped any yet, because Im sure I'll regret it. At least I'm almost done with reading EF. I had to start it over, since I am reading different ones. Also my genre preference changes. I sometimes want a Nakige or another genre. It depends what genre I'm in the mood for.

Edited by yelsha57

Yes, i find myself dropping VNs pretty often, mostly because of personal problems. I do feel bad for dropping them since i really get into role-playing, thus dropping a VN feels the same as breaking a relationship with a friend.

I think that one of the reasons i drop VNs is because i'm never reading just one, and whenever i find one that is unbelievably good, i stop reading all the other to focus on this one, and when i finish it, i have already forgotten half of the story of the others and i'm too lazy to start from the beggining all over again.
I think the only VN i came back to after dropping was Dorei to no Seikatsu ~ Teaching Feeling ~.

And yeah, i also know how hard it is to have a lot of hobbies, but it's also really fun and satisfying, so whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Things that makes me drop a VN:

Weird/Bad plot
    Over-dramatic plot
    When the MC is so retarded that i want to get into the VN and struggle him/her to death
    When they force way to much "edginess"
    When i realize that the main story is that same generic story but with another names/faces (quick examp: 16 to 18 yo MC, Romance, School, Childhood friend, Reserved bookworm otome girl, Tomboy with short or red hair, Perverted or Edgy best friend.)

yes there is some VNs that has this "generic story" but also has a great plot nonetheless

Edited by Sekan Orochi

It happens to me, too. I usually try to read only one VN at a time. But sometimes I get distracted by other games that are not VNs. This usually happens when I read VNs that don't appeal to me that much. Then I might have longer breaks (perhaps up to 2 weeks). But in the end I still continue and finish them. I am pretty proud that I finished every VN that I started so far (with one exception but that was because it was in Japanese and I wanted to get better at that language before continuing it).

I know that if I started a new exciting VN while reading a pretty boring one then I would probably drop it altogether so I avoid that at all costs.

and yeah! Time's always too short! :unsure: