Spring 2019 Anime Discussion

Mr Poltroon

Well, no discussion thread seems to have popped up yet, so I guess I'll make it.

As always, I'm plenty excited for most things coming out. In particular, I'm excited for Isekai Quartet: Chibi, Comedy, with my favourite series's. Could not be better.

I've also watched the first episode of Fruits Basket. Weird to hear it in Japanese this time. I think I'll wait for the dub, since that's what I originally watched it with.
Fruits Basket is important for me because it's among the first few shows where I actually read the manga after the anime. As it happens, however, the anime deviated heavily from the source material at points, so it'll be interesting to see how this new one does it. It's certainly shinier, if nothing else.

One Punch Man sequel is something I'll watch. For the comedy, as ever.
Other than that... I'll keep an eye on all the romances and comedies and see what I might like.

I was so distracted with RL stuff that I forgot like 5 times to start this thread. My streak has been lost forever.  :rubycry::rubycry::rubycry:

I guess I'm exactly on the opposite side of the spectrum on this season? There are definitely things I'll watch, but I don't see anything I would truly care about so far. One Punch Man II is high on the list, but I got spoiled with how amazing Mob Psycho 100 II was (it became my second 10/10 on MAL) and I doubt it will come anywhere close to it.

There's also Senko-san and Isekai Quartet for comedy. I'll probably try Fruit Basket, but I know nothing about the previous anime, so I'm not in any real way excited.

Kimetsu no Yaiba started decently, but people overhype it to insane levels. The first episode felt quite cheesy to me, but maybe the next ones will be able to dispel this impression.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

I plan to watch Kimetsu no YaibaFruits Basket (2019)Hitoribocchi no Marumaru SeikatsuIsekai Quartet and Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 this season.

As for One Punch Man 2nd Season I will probably just stick to the manga, unless J.C staff manages to convince me they can do a decent job with it that is.

Edit: Have now seen episode 1 of season 2 of OPM, unless I hear that animation really improves I won't continue it.

Edited by bakauchuujin

oh yeah, i forgot fruits basket was coming out. im iffy on that, i liked the style for the original anime as it stayed close to the manga while this one just kind of blends in with other anime in terms of style. attack on titan season 2 part 2 i plan to watch when its done airing. one punch man doesnt look that good, animation wise. ill watch still but im not excited for it.

I'm still focused on STPC here, so I'm not following all of the anime here. But still let me try to give some comments here.

That said, Fruit Basket remake sounds interesting if the new staffs can adapt the final arc of the manga (ie Akito's arc) so I may occasionally check on that later. At least the fans wouldn't be soured now that we didn't have Akitaro Daichi as the staff here, seeing that he's quite infamous thanks to what he did to Hiroko Konishi.

Other than that, it's good to see that YU-NO finally have a proper anime adaptation instead of H OVA in that it's deviate too much from the original source. I still think that they didn't need to recast the older seiyuu though (I knew they use the seiyuu from the PS4 version) seeing that all of them are still there (Especially Shinichiro Miki and Kikoku Inoue (So no 17 years old adoptive mother as the heroine here) still alive), but maybe they need to get around with Yuka Imai retired and the different seiyuu management there (And also in regard of the two main staffs of original YU-NO in that both of them are already passed away).

We also have both of Cinderella Nine and Aikatsu Friends season 2, but may as well just see it for the cute girls lol. Cinderella Nine may be good though seeing that it got GPPC writer as the main writer (Although his track record as KKPC main writer sort of dilute his acheivement on GPPC), and more importantly it might be good if you want to watch some baseball anime.

I think that's all for what I can comment here.

Edited by littleshogun

Fruits basket is already beautiful. I'm really looking forward to the rest of it.

Mix by the maker of Cross Game and Touch I suspect is going to be an absolute masterpiece again like the two before it. Don't exclude it even if you hate sports anime or baseball.

More Titan's going to be fun but hopefully the quality goes up after last half season which was all over the place.

Did not get into OPM, so not interested (I know, unpopular opinion.)

Everything else looks pretty meh to be honest. Will see if any gems pop up.

Not a bad start of the season so far. Fruits Basket is doing wonderfully so far, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest. A good bit of nostalgia here. :)

Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san was surprisingly refreshing. It's nothing groundbreaking or anything, but the atmosphere is lighthearted, fluffy, and sweet. If you're any bit into moe stuff, you can't go wrong with this. That and you won't find very many anime featuring a centuries old nojya loli.

I am interested in Gunjou no Magmel, but there aren't any good subs for this at all. >.<

Edited by Kenshin_sama

For the time being, I'll be watching kitsune loli, kimetsu no yaiba and the fruits basket remake. 

Senko-san gives me kobayashi's dragon maid vibes. A cute and fluffy slice of life is always welcome if it has a proper execution :sachi: I liked the first ep. 

Kimetsu no yaiba is nothing we haven't seen before either, but it was well directed so even knowing how everything is gonna develop, I still feel invested. Also the animation and ost are pretty good. 

As for fruits basket... I've never read the manga and I think I've seen like 2 episodes of the old anime, but that was so long ago that by now I only remember that it had something to do with some dudes that transformed into animals from the chinese zodiac. It has a very classic shoujo atmosphere to it (duh, it's an old shoujo), and I can smell some sweet drama in the air that I believe I could enjoy. Also the MC follows the clumsy girl stereotype from classic shoujo but they still managed to make her interesting and likable, so yeah, I'm excited. 

• 1 month later...

I've caught up with pretty much all the shows I wanted to watch this season (I have I'll still have to try Carole & Tuesday at some point, and start watching is as it comes out next season - it's a 24 episode one and the reviews are really encouraging). It's not a bad one for sure, even while skipping on One Punch Man and Attack on Titan and those are probably the highlights for most people.

Kimetsu no Yaiba is pretty cool, even if a bit overstylized and overly-dramatic. I huge positive is that escapes typical tropes when it goes to story progression and the kind of challenges the protagonist faces. You never really know what will come next and that's seriously refreshing.

Fruits Basket is pretty charming, but I guess I still don't really understand what it's going for? I have no prior experience with this series and while I enjoy the ride so far, I don't feel like these stories it told so far are building up for anything. Maybe that's not the point, but it doesn't feel like your episodic SoL anime that on purpose include no plot progression either. Maybe I'll get it further down the line.

Isekai Quartet is cool and pretty funny, also because I really like all of these series... Outside of RE:Zero, that is. Maybe it's my prejudice speaking, but outside of Rem, I find close to no appeal in the whole cast of that series. I respect it for the unusual story and some great ideas, but still, these characters suck and when thrown into a comedy, they have very little to work with. I'll even put the imperial soldiers from Youjo Senki over them. Also, the KonoSuba cast obviously shines, as it was built exactly for this kind of stuff and the Overlord crew only trail a little bit behind. 

Hitoribocchi is good, although its pacing is somewhat uneven. It also uses a lot of humour that translates rather poorly from Japanese and even recurring gags kind of fall flat in the translation (not the translator's fault really, as it'd be hard to do anything in those specific cases, but they weren't able to find satisfying workarounds). It also depends whether you like seeing the characters making fools of themselves over and over again - it's definitely quite cringy at times, even though I like the main character a lot (and her social anxiety often feels very familiar). 

Senko-san is just pure relaxation and only gets better over time. The first few episodes might feel samey and kind of empty (not unenjoyable though, if you like lighthearted SoL comedy), but as the second foxgirl shows up and the show starts exploring the meaning behind her and Senko's appearance, it's starting to get really fun and heartwarming. 

Oh, and Rising of the Shield Hero is still quite awesome. The latest character development for the protagonist was great and I hope they don't revert into him being just stubborn and frustrated,

Spoiler

after he learned how much his anger can cost those he care about, and saw that he has real friends and allies in this new world. It's great to see an isekai protagonist who both have significant power and have to struggle and grow every step of the road, but I hope the "hero civil war" chapter is more or less over and the time to seriously fight the demon waves comes.

In the end, this season is kind of slow and unassuming, but I can't say I don't enjoy it. There's probably nothing I would consider a real "hidden gem" here, but that's ok. I think the next season will still be way worse. :wahaha:

On 4/9/2019 at 10:19 AM, ittaku said:

Mix by the maker of Cross Game and Touch I suspect is going to be an absolute masterpiece again like the two before it. Don't exclude it even if you hate sports anime or baseball.

I like how the synopsis spoils Touch lol. I'll probably watch it eventually, although I'm worried I might miss out on some references and such.

• 1 month later...

This season is kind of one giant disappointment, isn't it? There were hardly any masterpiece-materials to begin with, but even with the things I enjoyed...

The Rising of the Shield Hero pretty much fully derailed itself by the end with how useless it make the other heroes to be and generally how dumb and irrelevant the whole supporting cast became. I'd love it if it was the story of shield hero overcoming these extreme challenges and his own hatred for the world he was summoned to, but making him this OP and some kind of beacon of righteousness was so dumb. Another isekai show that starts intriguingly but then just devolves into all the tired tropes and shotty storytelling that does not respects its own setting and rules of its world.

Senko-san was kind of fun, but I also abhor the way it ended. So you have a salaryman that gets exploited in his work every day to the point of exhaustion, blame himself for not being able to do the f**** impossible for his shithead boss and coworkers, have no time and energy for human interaction and nearly goes crazy because of it. And what's the answer? Changing his job? Connecting with actual people? No, a fox loli from the sky that will slave for him in his house. I would love this show if Senko's presence led to him actually changing his life and pushing him into a position where her constant pampering is no longer necessary. But I guess that would mean him actually having dignity, rather than just putting a bandaid over the abuse he's receiving. Japanese work culture is a f***** cancer.

Also, a (dis)honourable mention goes to Joushikausei, the worst short comedy anime I've ever seen. And yeah, there are many bad ones, but God that was dreadful - possibly the worst possible manga to adapt into an anime (no dialogue, awkward fanservice etc.) and done in an even worse way than it had to be. This should be freakin' criminalized.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

I was pretty stoked for the Shield Hero anime, but it just wasn't as gripping as it was in the beginning. Shame too; this show had potential. I do plan on finishing it eventually, but I kinda stopped caring at episode 17.

I couldn't make it past 3 weeks for anything in Spring, either. I'm all for cute moe stuff, but neither of the two SoL anime I picked up this season had much going for the characters. I even lost interest in Senko-san once its novelty wore off. My two main criteria for enjoyable slice of life is that the characters need to have serious and well-written development, like Bunny Girl-senpai, or it must have crazy, over-the-top shenanigans, like Noucome. Though Senko-san was warm, wholesome, and cute, it just couldn't my interest very long because it wasn't that engaging. I might give Senryuu Shoujo another shot, though, just because my friend likes the manga, and the main paring has decent chemistry.

9 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I might give Senryuu Shoujo another shot, though, just because my friend likes the manga, and the main paring has decent chemistry.

After watching the first episode when it was airing I wasn't really interested, but now that the season is over and everyone lists the couple in it as the best ship this season, I'm going to watch it all. It's only half length episodes anyway.

On 28/06/2019 at 4:22 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

This season is kind of one giant disappointment, isn't it?

Ya, even the things I had relatively high hopes for like new Watanabe and Ikuhara anime (Carole&Tuesday and Sarazanmai) ended up almost disastrously disappointing.

Yaiba is decent but nearly not as good as everyone were making it out to be (for now, at least, it can still pick up in the second half). I'm also not a fan of OPM to begin with and the second season is supposedly much worse than the first (didn't try it yet), while everything else is basically different shades of mediocrity at best. The only other title I can highlight is probably the first season of Kono Oto Tomare, it's a surprisingly pleasant watch even if a bit way too conventional at using tropes of genre for my liking.

1 hour ago, novurdim said:

Carole&Tuesday

I was going to start watching it soon, lured by the high initial reviews. How did it disappoint?

1 hour ago, novurdim said:

I'm also not a fan of OPM to begin with and the second season is supposedly much worse than the first

That sounds pretty bad, considering how heavily overrated the first one was already. :s

3 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I was going to start watching it soon, lured by the high initial reviews. How did it disappoint?

Trite, silly (or often just plain stupid?) in a bad sense, super-safe, mostly tries to be a very unfunny comedy with an uneven pacing and direction. Though it is admittedly very difficult to create an engaging comedy around such bland characters with a few "funny" traits. All the bad elements reach their peak during the pseudocomedic filler episodes about "trying to hit it big", god those are painful to watch. There's also no interesting story to speak of so far, you'll probably predict 95% of the developments during the first episode and the way those are realised is more irritating than endearing.

You'll soon notice how C&T is strenuously catering to the progressive mainstream western audience instead of the usual crowd of what you'd usually call "anime fans" which is not a bad thing in itself, but with Watanabe it breaks his usual quirky imaginative style into something very... weirdly sterilized which kind of breaks the whole point. There's a huge amount of on the nose references to the popular western films and events if you like that kind of thing, the production values are high and some songs are good but otherwise I didn't find much to love here and barely suffered through the first six episodes. Alas, maybe it's just me since the overall reception is mainly positive so far among those who do watch it. Maybe it's that new kind of western-influenced netflix anime everyone is looking forward to, I guess...? :vinty:

Edited by novurdim

44 minutes ago, novurdim said:

Trite, silly (or often just plain stupid?) in a bad sense, super-safe, mostly tries to be a very unfunny comedy with an uneven pacing and direction. Though it is admittedly very difficult to create an engaging comedy around such bland characters with a few "funny" traits. All the bad elements reach their peak during the pseudocomedic filler episodes about "trying to hit it big", god those are painful to watch. There's also no interesting story to speak of so far, you'll probably predict 95% of the developments during the first episode and the way those are realised is more irritating than endearing.

You'll soon notice how C&T is strenuously catering to the progressive mainstream western audience instead of the usual crowd of what you'd usually call "anime fans" which is not a bad thing in itself, but with Watanabe it breaks his usual quirky imaginative style into something very... weirdly sterilized which kind of breaks the whole point. There's a huge amount of on the nose references to the popular western films and events if you like that kind of thing, the production values are high and some songs are good but otherwise I didn't find much to love here and barely suffered through the first six episodes. Though, admittedly, maybe it's just me since the overall reception is mainly positive so far among those who do watch it. Maybe it's that new kind of western-influenced netflix anime everyone is looking forward to, I guess...? :vinty:

Now I kind of have to watch it to find out myself? I'm very curious on which side I'll land, especially because I'm quite tolerant of "pointless" SoL content and the MAL score is still steadily high mid-season. :)

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

5 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

especially because I'm quite tolerant of "pointless" SoL content

Funnily enough, me too :wahaha:

You'll see for yourself but there's not much completely "pointless" SoL content in C&T, stuff constantly kinda happens but it doesn't really help.

22 hours ago, ittaku said:

After watching the first episode when it was airing I wasn't really interested, but now that the season is over and everyone lists the couple in it as the best ship this season, I'm going to watch it all. It's only half length episodes anyway.

I watched this (Senryuu Shoujo) and it ended up being quite sweet and enjoyable. Glad I went back to pick it up, especially in a season of so much shit.

Spoiler

Shame there's no real shipping by the end.