Recommendation Threads/ Beginners Guide to VNs

I think lolis, newcomers guide and reccomendation guide/ thread are all good ideas. They target different experienced people. I think we should try and get all of them. Though lolis might be abit too much work.

-So newcomer guide, with a few vn's let's say no more than 5. They should very good and hook new players.

-A reccommendation thread like Kaguya's but with genres and fewer vn's? Around 20 in total? This is for people who have played a few vn's already.

-Let's keep the random threads people make asking about a vn reccommendation. I think those are good, even if the same vn's are being reccommened often.

LOLIS or whatever the name is sounds nice but would be adapted to a database website, which Fuwanovel isn't. I'm not sure putting in this much work is worth it. (Who's gonna do it anyway? Tay and Nayleen already poured crazy amounts of work into this forum)

LOLIS or whatever the name is sounds nice but would be adapted to a database website, which Fuwanovel isn't. I'm not sure putting in this much work is worth it. (Who's gonna do it anyway? Tay and Nayleen already poured crazy amounts of work into this forum)

I could do it. However, for LOLIS to work it seems like more members are needed. Since if I could do it by myself it'd be better to just take my 50 VNs list. Why not just look with some other members that also read a high amount of VNs?

Well, for the guide, I suppose we could break it into sections. Try to have it as categorized as possible, somewhat like VNDB. Have catagories for length, routes, genre, etc. There would be over lap with novels being listed multiple times, but hopefully, by doing it that way, people can find exactly what they are looking for to begin with VNs.

i agree with that.

--------------------------

(my own suggestion)

when pinning some of the recommendations , there must be a link form a certain recommendation to another which would be like "more like X than Y" or "similar with X/Y" .... or something like that if you know what i mean...

I could do it. However, for LOLIS to work it seems like more members are needed. Since if I could do it by myself it'd be better to just take my 50 VNs list. Why not just look with some other members that also read a high amount of VNs?

I think he means who would write the code for the system, once that is done I am sure lot of people would actually use it.

And yes, it would require some database implementation for it to work, which could be done with the talented people we have. Its not about becoming detailed database like vndb, but vndb lists all VNs, whether or not they have English patch. Fuwanovel mostly only lists games that already have full English patch so it wouldn't be as giant as vndb and much more useful for newcomers (lets be honest vndb is not really newbie friendly as well).

And it doesn't have to be done in one day, it can just be made as subdomain of fuwanovel lolis.fuwanovel.net and people can start slowly working on it, I would help with what I can. The whole database process would be in the lolis subsection and then on the main page of the game there would just be another window containing information generated through that system, that way there is no need for any change on fuwanovel main website and it would just be another box under the comment section or something.

And it actually wouldn't be THAT difficult, I did a bit of mysql and from how I thik it would be done, it would just require 3 tables, one for users (using parts of userDB from forum for the login), one for games (also number according to main website) and one for relations (recommendations).

Under users there would be field for name, field for liked games (just listing the ID of games user liked) and field of agreed relations and disagreed relations, as well as of course login information, relations would be first created once someone sets them (with easy form) and added as entry to relations table, which would then be able to contain count of total users agreed, total users disagreed, calculate all the percentages and all that.

Table for games would contain game name field and field for number of total likes.

And then you just make a link to the database to display on website like I mentioned)

{gameID0001.name} - {total likes} people like this game (show list - {userID0001.name},{userID0002.name},{userID0003.name})

and similar for other data we need, it would require some time but I am sure people would be willing to help.

I'm not commentating on all the stuff thrown around here - but this would be something that'd tie in pretty well with the review system that was planned anyway.

My thought would be to have an option to "Recommended for beginners|advanced readers".

It's also not that easy as right now I'm the only one actually working on the site - ThatPlayer wanted to have a look at the framework used, but I haven't heard back from him in that regard.

I've been a little overwhelmed and sick lately, so I apologize for missing a lot of this initial discussion in real-time.  @Steve -- Laughed to tears when I realized (before you pointed it out in-line) that the acronym was LOLIS.

There's a lot of interesting content happening here.  Too much to discuss in an effective manner to further any one project.  Let's get a clear breakdown on where we currently stand, and what needs to happen:

PROPOSED PROJECTS

1) Beginners' Guide

• Different proposed formats, final layout TBD by a strikeforce tasked with guide creation
  • Next TO-DO item: Create the team and organize the project.

2) LOLIS system integration (perhaps linked to Nayleen's user review features (in-development))

• Due to the many other projects and the lack of "hands-on-deck" for coding the site, this will go on a back-burner.  That said, many proposed features (including the user review system that Nayleen's brilliant brain is working on) are surprisingly synergistic with this system, and it's not as far-fetched as you might think.
  • Thanks for the good ideas and brainstorming, Steve.  We're counting on you to not let us forget about the system (as our attention will go to other projects)
  • Next TO-DO item: Steve should make a new topic in this forum dedicated to the LOLIS system. This will allow specific discussion and will prevent it from being lost in the future.

3) Recommendation Threads

• Differing opinions on one vs many thread approaches
  • Next TO-DO item: Make decision about recommendation threads

(Double posting to keep the above post readable and clear)

My thoughts on the above projects:

1) Recommendation threads -- Continue to allow them.  I expect that some percentage of requests will cease if we have a good "Beginners' Guide", and that the remaining percentage would have made the threads anyway.  They're a social experience, and mostly harmless.   I, personally, am not bothered by them taking up too much space on the VN board (but if it gets worse, I'd err on creating a sub-board).

2) Beginners' Guide -- Who's interested in working on this project? I suggest the interested forum members speak up, and then we move the planning and discussion to a new topic in this forum.

2) LOLIS system integration

Next TO-DO item: Steve should make a new topic in this forum dedicated to the LOLIS system

1. I agree and I will do that :)

2. Little nitpicking, system is already in the acronym LOLIS, it is the S :) So LOLIS system is like saying RIP in peace :P