Memorable / 'Memorable' VN experiences (share your stories)

phantomJS

Inspired by TexasDice's revelation of the length of one route in Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai, I thought it will be fun and interesting for everyone to share and read their stories on particular Visual Novels and why it is memorable to them (doesn't have to be positive ones, could be 'memorable' for different / wrong reasons).

Now I know there are several existing 'best / worst VN you have ever read' threads in Fuwanovel. I hope for this thread to be different in 2 ways:

1) The reasons given for a VN to be feat doesn't have to be necessarily positive or negative, but can be unique ones as well (as you will see in my 1st pick)

2) Hope you guys will elaborate more on the reasons why a specific VN was picked by you to be shared 

Here are some of my picks:

Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai - TexasDice posted that Rikka's route in the VN is 29 hours long (!). That's longer than the total length of most existing complete VNs / novels out there. Will be heading back into the VN to see how long it takes for myself to read it (was planning to drop it). PS: please post if anyone knows of a longer individual route in VN (I'm damm curious to know)

Magical Marriage Lunatics - The most 'memorable' common route I had read thus far; it is long, next to pointless, insomnia-curing written, and reveals next to no relevant story details. I actually became drowsily reading this section for the 1st time (and last too thus far) in my VN reading history. Also, this is the only VN I know of which 'cheats' on the number count of H-scenes. Usually in most VNs, H-scene A + H-scene B = 1 complete H-scene. This VN takes those 2 scenes and says they are 2 complete H-scenes in the 'extra' section. Nitpicking? maybe, but memorable nevertheless as I had never seen another VN which does that.

Kuroinu ~Kedakaki Seijo wa Hakudaku ni Somaru~ - My 1st foray into the nukige genre. I was shocked at the savage content of it; this VN features close to everything one can think of to sexually mistreat women. Till this day, I think this should be near the top of the list for anyone who are looking for fap material.

Juukishi Cutie ☆ Bullet - This Visual Novel features the stupidest reason for antagonist to antagonise that I have ever known. The routes are also a bit wonky; 1 has a ghost possession onto one main sub-character and another has the heroine absolute no clue at all on what sex is about, but they are comically (to) written into the routes ( I was like 'wtf' a large number of times in this VN). Overall, this is one of the most 'I have mixed feeling about this' VNs I had ever read.

Edelweiss Eiden Fantasia - I love the original; despite the cringe-worthy TLed dialogue (and please ignore the wrong-impression-giving VNDB / Mangamer synopsis page), especially on the common route, this is one of the most emotionally impactful VN that I had read.

The so-called 'fan disk' is a whole different story however.Despite being a 'FD', It features no content for the original heroines (it's simply a title featuring stories for 2 side characters of the original Edelweiss), the quality of the TL hasn't improved 1 bit, and the premises for the story setting for the 2 routes are absolutely ridiculous this time around (Spoiler: one of them is based on this). Truly one of the worst VNs I had ever read....

What are some of your memorable VN experiences, guys? :)

1 hour ago, phantomJS said:

Edelweiss Eiden Fantasia - I love the original; despite the cringe-worthy TLed dialogue (and please ignore the wrong-impression-giving VNDB / Mangamer synopsis page), especially on the common route, this is one of the most emotionally impactful VN that I had read.

The so-called 'fan disk' is a whole different story however.Despite being a 'FD', It features no content for the original heroines (it's simply a title featuring stories for 2 side characters of the original Edelweiss), the quality of the TL hasn't improved 1 bit, and the premises for the story setting for the 2 routes are absolutely ridiculous this time around (Spoiler: one of them is based on this). Truly one of the worst VNs I had ever read....

What are some of your memorable VN experiences, guys? :)

Edelweiss was retranslated, everybody that says it has bad translation is playing the pirated version that is the old copy. How do I know? I was helping a stranger with this issue and he sent me a screenshot of the scene and I pulled up my copy from MG and they looked nothing similar and the font was different. Translation for both games were shit at first but were definitely better when they each got retranslated.(Eiden Fantasia might have been TL'ed with the release of the retranslation, as I don't remember if it had a shitty translation at first for certain.)

Now, back on topic, Yume Miru Kusuri is a 10 on my vndb because it featured one of the most connecting stories for myself. Aeka's route on there is about her depression and her entire route made me recall the time I was with my Ex who had many of the same issues because of the frequent verbal/ sometimes physical abuse she endured at her own house. Many times I thought she would kill herself while I was sleeping, or that she would simply run away and not tell anyone. (I talked more about this months ago when I first completed Yume Miru Kusuri, and that thread has the full story of my ex, rather not rattle on about it here.) Aeka was the most relatable character to myself I've ever seen in a Visual Novel thus far. That is exactly why I remember her entire route still.

Edited by Naterocks2000

I have not one but two memorable experiences with 孤独ノユリカゴ (Kodoku no Yurikago), and I haven't even finished it yet. It's a denpa VN and uses a kind of buggy engine (the current-year version is probably better...). Now the thing is you expect a denpa VN to fuck with you, so I figured both of the bugs were maybe intentional when I played it at first.

First bug: The music started playing more and more choppy, until it was more like random occasional hints of noise. Pretty creepy. This coincided with creepy events in the VN, so I figured it was jut intentional. But nope. It was just a playback bug.

Second bug: I was getting ready to read the start of the VN again, and decided I'd try to stream me live interpreting the lines. I didn't really remember it that well, so the fact that most of the characters in the lines were gone, leaving only random remnants that I had to somehow interpret seemed to me to plausibly just be intentional. But nope, it wasn't. So yeah I spent a long while reading buggy lines that weren't displaying properly, before I got to a new scene, realized it was probably a bug, and decided to restart the VN. This time it actually showed the whole damn lines. Video: check from like 9:20 here (the freeze frame tier frame rate is all on my shitty laptop, though) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/407180630

25 minutes ago, Naterocks2000 said:

Edelweiss was retranslated, everybody that says it has bad translation is playing the pirated version that is the old copy.

I never said that it has a bad translation (assuming you are aiming this comment at me). I said it has a cringy / awkward TL. And both versions were sold on MG. Why would you automatically assume whoever read the old version had a pirated one?

Anyone interested in the TL quality can judge for themselves here: link (Not my channel btw)

22 minutes ago, wyldstrykr said:

a scene where `time will shine` is in play

???O.O???

14 minutes ago, Zakamutt said:

I have not one but two memorable experiences with 孤独ノユリカゴ (Kodoku no Yurikago)

What is this VN? Can't find information on it on VNDB nor Google lol

Edited by phantomJS

The Fruit of Grisaia was very memorable to me, because thought it was going to be regular slice of life with romcom elements. They turned out to be full of feels, and very thrilling.

Little Busters was also very memorable, because the theme was about friendship. I also liked how it had the feels and time travel in Refrain. 

G Senjou No Maou started off as a mystery, but then chapter 5 was full of feels.

50 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

I never said that it has a bad translation (assuming you are aiming this comment at me). I said it has a cringy / awkward TL. And both versions were sold on MG. Why would you automatically assume whoever read the old version had a pirated one?

Anyone interested in the TL quality can judge for themselves here: link (Not my channel btw)

Not directed solely at you (You could have read it years ago, so I wasn't assuming you pirated it, I apologize for it looking that way but I wrote hastily as I was queued in a match lol), but most people I've seen say it has terrible translation on here and VNDB are recent readers and it is apparent they pirated the shitty version. The old version isn't possible to legally obtain anymore as the new version is the only one on MG. Again, sorry for not phrasing it better. I do agree Eiden Fantasia was shit though, as it had almost no connection to the original VN, aside from the side characters becoming heroines.

The quality for the original is on par with DearDrops, and that read fine for myself but the translation really doesn't matter here. Just that if someone read the old translation it is certain they would be disappointed and likely say how bad the translation was, when they have the inferior version. (I also took your original post differently as I quickly skimmed over it, after rereading it, your points are valid with the fandisc having a high cringe factor, not just in dialogue, but all around. Sorry for any troubles ^_^)

Edit: Lesson of the day = Don't do things quickly kids, it just looks sloppy and gives off the wrong message! Oh and it makes you look like a dummy.(I am a dummy, admittedly.)

Edited by Naterocks2000

The Soccer scene in Fate/Hollow Ataraxia is one of my all time favorite heart-warmer scenes. You get to see a playful, curious side of Saber that you don't really get to see anywhere else in F/SN or HA. I remember being surprised that I enjoyed that scene so much because I usually dislike scenes where the characters randomly visit the park.

1. Grisaia no Kajitsu - One of my first VNs. I went through the common route and kind of expected the individual routes to be simply yuuji picking a girl and romancing them. However it had one of the hardest genre changes I have ever scene. I played Makina's route first. and got the bad end first. Let me tell you, I stared at the CG for a full 30 secs not comprehending what the bag meant. While the other routes impacted me as much or even more so in most cases, Makina's was the first one I played and I was completely unprepared for anything like it. Also Amane's bad end is perhaps the greatest bad end I have ever read.

2. Ever 17 - I went into it thinking it could not possibly be as good as everyone was saying. Despite enjoying some routes, None of it, other than perhaps Tsugumis route, was something I truly enjoyed. I felt that despite what everyone said, the true route could not be that good. After playing it, I did not sleep that night.

3. The it's my own invention chapter of Subahibi - The feeling of being unable to drop something while having no clue whats going on with all the craziness in this chapter makes it super memorable

4. Saya No Uta - Both endings. Will never forget them.

5. ef - Chihiros route. I have till this day never seen a romance done with a disability like this. For some reason I empathized with this route the most.

6. Narcissu 2 Himeko's Epilogue - 15 minutes that made me cry. I made it through both Narcissu and Narcissu 2 but this epilogue destroyed me.

7. Literally all of Cartagra's bad endings gave me nightmares. Knowing that a bad ending is coming doesn't help at all. You cannot prepare yourself for this.

Edited by Akshay

* Grisaia no Kajitsu. Angelic Howl, that setting and that music still haunt me somewhat. You need a strong stomach for that....

Then there was a scene in Michiru's route ...... that made me break down emotionally. First time I ever cried while playing a game, and one of the very few times I teared up from depression.

Then Sachi's good end had me tear up again (bittersweet tears this time)

Actually, Grisaia being my intro to VNs in general, the whole VN was memorable for me. And Chiru Chiru is still my favorite girl from any VN.

* If My Heart Had Wings. Some of those flying scenes. Also a scene towards the end of Kotori's route, had a lot of action, and vocals come on at the right time. I teared up from happiness there.

* Clannad. I must have teared up almost 30 times during this VN! Almost every single time Shining in the Sky played, that was instant waterworks for me (Roaring Tides was almost as powerful too).

Then ....... "that" scene, had me tossing and turning in bed afterwards....

* Grisaia no Rakuen. Angelic Howl Denouement. THAT WAS THE MOST BRUTAL SHIT I EVER WENT THROUGH! As if the first time wasn't bad enough.....

Funny how the rest of the VN was almost light hearted, for the most part....

* Planetarian. You probably knew the writing was on the wall. Then it happens. And I come to terms with it. But the scene drags out ...... then it starts playing the memories. Cue the waterworks ....... lots of waterworks.

* ef - a fairy tale of the two. Good grief, did this smack me in the heart, and devastate my emotions towards the end. It covers quite a few unpleasant themes.

My choices are:

1) Katawa Shoujo

This was my first VN, so I enjoyed most of it, but there was one route I found very special for me.

While I agree that Shizune’s route is not that great, it was memorable for me since I unlocked Hanako’s bad ending beforehand, so I was needing to read something not so dark. As such, I greatly enjoyed most of what happened there.

Spoiler

Well, excepting Misha’s reveal. I strongly believe that’s what ruined the route for me.

Hisao’s interactions with Shizune were so memorable, I was crying a lot by the time I got her good ending. People may say whatever they want about her, but this is what made me love her route.

2) Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru

The entire game can be memorable if you thought a man that crossdress is gay. This VN, on the other hand, proofs that a even in such a situation, you can find a woman that loves you.

And if that’s not enough, I finished the game with Shion’s route, which was arguably the best route. Its ending was a awesome way to finish such a VN.

3) Aoishiro

I believe the ending theme speaks by itself. Definitely one of the greatest ending themes ever, not just in VNs.

my experience with if my heart had wings and katawa shoujo are the same as some of these entries, especially with kotoris route in if my heart had wings. but im gonna bring up one no one really mentions and thats hitomi: my step-sister, this one sticks with me for negative reasons.

so the other routes were a bit dark before going for the main step-sister route but nothing too bad. some bad endings were crazy but i just saw them as nothing but bad ends to the routes. however, none of those endings prepared me for the experience with the step-sisters and titular characters route, hitomi. the common route was nice because it was the first and still to this day the only vn i read with a step-sister route where it starts at when she joins the family. at first shes very reserved but starts to grow closer and more comfortable with the mc. its all very sweet seeing her smile and really start to enjoy his company as they get along. THEN the route takes a dark turn as the mc starts to rape hitomi.... yeah, i didnt expect it to take this turn. i didnt know about vndb a the the time so this was a real shock to me. and he really starts to do some fucked up shit that feels like its coming from nowhere such as nearly drowning her, leaving her in a public mens restroom to get fucked. i kept reading to hopefully a decent good end but of course, nothing made up for his terrible actions in the end, even if they lived happily ever after.

this one sticks with me to this day for how shocking it was for him to all of a sudden do these things to her and how it took such a turn. and again, only vn ive ever read where it starts at when you get a new step sister and they grow closer.

I remember Tsugumi's route in Ever17 being incredibly impactful and memorable for me especially the moment when I got to find out why was the way she was.

Honestly, I thought it was much more shocking than the revelation at the end but maybe that's because I hadn't encountered a character like that before.

Tomoyo's ending during her route in Clannad is still the best endings to a route that I have seen and man, oh, man did it get the waterworks going. (Happy tears but tears nonetheless)

I also picked the perfect song for it which really elevated the ending still further

Spoiler

Marimo's death scene

in MuvLuv Alternative still is my favorite holy-sh*t moment in any VN.

On the lighter side I'm glad I witnessed the Goat-kun scene in Umineko because it comes out of nowhere, adds nothing to the plot, doesn't fit the tone of the story, is incredibly silly, and absolutely amazing. Which is common knowledge in boxing.

The fourth door of The house in Fata Morgana. The contrast between the bittersweet love story (not particularly original, but very well told) and the "meta" element in the backlog which opens up to the "real" story was both crepy and fascinating, hard to find somewhere else.

I have 2 very memorable experiences.

1. Clannad: While this game has been mentioned a few times because it has so many tear jerkers, well... that's true, of course. But the reason I remember this VN especially (except for the reason that it was my 1st VN) is that it was the only VN so far that made me shed tears by of laughing. Generally the baseball route is extremely funny but then there was this one scene involving Yoshino Yuusuke. And after that I couldn't stop laughing for minutes! I wonder if anyone knows what scene I am talking about :D
  2. Muv-Luv Alternative: This VN including it's prequels was mega epic per se but then (trying not to spoiler) there is this scene when they finally reach 'the antagonist' and this was just sooooo scary in many ways. All the revelations were like 'WHAAA!', the antagonist looked really scary and the music fits that epic encounter perfectly. I have a saved game at this point and still load it every now and then when I seriously want to get the chills. I found the BETA even scarier opponents than the members of the Longinus Dreizehn Order in Dies Irae (and these are already remarkably evil).