Jump to content

Gore Screaming Show tools (gss-dev.rar)


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, tahu157 said:

 That project is dead and has been for a while. @CryingWestern was the guy behind it but he hasn't said anything in years and the project website has been taken down.

I was talking about this project: https://anothervisualnovel.wordpress.com/2019/03/27/gore-screaming-show-what-happened/

Still, it seems she's having trouble too. So yeah... xD You may be right. Many projects for GSS, yet they all die.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

I was talking about this project: https://anothervisualnovel.wordpress.com/2019/03/27/gore-screaming-show-what-happened/

Still, it seems she's having trouble too. So yeah... xD You may be right. Many projects for GSS, yet they all die.

Ah shoot I didn't even see that one.

 

On topic: I don't have the tools, but have you tried Garbro: https://github.com/morkt/GARbro ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

I was talking about this project: https://anothervisualnovel.wordpress.com/2019/03/27/gore-screaming-show-what-happened/

Still, it seems she's having trouble too. So yeah... xD You may be right. Many projects for GSS, yet they all die.

Yep, I contacted her and she said the same thing that was on her blog; that the person with the tools is MIA.

6 hours ago, tahu157 said:

Ah shoot I didn't even see that one.

 

On topic: I don't have the tools, but have you tried Garbro: https://github.com/morkt/GARbro ?

Tried it before. Doesn't work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bathhouse_Owner said:

Yep, I contacted her and she said the same thing that was on her blog; that the person with the tools is MIA.

Ah, so that's why you were looking for gss-dev.rar. Any luck finding it yet? I tried yesterday, but yeah, with TLwiki down, you can't grab anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

Ah, so that's why you were looking for gss-dev.rar. Any luck finding it yet? I tried yesterday, but yeah, with TLwiki down, you can't grab anything.

You can always rely on the wayback machine. That's what i've been doing to get the TLWiki tools so far.

(link at end of the post)
Here is the "Last updated dumper/reinserter Last working tools used before project got stalled (years ago, I know)":
https://web.archive.org/web/20140719102749/http://tlwiki.org/images/0/06/Gss-dev-2010-10-20-.7z


Unfortunately this does not have any source code to edit or fix possible bugs, only the executables.... Hope it works as is.

PS: I've been waiting for the gore screaming show english patch for a really long time... Really hope now it can get finished. 

Edit: It seems this only extracts images. The link for the tool that extracts the scripts is not on the wayback machine.... Bad luck.
 

I've managed to find it on a chinese site \o\.

I've tested it with Mugen Kairo(same nnn-system) and script insertion seems to be working.

2wdy441.jpg

Here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6brv4e4n2z6betr/Gss-dev.rar/file
Please be sure to reupload it somewhere. Its on a trial mediafire link so it could be deleted sometime.

Edited by darksshades
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're a savior @darksshades!

In fact, wayback machine is what did occur to me to try yesterday, and yeah, you could only grab the latest updated tools (which didn't include the script tool sadly). Can you tell me how you managed to grab from pan.baidu? I found the link for gss-dev there too, but I can't make an account on the stupid baidu. Is there a way to make an account on it without having the country code supported by their registration form?

Edit:

From what I've checked now, the tools work on GSS.

Edited by Infernoplex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

You're a savior @darksshades!

In fact, wayback machine is what did occur to me to try yesterday, and yeah, you could only grab the latest updated tools (which didn't include the script tool sadly). Can you tell me how you managed to grab from pan.baidu? I found the link for gss-dev there too, but I can't make an account on the stupid baidu. Is there a way to make an account on it without having the country code supported by their registration form?

Edit:

From what I've checked now, the tools work on GSS.

I've found a random site with several accounts and passwords for pan.baidu with "% change of success"(http://bugmenot.com/view/pan.baidu.com)

After a couple of tries I've managed to login with the second account and then you just download normally.

The HARDEST thing about this is the captcha.... It's in chinese characters <o>.... I've had to refresh it about 10-20 times until 2 characters I recognize from japanese kanji appeared and I could input. Seriously, I've never seen a captcha with kanji..... so hard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, darksshades said:

I've found a random site with several accounts and passwords for pan.baidu with "% change of success"(http://bugmenot.com/view/pan.baidu.com)

After a couple of tries I've managed to login with the second account and then you just download normally.

The HARDEST thing about this is the captcha.... It's in chinese characters <o>.... I've had to refresh it about 10-20 times until 2 characters I recognize from japanese kanji appeared and I could input. Seriously, I've never seen a captcha with kanji..... so hard.

Ah, yeah, that's one way to solve the problem. But most of the time, I never find an account working that way. You were lucky xD

In all honesty, Baidu is the worst. It's a shame that sometimes what you are looking for is only hosted there. Anyway, I uploaded gss-dev.rar combined with the latest updated tools on google drive. In case someone ever looks at this thread in search for System-NNN tools, here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O7YwO_U0vnbvrA5ps5tsOa3T7jU-QD_x

Also... the prologue scene from Gore Screaming Show seems to also have some lines which aren't in the script. I guess they may be images, but I am not sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Ramaladni said:

Can you only insert full-width text?

 

You can edit with a text editor a file on init folder named printmessage.xtx that has a lot of options related to font. This engine also have a lot of changeable options on the files in the init folder so it might be there somewhere.

 

Some options that might help a little are to fit better in the textbox:

There are a couple important lines in this: This is originally written by Yascob:

"

fontSize 28

sets the font size of the normal message text.

nextY 36

sets the vertical offset of the normal text from the name (from bottom of the top of the name to the top of the text). So 36 pixels down from the top of the name text is where the normal text is.

nameFontSize 28

Changes the name's font size (keep this the same as fontSize to make the font and the name the same size)

LNextY 36

Changes the vertical offset in the case of multiline messages (keep this the same as nextY to keep the spacing similar.)

"

Also: Someone also said this:

"You can manually edit the font with a font editor (eg: High-Logic FontCreator) and reduce the distance." by RazoR

 

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm refering to this thread 

 

 

Edited by darksshades
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, darksshades said:

You can always rely on the wayback machine. That's what i've been doing to get the TLWiki tools so far.

(link at end of the post)
Here is the "Last updated dumper/reinserter Last working tools used before project got stalled (years ago, I know)":
https://web.archive.org/web/20140719102749/http://tlwiki.org/images/0/06/Gss-dev-2010-10-20-.7z


Unfortunately this does not have any source code to edit or fix possible bugs, only the executables.... Hope it works as is.

PS: I've been waiting for the gore screaming show english patch for a really long time... Really hope now it can get finished. 

Edit: It seems this only extracts images. The link for the tool that extracts the scripts is not on the wayback machine.... Bad luck.
 

I've managed to find it on a chinese site \o\.

I've tested it with Mugen Kairo(same nnn-system) and script insertion seems to be working.

2wdy441.jpg

Here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6brv4e4n2z6betr/Gss-dev.rar/file
Please be sure to reupload it somewhere. Its on a trial mediafire link so it could be deleted sometime.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

EXCELLENT WORK! Words can't describe how grateful I am.

Thanks to all who tried to help too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ramaladni said:

Ask me again in three years...or five...or ten...

I will :)

6 hours ago, Bathhouse_Owner said:

I am trying to make them work on https://vndb.org/v12677. I can extract the script just fine, but when I insert it and try to run the game, it crashes. Tried the workaround shown here but still nothing:

The format is probably different from that of Gore Screaming Show. And the workaround in that thread you linked was for that specific other VN. You'd need to figure out what's the difference in format in order to make the tool work on that Cyclet VN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Disregard that, I'm dumb and didn't realize there were other stuff to do before inserting. Tested with another game (Dasaku) and they worked.

Anyway, after fiddling with the tools and other engine files, I found you can make them work for pretty much any Cyc-soft game. You can make the engine do a ton of stuff too, I'm surprised.

4o7zzd.jpg



Here are my findings:
https://pastebin.com/vM4SjTJN
https://pastebin.com/UDVzKHnm

Tools:
https://mega.nz/#!AV5nWQCZ!aVLYk3TkxKxqYz1TNesZs8xoeXedrPyNEhf9W8x4MGY

Dasaku specific files (Only for Nuiawase version):
https://mega.nz/#!QF4hVYwC!mBAOWhHoLXM5V94YmvxiBL7UPYkQgx1u7m0ery-cXc8

To do:
https://pastebin.com/mkh2QfC3

I'll format this better later, as I'm busy ATM.

Edited by Bathhouse_Owner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice work @Bathhouse_Owner

This is truly amazing research you've done here. I see you managed to find a solution for ' display. Also, some of the things you documented are a very nice find.

Quote
>Image repacking
The tool for image extraction and repacking doesn't work, and a new one must be made.

This will require an actual hacker.

Yeah, this was discovered the other day. Jaefine can't repack images for her GSS project now. There's a source code on how extraction of GPK can be done here.

Too bad GARBro doesn't do reverse functions, so you'd need a hacker to write a code that would work in an opposite direction. Also... one more thing. Repacking .gpk files is not necessary. The games work fine if you just extract .dwq files from them. This is what I did. The only thing you need to pay attention to is to structure the dwq folder like this:

ednwmz.jpg

qje4xk.jpg
 
Now the real problem is how to make these dwq files. GARBro has source code for something related to how to read it (link), but not how to convert your JPG/PNG image to that format. Things I've tried so far to solve the problem...
 
I tried checking out various code repositories made by the developer of SystemNNN (link) but without any success. I don't understand Japanese, so I wasn't able to figure out what does what, and my knowledge of programming is fairly limited. There's a free version of SystemNNN IDE on the developer's site (link), but after countless hours of fiddling with it - I wasn't able to figure out anything. This is what Japanese devs used to make the game itself, but I had no luck deciphering how it works. There's a help somewhere, but reading in Japanese is hard. Maybe you'll have more luck than me figuring out things, seeing how you discovered a lot of things I yet didn't.
 
Edited by Infernoplex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

I tried checking out various code repositories made by the developer of SystemNNN (link) but without any success. I don't understand Japanese, so I wasn't able to figure out what does what, and my knowledge of programming is fairly limited. There's a free version of SystemNNN IDE on the developer's site (link), but after countless hours of fiddling with it - I wasn't able to figure out anything. This is what Japanese devs used to make the game itself, but I had no luck deciphering how it works. There's a help somewhere, but reading in Japanese is hard. Maybe you'll have more luck than me figuring out things, seeing how you discovered a lot of things I yet didn't.

 

You just found a freaking GOLD MINE.

In particular, this repo here contains support tools for SystemNNN, which can reverse engine, repack and pack most the stuff the engine uses. There's a problem though: The guy didn't include a manual nor a list of the required dependencies to build these.

Again, I'm not a programmer, but I still tried to compile the image packer. I gave up after trying for god knows how many hours and downloading a thousand files, but apparently it uses zlib, libpng and a few other obscure libraries of Visual Studio. Also you need to change the path of some files (D:\abc to  C:\xyz) for it to work.

Wew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bathhouse_Owner said:

You just found a freaking GOLD MINE.

Oh, yeah, definitely. It is a Gold Mine, but only if you know what you're looking at. I still have trouble understanding how to use those repos.

8 hours ago, Bathhouse_Owner said:

In particular, this repo here contains support tools for SystemNNN, which can reverse engine, repack and pack most the stuff the engine uses. There's a problem though: The guy didn't include a manual nor a list of the required dependencies to build these.

The lack of manual is truly a problem. But even if there was one, reading in Japanese would be a challenge. Then again, some level of dictionary-level attack MTL could maybe help us decipher it.

That said... I managed to build some of these myself on my end. Like this one, this one, this one, and this one. However... I couldn't figure out how to use them. In particular, I didn't figure out how to use them with the .dwq files. We just need a way to convert PNG and JPG files to that goddamn .dwq format. That's why I fiddled with the IDE, trying to develop a VN myself. But I had no luck. I don't understand how to use that IDE. What I am sure of is that .dwq files are a proprietary format made by the developer of the SystemNNN engine. Making them should be doable inside that SystemNNNEdit IDE. I don't know how to do it, though. I tried with the repos I linked just now, and I still didn't manage to solve the problem. You're supposed to make a mask for those picture files. .DWQ is basically masking images, so that they can't be read outside the game. And we already have code that deciphers these images back to PNG, JPG formats, but we're missing the code on how to convert them back into DWQ. I wish my coding/programming skills weren't shit, so I could write a tool for that myself... Sigh.

8 hours ago, Bathhouse_Owner said:

Again, I'm not a programmer, but I still tried to compile the image packer. I gave up after trying for god knows how many hours and downloading a thousand files, but apparently it uses zlib, libpng and a few other obscure libraries of Visual Studio. Also you need to change the path of some files (D:\abc to  C:\xyz) for it to work.

I could try building it up for you, if you want. But figuring out how it works is gonna be a challenge beyond me.

EDIT: WAIT!

THAT'S THE IMAGE PACKER?!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAA! Gonna try to build it right now! How did I miss that was supposed to be an image packer?!!!

Edited by Infernoplex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, now I see what you mean by the "compiling troubles". Yeah, the libpng shit was a pain in the ass for me too. I wasted hours on trying to solve that problem without any success. I have no idea how to fix the linker issues. But... BUT! Randomly, I discovered we both wasted time trying to compile it. Turns out the binary of "pacNyan.exe" is already available. Just grab it from here.

Now... the real problem is - How does one use it? I have no idea. It created a dwq folder, but... it's empty. I'll try fiddling with it a bit, but so far... no luck in deciphering how to get those dwq files with it. It's definitely the tool for it, but no idea how it's supposed to be used.

Edit: I figured out how you use the tool!

The readme file actually explains it pretty well. You need to make these folders according to your pic format. For testing purposes, I extracted some images from GSS in all possible formats that GARBro allows, and made folders like this:

rrkfli.jpg

Then you just put images in their respective folders accordingly by their format. PacNyan can only convert .bmp and .jpg files (which is perfectly fine, we don't need any other format). Also, apparently this tool also makes gtb files. I am still experimenting, but this is definitely it! You're a genius, Bathouse_Owner! I didn't even realize this was the tool for it!

I am yet to see whether the games work when I put in my dwq-made files, but I'll try it out soon.

Edit 2: YES, IT WORKS! THIS IS IT! WE HAVE FOUND A DWQ + GTB TOOL! I confirmed it works inside the game! Without you, I would have never figured it out! THANK YOU :D Someone needs to write a documentation and pack all these tools together!

Edited by Infernoplex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...