What other content would you want to see from the visual novel community as a whole? (Not just more translations)

Just now, Frullo NDE said:

This. Reviews or analysis of single VNs are fine, but I would love to see more in-depth articles about VNs as a medium.

If you search the blog section, there are a a few interesting older ones (especially those by Palas imo), but recently there has been very little content in that regard. I'm thinking about starting one myself, but I'm not really an expert on these things and tend to struggle with keeping up my motivation up for long term projects. Right now I'm trying to rearrange my loose thoughts on weak protagonists into a cohesive text.

15 hours ago, lunaterra said:

I'd like to see less of a divide between EVNs and JVNs.

The divide exists in part because the Japanese have an entire professional industry built around VNs (predominantly eroge).  You have developers that have devoted their careers to making these games--people who have worked in the industry for decades.  The English industry isn't anywhere near as professionalized or mature--and there are cultural and commercial barriers that continue to hinder such development.  An apples to apples comparison would be OELVNs on Steam and doujin eroge on DLsite.  It just so happens that, right now, there is a lot more translated professional content than translated doujin content.

Edited by sanahtlig

3 hours ago, Zalor said:

Isn't that Clephas's blog?

While I do read Clephas's blog posts from time to time, I don't consider it to be good enough for what I had in mind earlier. I meant more like an elaborate news site with many reviewers throwing in their opinions and thoughts on many eroge-related matters, be it full-on VN reviews or industry in general, as well as critique on translations, etc. Clephas alone can't cover all of this obviously.

Edited by Infernoplex

11 hours ago, AustriaVNFan said:

Wouldn't that be @Plk_Lesiak ?

When I want to find a good EVN or info about it, I always look up his/her VNDB list ;)

@Plk_Lesiak is doing a great job giving more recognition to EVNs, but the problem is that he is just a single person, and, like any reviewer, he has his own taste, and it may quite different to the tastes of many JVN readers. And since he only reviews EVNs, if you didn't play many of them yourself, it might be hard to gauge if his taste is even similar to yours or not. Thus, I actually understand why some long-time JVN-only reader may find his reviews unconvincing.

I'd say, this means that we simply need more EVN reviewers. Or, even better, reviewers who wouldn't make distinctions between JVNs and EVNs and play both.

On 5.4.2019 at 1:01 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

Well, he talked about credible ones. I review Sakura games and defend DDLC.

Well, you review Sakura games and judge them accordingly. Nothing wrong with that ;)

And well, what's so wrong about DDLC? Why is everyone hating it so much? I found it quite a successful experiment.

2 hours ago, AustriaVNFan said:

Well, you review Sakura games and judge them accordingly. Nothing wrong with that ;)

And well, what's so wrong about DDLC? Why is everyone hating it so much? I found it quite a successful experiment.

Well, I was jokingly referring to the stereotypes/prejudices in the VN community, but I think those have real consequences. People see EVNs through the lenses of ecchi shovelware like Sakura games. With DDLC, many saw it pretty much as an insult to VNs as such, spreading a very simplified and degrading interpretation of what they are to the general public. Basically, a game spawned from negative stereotypes and reinforcing those significantly. Plus, many people abhorred the meme culture around it. I think these issues made the proper judgment of what the game offered and was able to achieve impossible for more than a few JVN fans (I don't suggest, of course, that there are no people that hated DDLC for very legitimate reasons, we all have different tastes and opinions). But, the main point is that I deal with stuff that for many hardcore VN fans is considered filth, or at least something not worth their time and they have no reason to pay attention to what I do.

Plus, I think @Dreamysyu got another thing right. I'm just one guy with some very openly-expressed tastes and biases. Plus, the fact I only review EVNs might give the impression I'm some EVN-supremacist weirdo or don't read Japanese VNs, thus can't reasonably compare what I read with the high-budget most VN fans enjoy the most. Neither of it is true, as far as I can tell, but it's not like I didn't set up my blog exactly to go against the current. The end goal of what I'm doing IS to make the EVN/JVN distinction less important and my idea for it was an affirmative action of sorts - setting up space for discussion on those games that are more likely to be ignored by default and overlooked even if they're worth attention for various reasons. As the EVN market matures, I think we'll see more serious discussion about them and I'd like to think my stubborn insistence on promoting them might not be completely insignificant in driving this change forward. One can always dream...

Edited by Plk_Lesiak