My NaNoReNo 2019 Visual Novel

Happiness+

So this isn’t the one I am making for the summer. 

This is one that was created by my employer, Watercress, for NaNoReNo. 

https://watercress.itch.io/this-was-for-you

Let me know what you think, it’s really short at 8k words. Be honest with me, I would love to hear all your feedback. 

I did the writing and GUI programming. 

Ahh, good thing I finished ChuSingura46+1 yesterday, so I can put this in before I start my next big project. Will let you know when I have read it.

Thanks for sharing!

Btw. I just looked at that NaNoReNo page. I haven't heard of it before but it looks fun!

Edited by AustriaVNFan

3 hours ago, AustriaVNFan said:

Oh, and also: Is it on purpose that this VN cannot be found on VNDB or was I just too stupid to find it?

Makers of game jam VNs often don't bother to make VNDB entries and as relatively few people read them, often they go without one for a while. I made a few myself due to my OCD-level need to document everything I read, but I'd encourage devs to set up pages is advance. VNDB is a useful tool for all parties involved. :sachi:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

On 2.4.2019 at 4:44 AM, Happiness+ said:

So this isn’t the one I am making for the summer. 

This is one that was created by my employer, Watercress, for NaNoReNo. 

https://watercress.itch.io/this-was-for-you

Let me know what you think, it’s really short at 8k words. Be honest with me, I would love to hear all your feedback. 

I did the writing and GUI programming. 

All right, I read it and here is what I think:

First of all the most important thing: I found it a very charming little VN. I could feel the love it was made with and I liked the many little details like the email thing and the VN thing or the overlapping images at certain points. The cat bot was really sweet, too :)

Spoiler

The topic 'sadness about losing a best friend' was also well done and got across very well. I think you even get a good idea of the character of Ji and the MC and so you can well understand why he is so sad and why Ji was so important for him.

And that little beach place was so nice and charming that you could really understand why they would be so happy there (the music does it's job well there).

There was one real shocker for me and that was the end: It's probably because I ususally read extremely long VNs that I couldn't believe it was already over and also with those two 'choices'. But after thinking about it for a day or so I found it good how it ended, perhaps even the perfect time to end that little story.

Perhaps one thing I found strange: not all voiced parts were fully voiced. There were times when there was text but the voice was missing even though it was still the same person speaking. And yeah, sure, the graphics were not overwhelming and rather simple but they were still good enough and had their own charm.

Concluding this little review I am fascinated how - with relatively simple means - this VN manages to create a unique atmosphere that makes it a very nice read. Thank you for sharing :)

• 4 weeks later...

I read the VN a while ago, but my RL got me so busy that I completely forgot to leave my feedback here. :<

The first thing, I really liked how the game tackled grief and depression, the protagonist's thoughts, his interaction with artefacts of their lost friendship, the e-mails... It was all very impactful. I had some tiny issues with the UI was working (for example messages menu was a bit counter-intuitive), but the way story was presented was also great. The switches between RL and VR environments were an unusual and cool touch and I like how the game explored meaning behind different mundane elements of the virtual space the protagonist shared with Ji-min.

What I liked much less was... Well, pretty much anything connected to the catgirl.

Spoiler

the general idea of her breaking the protagonist's mood and disturbing his moments of grief weren't bad, but I actually quite disliked the twist - her transition from being life-like to showing herself as an emotionless program was quite heavy-handed and the reveal itself... There wasn't much to it IMO. I didn't mind the open-ended ending, but I didn't feel the interactions with the NPC added anything meaningful to the whole setup. 

Still, it was a cool little story and I'll definitely give it a positive recommendation in the NaNoRen0 summary that I'm working on (yeah, I know how horribly late I'm with that thing, but April did me no favours when it goes to working on the blog).

BTW, do you have any insights on what was the idea behind the catgirl and her role in the story? :)

Edited by Plk_Lesiak