(Serious) Disliking some popular characters?

Nekopie

I have a doubt that I need to ask, since I don’t know a better place to ask it.

Before starting, I must confess something: I have very low empathy for LGBT characters in manga and anime. I didn’t want to admit it, since I enjoyed reading Aoishiro, Kashimashi and Pulse, but it’s the truth.

I’m currently writing a Katawa Shoujo fanfic, where I reimaginate the game as an otome game, focusing on Iwanako and five male love interests. But there is a problem:

Spoiler

I hate Misha. I hate her so much that halfway through the fanfic I plan to have her commit suicide.

It’s just I loved Hisao’s personality during Shizune’s route, so to find that the entire route was all Misha’s fault pissed me off a lot.

Not going to lie, I believe that Lilly and Shizune’s dispute was because Misha was leading her into a toxic relationship that isolated her from everyone, so that nobody aside from her can be with Shizune.

Somewhat similar was what I felt after finishing Corpse Party Blood Covered.

Spoiler

I felt Naomi’s actions through the entire game were so forced, I couldn’t take her depression seriously. Sure, she might be scared that her best friend was killed, but I believe that what killed her was a evil Naomi from another dimension (the one from the PC98 game, for example), since she doesn’t recall in the game to have meet Seiko before finding her hanged in the bathroom.

And for those that claim that she was darkened: she would then have been darkened TWO times (one for when she splitted from Seiko and another one before meeting Satoshi, not counting the one she gets after watching the TV in the final chapter). I find it unbelievable that she can awake so many times from the darkening.

My issue is that these two characters are so popular, I don’t feel like talking about these games. I loved Shizune’s route, yet I can’t withstand how people like to portrait the characters as mentally unstable, and the focus that the route took in the end pissed me off more than any other route I’ve played later on. In the same way, I don’t want to keep playing the Corpse Party series if it’s going to be all around Seiko.

I might add Yuki Ashikaga from Cross Days, but I never played (nor I want to play) the game, so I’ll refrain from that.

So, is there a character everyone loves, yet you can’t withstand? I’d like to hear opinions.

Thank you

(PS: I’m not a English-speaking person, so if there is a mistake, help me correcting it)

I find myself trying not to choose popular characters as my favorite character from a series out of a (admittedly pointless and contrarian) desire to be unique in my taste in characters. A recent example would be 02 from Darling in the Franxx, who is a wildly popular character. I don’t want to say that she’s my favorite character because /everyone/ says that she is their favorite character.

I have a long-standing dislike (outright hatred at times) for the protagonists of Subahibi and Aiyoku no Eustia, lol.  You get used to being on the side of evil after a few years of it, hahaha.  For that matter, I hate Takeru from MLA.  There is nothing wrong (in the West, anyway) with hating characters that everyone likes... you'll just get trolled a bit whenever you bash them.

17 hours ago, Clephas said:

I have a long-standing dislike (outright hatred at times) for the protagonists of Subahibi and Aiyoku no Eustia, lol.  You get used to being on the side of evil after a few years of it, hahaha.  For that matter, I hate Takeru from MLA.  There is nothing wrong (in the West, anyway) with hating characters that everyone likes... you'll just get trolled a bit whenever you bash them.

Not just trolled. People do get genuinely upset. It can be quite pathetic to see people get mad over something like this.