Sol Press looking for newer/lesser expererienced translators for future "experimental" releases

NowItsAngeTime

8 minutes ago, thelink1123 said:

I believe its time for us normal folk to abandon this thread before the folk that come comment to ruin sensible discussion decided to get even more aggressive than they already seem to have been on this thread. Easier to not feed them, since they thrive off potentially starting trouble :sleep:

My post was already deleted :(

On 5/28/2019 at 6:36 PM, Infernoplex said:

It slipped my mind earlier, but yeah, sometimes it's the editor who changes the style of the script. That's one of the problems I am aware of. Usually, I'd prefer if the TLer checked the changes done by the editor and approved of them, but... in the pro scene, that seems to not be the case. Or at least, not often. Most of the time, the TLer just finishes the translation and moves on to other things, while the editor is left over with the script and does whatever he wants with it. So yeah... that's kind of a blind spot. I am not a fan of that, but it's just how things go in this industry. That said, the stuff I talked about regarding the style of translations still stand. If the editor has the final say, then we just have to trust his judgement on style. Speaking of it... the situation with editors is even worse than with TLs in this industry. Ugh, not really in the mood to talk about that xD But yeah, if the editor decided to go with overswearing in Fureraba, then we can't really blame TBAC for it. Actually, I don't want to assign blame to anyone. I'll still consider that a style choice, made by the editor instead of the TLer. Well, you say you found reading it "quite funny". I guess the editor made the right call in your opinion then? Fureraba is supposed to be funny and dumb from what I know.

Can only speak from my personal experience, which is about a dozen things with about eight different translators, but at least from what I've seen in the industry, the translator usually checks over the editor's output and does so-called "counter-edits" (75% of the games I've worked on). Also, who gets the "final cut" between the TL and the editor is kind of up in the air, though usually the TL and editor simply discuss anything where they disagree, so it's not really an issue.

And just briefly, regarding Fureraba: the translator has spoken very highly of the work the editor did on Fureraba on several occasions, to me and to others, so you can at least assume they were agreed that it was good work overall. I haven't read it myself, but the screenshots I've seen posted here and there have always looked fine to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Fred the Barber

@Fred the Barber - I may have worded myself poorly earlier (looking at it now again, I think the whole concept of "assinging blame" to anyone was wrong to begin with). As I said, I didn't read Fureraba, nor do I care about what most folks complain about in translations. I did see some screenshots of Fureraba where QC issues were pointed out, but other than that, I saw nothing game-breaking.

But I am glad to hear the TLer praised the work of the editor in this case. At least we can assume it turned out as intended by both parties, which doesn't always happen.

15 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Also, who gets the "final cut" between the TL and the editor is kind of up in the air, though usually the TL and editor simply discuss anything where they disagree, so it's not really an issue.

I may have overblown the issue out of proportions earlier, but yeah, I didn't mean to say that it's that big of a deal. And I know it's not always that the TLer doesn't check the editor's output. It depends on many different factors and how the whole thing is organized from the top by the employer/project manager. It's much easier when the TLer and editor already know each other (from other projects or through other means) and have a communication between each other. Knowing the projects you worked on, I know you were already acquainted with the TLers there, so I'm not surprised you guys were able to work together as a team. Not everyone in this industry shares that luck, but yeah, it's much better when the two most responsible people on the project see eye to eye on matters they are supposed to work on together.

22 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Can only speak from my personal experience, which is about a dozen things with about eight different translators, but at least from what I've seen in the industry, the translator usually checks over the editor's output and does so-called "counter-edits" (75% of the games I've worked on). Also, who gets the "final cut" between the TL and the editor is kind of up in the air, though usually the TL and editor simply discuss anything where they disagree, so it's not really an issue.

Absolutely.

I always work closely with the editors on my projects, and have never been in a situation where that wasn't possible. Editors should always be able to ask the translator for their opinion on something / ask for further explanations of translations should they need it, and translators should always read the editor's edits in case there is something they feel should be handled differently. (And in these cases, the editor and translator will often discuss how to handle it together, like Fred pointed out.)

So, this is very much not the case, at least in my experience:

Usually, I'd prefer if the TLer checked the changes done by the editor and approved of them, but... in the pro scene, that seems to not be the case. Or at least, not often. Most of the time, the TLer just finishes the translation and moves on to other things, while the editor is left over with the script and does whatever he wants with it.

15 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Absolutely.

I always work closely with the editors on my projects, and have never been in a situation where that wasn't possible. Editors should always be able to ask the translator for their opinion on something / ask for further explanations of translations should they need it, and translators should always read the editor's edits in case there is something they feel should be handled differently. (And in these cases, the editor and translator will often discuss how to handle it together, like Fred pointed out.)

I'd go beyond that and say sometimes the translator even asks the editors for ideas while they're translating on how to tackle some issues where there is no good translation for a word, name, pun, meme, etc.

10 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Absolutely.

I thought cherry kiss games weren't edited. 

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda surprised to see that no one here mentioned that Sol Press has dropped the ball on Irotoridori no Sekai by seemingly forgetting about it as soon as it got funded, you can see in the comments that backers are not too happy with the radio silence from Sol Press:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solpress/irotoridori-no-sekai-a-visual-novel-by-favorite/comments

Also no words at all from Sol Press about it on their twitter.

VN Kickstarters are always such as mess...

Edited by Nier

1 hour ago, Nier said:

Kinda surprised to see that no one here mentioned that Sol Press has dropped the ball on Irotoridori no Sekai by seemingly forgetting about it as soon as it got funded, you can see in the comments that backers are not too happy with the radio silence from Sol Press:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solpress/irotoridori-no-sekai-a-visual-novel-by-favorite/comments

Also no words at all from Sol Press about it on their twitter.

VN Kickstarters are always such as mess...

There are so many other KS that have so much larger problems atm so I think that is why there hasn't been that many people talking about this one, I mean it is quite a while until their estimated digital delivery of Irotoridori. Many VN kickstarters still have physicals delayed by years with very little communication.

1 hour ago, bakauchuujin said:

There are so many other KS that have so much larger problems atm so I think that is why there hasn't been that many people talking about this one, I mean it is quite a while until their estimated digital delivery of Irotoridori. Many VN kickstarters still have physicals delayed by years with very little communication.

minori: We always keep minority spirit

ChuableSoft: A medicine for your mind

Frontwing: Every week is Golden Week

Edited by Nier