Sol Press looking for newer/lesser expererienced translators for future "experimental" releases

NowItsAngeTime

From a consumer standpoint, I can understand that people are a bit sceptical, but I think it sounds like a decent method for training upcoming translators.
I would very much like to translate manga and visual novels myself at some point in the future, when my knowledge of the Japanese language is at an appropriate level, and this seems much better than taking on some big project right off the bat.

27 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Sol Press is getting ready to dive into H-RPG games translations. They are gonna "experiment" with the idea to see if they can make profit on them by hiring random rookies to translate them. You didn't hear this from me if anyone asks you :wahaha:

HRPGs? :leecher:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/26/2019 at 11:33 AM, ittaku said:

They ended up employing a number of new translators, 5 I think (including me). I know they're doing LNs, manga and VNs, but I don't really know what the experimental titles are as I've been put on a regular VN translation which suits me perfectly since that's all I'm interested in.

Congratulation on that, and once again good luck on Nukitashi. Also good for Sol Press there now that they managed to recruiting a number of translators, which is good enough for now (Hopefully they already got the translator for Irotoridori as well).

8 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Congratulation on that, and once again good luck on Nukitashi. Also good for Sol Press there now that they managed to recruiting a number of translators, which is good enough for now (Hopefully they already got the translator for Irotoridori as well).

Hmm?

@ittaku is the translator for Nukitashi?

That doesn't make much sense. Nukitashi was annouced last year while this initiative for new transltors only started in march.

Sol Press said on twitter that ningen is the translator for Nukitashi while @Decay is the editor.

Link:

Just now, Formlose Gestalt said:

Hmm?

@ittaku is the translator for Nukitashi?

That doesn't make much sense. Nukitashi was annouced last year while this initiative for new transltors only started in march.

Sol Press said on twitter that ningen is the translator for Nukitashi while @Decay is the editor.

Link:

I believe that plan fell through. I don't know the details but I was just asked to work on it and have been doing so for almost a month now.

9 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I believe that plan fell through. I don't know the details but I was just asked to work on it and have been doing so for almost a month now.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

I think it is kind of strange that Sol Press put a new  "newer and/or lesser experienced" translator on Nukitashi when it is arguably one of their bigger releases. For me it's probably my most wanted release out of Sol Press and Nukitashi has a lot of hype surrounding it and comedy/jokes are pretty hard to translate. Please don't take it as any kind of personal critique, I don't know how good your translations are and since I don't speak Japanese I am in no position to compare your work anyway, I find it just a little odd. (Also I don't know the work of ningen so it's not like I would have any preference.)

I guess the amount of translators in the VN niche is just limited, due to the lower pay.

In any case  I wish you good luck on your work and I am looking forward to Nukitashi!

7 hours ago, Formlose Gestalt said:

Ok thanks for the clarification.

I think it is kind of strange that Sol Press put a new  "newer and/or lesser experienced" translator on Nukitashi when it is arguably one of their bigger releases. For me it's probably my most wanted release out of Sol Press and Nukitashi has a lot of hype surrounding it and comedy/jokes are pretty hard to translate. Please don't take it as any kind of personal critique, I don't know how good your translations are and since I don't speak Japanese I am in no position to compare your work anyway, I find it just a little odd. (Also I don't know the work of ningen so it's not like I would have any preference.)

I guess the amount of translators in the VN niche is just limited, due to the lower pay.

In any case  I wish you good luck on your work and I am looking forward to Nukitashi!

No, you're correct. Nukitashi is fucking hard to translate because of its puns and memes. I certainly feel like they've thrown me in the deep end. Ultimately the plan is for there to be more translators working on it though and not just myself partially because of the difficulty but additionally because it's quite big and they had planned for it to be completed sooner. You are right though - there are very few VN translators in general.