Looking for VN to fan translate

Hello all! I'm new to Fuwanovel. Mods, please feel free to correct me or tell me if I did anything wrong.

I have been a Japanese VN reader for a very long time, having read more than 1000 hours worth in the last few years. A certain VN changed my life and motivated me to learn Japanese. Slowly, I improved and now, I don't feel like passive reading helps me improve any more.

To practice my Japanese, I sometimes like to translate VN lines for fun. For example, I translated the first 500 lines of Kimi e Okuru, Sora no Hana, as that is one of my favorite VNs.

https://pastebin.com/YBYAgSuw

I wanted to do something for the community, so I'm offering to translate something on the shorter side, ideally 2000-5000 lines long. It can be the prologue of a VN if necessary.

I can't give a guarantee that I will follow through with it, but if it is interesting, there's a 95% that I'll finish translating it.

I'm just looking for any ideas that the community may have which they would like translated! Thank you all!

If I cannot find an interesting and worthwhile candidate, I will default to Kimi e Okuru, Sora no Hana and translate at least 5000 lines of it. Who knows, maybe I just might persevere through the whole 20000-30000 lines if I find it fun enough.

Once again, thank you!

Good for you, but i'd advise against asking this on this forum. Not going to point at any individuals, but really toxic elitism is pretty rampant on this forum where translations are concerned.

For your question i'd suggest you try something short and original to begin with. You never know how motivated you truly are until you've been at it for a while, so i'd start with something short.

Thanks for the advice!

What is this "rampant toxic elitism" that you're talking about? Are people afraid that the translation quality will be poor or something?

And yes, I definitely agree that I don't know how motivated I'll be until I've been at it for a while, which is why I won't announce the Kimisora/other project until I have something substantial.

Edited by HoshizoraNoHikari
Fixed spelling!

Rewrite has a few very short VNs (I guess you can consider them fandiscs?) you could consider:

Cradles Tale: An epilogue to the whole thing

https://vndb.org/v21644

Oka-ken Katsudou 1 and 2

https://vndb.org/v19611

A slice of life comedy series that would probably take place in the common route where Lucia and Chihaya become school idols

Valkyrie Runabout: https://vndb.org/v16476

Relatively easy to translate, a solid cast of characters, and the last work by the writer of Shuffle before his unfortunate death in 2016.  It is an isekaimono about the aftermath of saving the world from the demon king, focused on the summoned Great Sage and his humorous bevy of weird deredere heroines. 

9 hours ago, HoshizoraNoHikari said:

I translated the first 500 lines of Kimi e Okuru, Sora no Hana, as that is one of my favorite VNs.

You have good taste! One of my personal favorites, too! It truly does deserve a new translation, as what SakuraGame did to it can't even be called a "translation." Their garbage job is just insulting to the original work.

Best of luck, with whatever you end up choosing! If you do end up picking Kimisora, I'm sure lots of people will be pleased hearing a more proper translation is in the works. ^^

Thank you all very much for your suggestions!

After thinking for a while, I have decided that I will work on translating Kimisora. Not only is it a VN I hold dear to my heart, but I have already figured out the unpacking and packing of the script which means that I can focus solely on the translation.

Once again, thank you to those who took the time to offered me a suggestion.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:45 PM, HoshizoraNoHikari said:

“rampant toxic elitism" that you're talking about? Are people afraid that the translation quality will be poor or something?

yes, that is what we’re concerned about, so the easy solution is to not be bad

i don’t know about your actual translation skills but you seem to have a good enough grasp on English that this won’t be an issue on that end

(tl note: stormwolf calls it toxic rampant elitism but it’s just having any level of standards or respect for the work)

Edited by McDerpingheimer III