What's your favorite platform to play visual novels?

ztrepzilius

It seems many people prefer PC based on 2019 Census results. What are the reasons you prefer to play visual novels on certain device? Do you think it's worth the cost for companies port to mobile device, handheld console, etc. I asked because I seen some people repeatedly asking for PS Vita/Nintendo Switch ports.

Edited by ztrepzilius

Even before Sony's new regulations I mainly played them on PC simply because many of them weren't avaiable on console (or only as a censored version). In Addition to that, the PC is my main gaming plattform with the consoles only being used for exclusives or bad ports (or unacceptable DRM), so I'm using it for VNs as well.

Aside from that I played some VNs on PSV because it's portable and my only Laptop runs on an old Linux OS.

PC for me. I think visual novels are best suited for PC. They're the easiest to control on PC, they originated on PC, and the experience just feels most right on PC to me. It feels more personal to interact with characters who are right in front of you on the screen. And certainly it's the most comfortable for reading text. Portable consoles are too small, although the portability can be nice occasionally. Home consoles - well, I don't like playing a VN on the big screen nearly as much.

Skewed poll, because PC has most of the VNs. And it's the only platform for +18 releases (for those who care about them).

PS4/Vita/Switch are attractive platforms if you're into gameplay hybrids, and don't care about +18 versions. Not to mention you can play greats like Steins;Gate and Clannad on those platforms too.

6 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

And it's the only platform for +18 releases (for those who care about them).

Currently, yes. But there were also some +18 releases on NEC PC-FX console (like Pia Carrot He Youkoso).

From the wiki:

The system has a reputation for having a higher percentage of adults-only video games than other home consoles, in part thanks to its small library of games.

Edited by adamstan

Another reason, PC is more flexible in modding and editing them for things like adding languages, restoration patch, bug fix, etc.

Small market might be the reasons why few companies consider the overseas release of handheld consoles. I forgotten the name of the article. It mentions about how porting to PS Vita is not cheap. In some cases, they compensate the lack of 18+ content by adding newer CGs and text.

PSVita or Switch, so I can play it in my comfy bed and not having to turn my notebook sideways. :mare:

If the game that I want is not available for these platforms, then I will play on my notebook.

Also, I never played before on PS4 but I think it would be really cool to play in a huge screen!

Edited by nekofuwafuwa