Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai patch out

Stormwolf

On 3/25/2019 at 11:31 AM, kokoro said:

The tl is garbage and the leaker should commit sudoku, but considering he hasn't killed himself yet, I expect him to continue ruining vns.

Like people give a shit about the translation being bad. As long as it's out in English, they won't care. Hell, there are still people who think they're truly reading White Album 2 by reading the TL.

Not saying that this TL is bad. I haven't had the chance to look it over. Just saying that nobody honestly cares about quality in fan translations just because they do it for free, as if it's any reason to excuse a bad TL.

54 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Like people give a shit about the translation being bad. As long as it's out in English, they won't care. Hell, there are still people who think they're truly reading White Album 2 by reading the TL.

Not saying that this TL is bad. I haven't had the chance to look it over. Just saying that nobody honestly cares about quality in fan translations just because they do it for free, as if it's any reason to excuse a bad TL.

What a person defines as a bad translation is pretty damn subjective. It's that simple. 

16 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

Have my children please, VS-chan.

On 3/29/2019 at 6:43 PM, Zander said:

how so

This image has a mixture of straight-up errors and just poor TL choices that aren't technically wrong but are pretty bad in context. I tried to stick to posting lines that the majority of people would think "That's bad" upon seeing. There were a decent number of lines that I considered bad, but not did not include because I could see some people arguing that it was just a liberal translation or something. So really, this image is me being fairly generous.

The smoking gun of this image is that this is all in the first 20 minutes of the game. Specifically, I watched two Japanese "lets play" Daitoshokan videos, each 10 minutes long on autoplay. Reading normally, it would take maybe five minutes to get to this point. There's this many errors that early into the game, and it hasn't even started yet. This is the tip of the shit iceberg. Five minutes into a like 30 hours long game. There's 29 errors compiled in this image, 1800 minutes of game divided by 5 is 360 chunks this long, this number of errors times 360 is 10,440 errors. At this rate, the game will have 10,440 errors in total. Nearly every other line has some issue, and every third or so has a straight up TL error. If we're being generous and fiddle with the math such that it takes 10 minutes to get to this point, we can lower it down to about 5,000 errors. But like I said, that's being generous. Ouch. 

Unfortunately, this is what happens when someone with a weak grasp of Japanese translates something. They have to guess a lot, and they rarely fully understand the point of a conversation, so they make mistakes. Constantly. Daitoshokan is that in a nutshell.

FBKUBVq.jpg

CREDITS: QUOF

Edited by kokoro
Giving credits where they're due

7 hours ago, kokoro said:

This image has a mixture of straight-up errors and just poor TL choices that aren't technically wrong but are pretty bad in context. I tried to stick to posting lines that the majority of people would think "That's bad" upon seeing. There were a decent number of lines that I considered bad, but not did not include because I could see some people arguing that it was just a liberal translation or something. So really, this image is me being fairly generous.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to compile all of that. It's refreshing to have someone actually share their reasoning and evidence rather than the customary 'shit all over something without having ever even read the thing'.

My respects to you.

8 hours ago, kokoro said:

The smoking gun of this image is that this is all in the first 20 minutes of the game. Specifically, I watched two Japanese "lets play" Daitoshokan videos, each 10 minutes long on autoplay. Reading normally, it would take maybe five minutes to get to this point. There's this many errors that early into the game, and it hasn't even started yet. This is the tip of the shit iceberg. Five minutes into a like 30 hours long game. There's 29 errors compiled in this image, 1800 minutes of game divided by 5 is 360 chunks this long, this number of errors times 360 is 10,440 errors. At this rate, the game will have 10,440 errors in total. Nearly every other line has some issue, and every third or so has a straight up TL error. If we're being generous and fiddle with the math such that it takes 10 minutes to get to this point, we can lower it down to about 5,000 errors. But like I said, that's being generous. Ouch. 

Unfortunately, this is what happens when someone with a weak grasp of Japanese translates something. They have to guess a lot, and they rarely fully understand the point of a conversation, so they make mistakes. Constantly. Daitoshokan is that in a nutshell.

FBKUBVq.jpg

While you might be right, every line can look disastrous without context. 

I did a conservative review of the lines and I would say 13 of the 29 (also there's a pair of lines that's repeated for some reason and random filler stuff y u do this) are certain mistranslations, with quite a lot of dubious ones, v. questionable style decisions, etc. We can probably estimate that at least 17 lines are wrong. While this is not quite as high as kokomeme's numbers, you're still looking at thousands of errors in total.

Ok, but wrong don't mean a thing if it's easy to understand what's right.

If the original game said "Hand in hand they walked towards the sunset"

And the fan tl said "They walked towards the sunset, hand in hand"  You guys would be blowing as much fumes as a volcanic eruption.

Only "wrong" i wont suffer through again is a sakuragame quality translation. I'll read it when i'm done with my animes.

Well, time will tell if it's as bad, but i take any criticism towards translation from here with a huge bucket of salt.

On 3/31/2019 at 5:25 AM, Stormwolf said:

And the fan tl said "They walked towards the sunset, hand in hand"  You guys would be blowing as much fumes as a volcanic eruption.

This sounds more like what a high level autistic 4chan literalist would criticize. My conservative count left out anything that could plausibly be a liberal adaptation (including the bell line, which would be a probable style mismatch rather than a pure information mismatch; also leaving out adverbs or minor-ish parts like turning on your heel before leaving rather than just leaving) and anything I couldn't be sure of due to context. But okay, let's say we go to even higher lengths to extend the greatest possible charity. Maybe we're at 5 errors that unambiguously distort the original line in the sample now. this is about 1/6 of 29 errors, and we'll also take heart-boi's lower sum of 5000. 5000 / 6 = 833 + 1/3. Do you like the idea of reading something with 833 unambiguous translation errors? At that level, it's not unlikely that some of them will hit lines that actually matter and distort the story.

For enjoyment purposes the patch doesn't look too bad and it seems to have funny lines at times, so it's quite possible it will be on some dimensions a better tl than many other fan translations around. I'm not sure if the average accuracy is even higher than what's on display here, either. However, it would be very unwise to make any claims about the original text of the VN from the translation, above and beyond the usual caution to be exercised in that kind of situation.

4 minutes ago, Zakamutt said:

This sounds more like what a high level autistic 4chan literalist would criticize. My conservative count left out anything that could plausibly be a liberal adaptation (including the bell line, which would be a probable style mismatch rather than an pure information mismatch; also leaving out adverbs or minor-ish parts like turning on your heel before leaving rather than just leaving) and anything I couldn't be sure of due to context. But okay, let's say we go to even higher lengths to extend the greatest possible charity. Maybe we're at 5 errors that unambiguously distort the original line in the sample now. this is about 1/6 of 29 errors, and we'll also take heart-boi's lower sum of 5000. 5000 / 6 = 833 + 1/3. Do you like the idea of reading something with 833 unambiguous translation errors? At that level, it's not unlikely that some of them will hit lines that actually matter and distort the story.

For enjoyment purposes the patch doesn't look too bad and it seems to have funny lines at times, so it's quite possible it will be on some dimensions a better tl than many other fan translations around. I'm not sure if the average accuracy is even higher than what's on display here, either. However, it would be very unwise to make any claims about the original text of the VN from the translation, above and beyond the usual caution to be exercised in that kind of situation.

They likely won't actually ruin the story. If a line is wrong then chances are you already know whats right given the context leading up to that point or the dialogue after the line. It's happened so many times before, even in official works. Official works is worse in other ways, like rewriting stuff for who knows what reason. To make the dialogues more interesting? I'm not sure, but i think that's way worse than someone doing their best even though they might not be the best. 

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Well, time will tell if it's as bad, but i take any criticism towards translation from here with a huge bucket of salt.

This is 100% the correct thing to do considering the ratio of people on here that expect every translation to be of professional level when this was likely done all in the translator's free time. I certainly wouldn't put in hours of work to make something be pristine and 1:1 to the Japanese source text, especially when I am volunteering my own time .( "If they weren't going to release a decent perfect translation then why try at all?"-If anyone thinks this honestly, then they're one reason fan projects are so sparce nowadays.) Fair play that it has mistakes that may not be translated correctly but it is better than either a sakuragames translation and/or no translation at all. (Don't even talk about machine translation here, because then everybody jumps on the hate train)

1 hour ago, Zakamutt said:

Do you like the idea of reading something with 833 unambiguous translation errors? At that level, it's not unlikely that some of them will hit lines that actually matter and distort the story.

I read the Hoshizora no Memoria fan translation/ original sekai release that everybody said is god awful and it read fine, granted a few lines were literally untranslated (Sourced what the lines said to make sure I didn't miss anything), but trusting anybody's critique on a translation is like trusting their review of a burger when the reviewer doesn't like/tolerate burgers unless they are from 5 star gourmet restaurants. (The burger being a metaphor for mediocre/readable translations)

The outcome is you won't know how you feel about a translation, unless you read it, just like you'd need to eat the burger to see for yourself how it tasted. 

Edited by Thatoneanimeguy

Are there any (non-anime) reviews out there about this VN? Although the VN was apparently very popular in Japan, it honestly seems to be one of August's more generic works. It doesn't exactly look like the story would be on a comparable level like Aiyoku no Eustia. Is there more to it than just a simple school life comedy?

On 3/31/2019 at 9:44 PM, ChaosRaven said:

Are there any (non-anime) reviews out there about this VN? Although the VN was apparently very popular in Japan, it honestly seems to be one of August's more generic works. It doesn't exactly look like the story would be on a comparable level like Aiyoku no Eustia. Is there more to it than just a simple school life comedy?

As for the review of non anime (ie the VN), there's two from both of Maryzan and Joyjason. If you've been hesitate to play it, at least Joyjason's review should be more than enough to help you to decide. If anything else, I'll just treat it as school life comedy to avoid disappointment (Well I already think like that since the beginning). I hope that the reviews will help you there so that you wouldn't fall into the expectation like back at Chaos Child.

As for the casts, there's five main heroines and three side heroines. Since the heroine number is the same as Yoake (Well both of Daitoshokan and Yoake were from same developer), I'll just use the same format like back at Yoake here to list the casts and their VAs (ie the seiyuu). But before going to the casts, I'll give a bit of summary in which the premise is that Kakei did have sort of precognition power and that he's been a sole member of Library Club, at least until a certain encounter happen and then his life in the club was changing with the new members joining in and the club goal was changed to help the people in the academy (Which is a big task considering that the population number is very massive at 50,000 people (I don't know though if it's including the faculty staffs or not)). Oh and by coincidence all of club members did received an message from mysterious Shepherd, so the club also decided to investigate that as well.

1. Shirasaki Tsugumi - Our main heroine (Sort of) that was quite unfortunate in that Kakei did accidently grope her breast when he save her. Her goal is to make the school more happier, although she really didn't know how though. Her innocence can make the people follow her loyally at the very least, and that it manage to interest Kakei who originally didn't have much interest other than reading. Her seiyuu is Yonezawa Madoka who as we know her most prominent role us Ogiso Setsuna from White Album 2 (Just nice that Yoake's main heroine (Feena) seiyuu is Kazusa from the same VN), although she also have some other role though. Such as Ichinose Rika from Aokana, Hirasawa Ui from K-On, Akazawa Izuni from Another, and Leviathan from Umineko.
  2. Mochizuki Maho - The first side heroine in that she's the student council president, and that she's been interested with Kakei so much that she's quite annoying to him just because she's quite persistence. There's no much to her at the beginning other than she's quite capable as student council president, and that she's the 3rd grader. Her seiyuu is Nakajima Saki who voiced Sasamori Karin from To Heart 2, Kouzaki Umi from Koiresort, Saotome Miharu from Miagete (Too bad that it's censored), Souma Nanao from Sanoba Witch, Shigure Kanako from Konosora, and Momoyama Ichigo from Tokyo Mew Mew.
  3. Sakuraba Tamamo - Tsugumi's best friend, and the real leader for the Library Club because Tsugumi was too inept to do the work even though she's the president. Other than very capable at the leading the club and do the works, she's implied to have an interest to Tsugumi. As for Tamamo herself, her background is quite interesting in that she matched Feena in which she's the daughter of a descendant of a feudal lord and that she's quite capable in tea ceremony and flower arrangement, although obviously her family didn't have any political power anymore. Her seiyuu is Saitou Yuka and her roles is Fione Silvaria from Eustia, Houjou Ayumi from Tsujidou, Lucifer from Umineko, Akaba Chizuru from Seitokai no Ichizon, and Naotora Ii from Samurai Warrior IV.
  4. Suzuki Kana - Nicknamed Kanasuke, and she's quite simply the mood maker for Library Club in that she's make the atmosphere more brighter thanks to her cheerfullness (She's also the junior here). Her breast is quite small and have cat allergies when the cat touch her, in which both of those cause some angst to her. The latter is quite ironic seeing that she's like to play with the cat, and so she can only play with the cat indirectly through the cat toy. Her seiyuu is Eri Sendai in which her role is Inaba Meguru from Sanoba Witch, Tomotake Yoshino from Senren Banka, Kusunoha Misaki from Hatsukoi Sankaime, Otonashi Saku from Hello Lady, Kouzuki Io from Dal Segno, Takanashi Touka from Chuunibyou ga Shitai, Milk/Mimino Kurumi/Milky Rose from Yes Pretty Cure 5 duology, and Triela from Gunslinger Girl.
  5. Ureshino Sayumi - Kannasuke's fellow waitress (Forgot to say that Kana did have part time work at the cafeteria) and the second side heroine that was cute looking, but there's much more than that. Such as she's quite capable in computer programming, like to play the game, easily hold the grudge, and don't like to called small (Well if you say that Ureshino small you wouldn't hear her anger because you'll be dead with Ureshino as the murderer (By Kannasuke's word)). As for the seiyuu, her name is Mamiya Yuzu in which she voiced Emelita from Kamidori, Kurama Koharu from Senren Banka, Iyo from Nanairo Reincarnation, Yanagihara Tomo from White Album 2, and Otonashi Kushina from Love Sweets.
  6. Misono Senri - Known as 'Singing Princess' by the whole school because of her singing that reached national level, and yet she really didn't care much about it because she was more or less got pressured by the music teacher to explore her talent (There's also the matter of her past). While from the first glance she looks like a kuudere, actually she's more expressive compared to most of the kuuderes out there. As for the seiyuu, her name is Yamamoto Nozomi who recently got a boy with feminine face role such as Satou Koutarou from Wagahigh and Shibazaki Kaoru from Koiken Otome, although of course she also got female roles such as Arisaka Mashiro from Aokana, Kabutoyama Midori from Hello Lady, and Murasame from Senren Banka.
  7. Serizawa Miyu - The third and final side heroines, and her role is that she's the member of Broadcast club who also have a part time job as the seiyuu. She was the one who ask Library Club to investigate Senri for her personal matter. Speaking abut seiyuu, she's got an impressive one who is also quite famous in the anime as well. As for the seiyuu's (Rina Satou) roles, we have Ushiromiya Ange from Umineko, Kusakabe Yuuki from To Heart 2, Ohara Kuon from Island, Tachibana Kazami from Root Double, Souya Misaki from Snow Sakura, Haruka from Minami-ke, Rei Hino/Sailor Mars from Sailor Moon Crystal, Misaka Mikoto form To Aru Index franchise, and Niijima Makoto from Persona 5.
  8. Nagi Kodachi - Out of all heroines, her breast is the biggest although of course we shouldn't focused on that lol. Anyway she's one of Library Committee member who always encountered the Library Club because she always felt that Library Club getting noisy, and that Kodachi always warn the club. We also knew that turned out she's one of Kakei's neighbor, and that she like to watch the TV in Kakei's apartment. Other than those two trait, anything more would be the spoiler so I'll leave it to the reader to find out about her. Her seiyuu is Kiritani Hana (Kirihana) in which she voiced Lena Liechtenauer from Senren Banka, Ousaka Sora from Hoshiori, Ayachi Nene from Sanoba Witch, Hachiroku from Maitetsu, and Fia from Amayui Castle Meister.

I think that's all for the casts, and feel free to discuss about Daitoshokan at this thread. Have fun.

Edited by littleshogun

question: whats is the first OP song???

music room says its "straight ship"

vndb says its "straight sheep" (which is marked image song)

ill guess vndb is right because sheperd

EDIT: a youtube search gives me a remiX song and a osu game on sheep while ship gives me no result....

Edited by wyldstrykr

37 minutes ago, wyldstrykr said:

question: whats is the first OP song???

music room says its "straight ship"

vndb says its "straight sheep" (which is marked image song)

ill guess vndb is right because sheperd

EDIT: a youtube search gives me a remiX song and a osu game on sheep while ship gives me no result....

I've seen "Stray sheep" as well. Anyway the kana of the title is ストレイトシープ (Sutoreito shiipu) so people are guessing what it's trying to say I suppose. I'm doubtful シープ would ever be ship though.

12 hours ago, littleshogun said:

As for the review of non VN, there' two from both of Maryzan and Joyjason. If you've been hesitate to play it, at least Joyjason's review should be more than enough to help you to decide. If anything, else, I'll just treat it as school life comedy to avoid disappointment (Well I already think like that since the beginning). I hope that the reviews will help you there so that you wouldn't fall into the expectation like back at Chaos Child.

Thanks, the reviews pretty much confirm my thoughts that it's one of August's weaker titles. So not really 'must read' material and more for times when nothing else is available.