Top 10 Visual Novel Betrayals.

ztrepzilius

Spoiler

1.  Evolimit- Shannon Wordsworth, the main antagonist of the story, begins as the intelligent and cool-headed American leader of the expedition to colonize Mars.  He befriends the protagonist, Shizuku, and the other central members of the Calamity Monkeys... and when the 'patch' are discovered, he uses them to corrupt the central members, killing most of the other colonists and facing off against Shiranui and Shizuku, all so he can evolve further to satisfy his curiosity.

2.  Tokyo Babel (Higashide does betrayal well)- Lilith, Setsuna's summoner and a central member of the party - as well as the true heroine - both arranged for Eve to feed God the Apple and cause His madness, Astaroth's betrayal of Michael's intentions after his death, for Metatron to discover God's true nature, and for Adam to be made using Setsuna as the base.  When she goes back to kill her original in order to gain her freedom, she ends up merging with Tiamat, the core of the original Lilith, and begins the end of the world, cutting the 'present and past' of their world off from the future entirely.  She does this simply because Tiamat's fear and hate of humans drives her to create a world without sentient intelligence other than her own.

3.  Fate/Stay Night- When Saber comes back as Saber Alter in Heavens Feel, I felt an unbelievable sense of shock and betrayal at the time... Considering how deeply Saber cared for Shirou, I honestly couldn't believe that mere corruption by the Grail could completely rid her of any caring for him.

4.  Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate I- When Nadeshiko turns out to be a high-level assassin put in place specifically to murder the girls Shuuji is protecting, I was immensely shocked.

5. Ou no Mimi ni wa Todokanai- When Peony turns out to be a spy/agent that was sent to infiltrate the village and arrange for her brother to be captured so that he could be interrogated about events that occurred while he was in service to the previous King.

6.  Satsukoi- When it turned out that the protagonist's mother intended to eat both of her children to extend her life and birthed them for that purpose in the first place.

7.  Soukou Akki Muramasa- When Kageaki found out in Kanae's path that his adopted father was arranging for him to have clemency after he finished hunting down Hikaru.  Since he knew Kageaki's only lifeline to sanity was the fact that he would be executed after he killed his daughter for his crimes (the 'good' people Muramasa forced him to kill as a balance for the evil), this was a terrible betrayal.

8.  Hello, Lady - Ruri's betrayal of her entire family when she discovered Genmu Kurofune intended to massacre them in order to claim the family name and wealth and chose to say nothing, intending to survive and gain her freedom at the cost of their lives.

9.  Kami no Ue no Mahoutsukai - When it was revealed that Yoruko had been altering reality in order to eliminate any possibility the protag would fall in love with anyone other than herself (through means that included killing his sister and erasing his memories).

10.  Ayakashibito - Kaoru shooting the protagonist in the back as a child when he tried to help her escape after dragging her away from the site of her gang rape. 

Symphonic Rain

Spoiler

Fal's betrayal in Symphonic Rain was so unexpected that it just jackhammered me in the fucking gut I just couldn't believe it and it was absolutely brilliant. She had played the role of the almost perfect character and to have that all be turned right around was great.

Fate/Stay Night

Spoiler

Ah yeah I had almost forgotten how much Saber's transformation in Heavens Feel Hurt. I mean god damn that was painful when it first happened. That was the easiest bad ending to get in the game because even in the end I didn't want to hurt her.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:36 AM, Clephas said:
  Reveal hidden contents

1.  Evolimit- Shannon Wordsworth, the main antagonist of the story, begins as the intelligent and cool-headed American leader of the expedition to colonize Mars.  He befriends the protagonist, Shizuku, and the other central members of the Calamity Monkeys... and when the 'patch' are discovered, he uses them to corrupt the central members, killing most of the other colonists and facing off against Shiranui and Shizuku, all so he can evolve further to satisfy his curiosity.

2.  Tokyo Babel (Higashide does betrayal well)- Lilith, Setsuna's summoner and a central member of the party - as well as the true heroine - both arranged for Eve to feed God the Apple and cause His madness, Astaroth's betrayal of Michael's intentions after his death, for Metatron to discover God's true nature, and for Adam to be made using Setsuna as the base.  When she goes back to kill her original in order to gain her freedom, she ends up merging with Tiamat, the core of the original Lilith, and begins the end of the world, cutting the 'present and past' of their world off from the future entirely.  She does this simply because Tiamat's fear and hate of humans drives her to create a world without sentient intelligence other than her own.

3.  Fate/Stay Night- When Saber comes back as Saber Alter in Heavens Feel, I felt an unbelievable sense of shock and betrayal at the time... Considering how deeply Saber cared for Shirou, I honestly couldn't believe that mere corruption by the Grail could completely rid her of any caring for him.

4.  Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate I- When Nadeshiko turns out to be a high-level assassin put in place specifically to murder the girls Shuuji is protecting, I was immensely shocked.

5. Ou no Mimi ni wa Todokanai- When Peony turns out to be a spy/agent that was sent to infiltrate the village and arrange for her brother to be captured so that he could be interrogated about events that occurred while he was in service to the previous King.

6.  Satsukoi- When it turned out that the protagonist's mother intended to eat both of her children to extend her life and birthed them for that purpose in the first place.

7.  Soukou Akki Muramasa- When Kageaki found out in Kanae's path that his adopted father was arranging for him to have clemency after he finished hunting down Hikaru.  Since he knew Kageaki's only lifeline to sanity was the fact that he would be executed after he killed his daughter for his crimes (the 'good' people Muramasa forced him to kill as a balance for the evil), this was a terrible betrayal.

8.  Hello, Lady - Ruri's betrayal of her entire family when she discovered Genmu Kurofune intended to massacre them in order to claim the family name and wealth and chose to say nothing, intending to survive and gain her freedom at the cost of their lives.

9.  Kami no Ue no Mahoutsukai - When it was revealed that Yoruko had been altering reality in order to eliminate any possibility the protag would fall in love with anyone other than herself (through means that included killing his sister and erasing his memories).

10.  Ayakashibito - Kaoru shooting the protagonist in the back as a child when he tried to help her escape after dragging her away from the site of her gang rape. 

Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by ztrepzilius

8 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Symphonic Rain

Reveal hidden contents

Fal's betrayal in Symphonic Rain was so unexpected that it just jackhammered me in the fucking gut I just couldn't believe it and it was absolutely brilliant. She had played the role of the almost perfect character and to have that all be turned right around was great.

Fate/Stay Night

Reveal hidden contents

Ah yeah I had almost forgotten how much Saber's transformation in Heavens Feel Hurt. I mean god damn that was painful when it first happened. That was the easiest bad ending to get in the game because even in the end I didn't want to hurt her.

I was absolutely stunned by that scene in Symphonic Rain. I was so stunned I couldn't even think....

11 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Symphonic Rain

Reveal hidden contents

Fate/Stay Night

Reveal hidden contents

Fal is a good girl.