Recommend Me Something - No Sex Drive

Mr Poltroon

I am looking for VNs, Anime, and/or Manga with a protagonist that isn't lustful. That is, doesn't become embarrassed just by seeing bare legs or things of the sort, and isn't a pervert inside. Kazami Yuuji somehow fits the idea, strangely.
Ideally, subverts the typical "walk-in-on-someone-changing" by not making a scene of it, for instance.

Generally speaking, this sort of character overlaps with the "super dense" characters. The problem is that those do become 'lustful'/easily flustered when they come to realise things. Not exactly what I'm looking for.

Another way to describe it is characters with no sex drive.

Two things: It should be in english, and it should have romance.

Edited by Mr Poltroon
Forgot conditions.

Sable's Grimoire, although the romance there is somewhat minimal/one-sided, exactly because of the protagonist's attitude.

I guess Bunnygirl Senpai's protagonist is a bit similar to Yuuji? His sexual jokes are really low-key, mostly just teasing. On the more extreme side of the spectrum, there's Elias from Ancient Magus' Bride - that show's romance is obviously of a very peculiar kind, but considering how it ends, it's hard to argue it doesn't count. :P

That's pretty much the only ideas that come to my mind.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the Deus Machina Demonbane protagonist fits your requirements, and there is a romance angle, IMO... alongside a bunch of other stuff which is the reason for which one would normally play Demonbane.

If you haven't played Karakara (it looks like you haven't, from your VNDB?), now is probably the right time. It's been a while here too, but I think the protag would meet your requirements? And you should play it anyway; it's criminally underrated.

This is a super off-the-wall recommendation, but I Walk Among Zombies actually meets the originally specified criteria, albeit in a weird way (and you have to be patient on the romance angle, but it's definitely there). While it definitely does not meet the rephrased "characters with no sex drive" way of saying it, the MC is as far from the embarrassed and/or perverted protagonist mold you're talking about as one can get.

1 hour ago, Ranzo said:

Bloom Into You would be my recommendation if you haven't already read it

Yuu is a stone cold gangsta for much of the series

Right. I did get that impression from a few loose screenshots.
I figure biting the bullet on this one is worth it. Would you recommend I watch the anime and then proceed to the manga (eventually) (if necessary), or should I just read the manga?

4 hours ago, kokoro said:

Killer Queen

I started that. Stopped at what I figure was the halfway mark, having finished a route.

4 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Sable's Grimoire, although the romance there is somewhat minimal/one-sided, exactly because of the protagonist's attitude.

I guess Bunnygirl Senpai's protagonist is a bit similar to Yuuji? His sexual jokes are really low-key, mostly just teasing. On the more extreme side of the spectrum, there's Elias from Ancient Magus' Bride - that show's romance is obviously of a very peculiar kind, but considering how it ends, it's hard to argue it doesn't count. :P

That's pretty much the only ideas that come to my mind.

I'm sure Sable's Grimoire will be worth reading. Or is? Last I checked it wasn't complete, but is it now?

I was somewhat disappointed by the subtitles of Bunnygirl Senpai when I first tried watching it. I'll want to try again using a different translation (if such a thing exists) and see if my issues are with the translation or the psudophilosophy balderdash.

Acient Magus' Bride was unfortunate to me. Many praised it as it aired, but I couldn't care much for the scenery, environments, or music, so I felt like I wasn't quite experiencing it right. I hope that'll be different when I try again.

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the Deus Machina Demonbane protagonist fits your requirements, and there is a romance angle, IMO... alongside a bunch of other stuff which is the reason for which one would normally play Demonbane.

If you haven't played Karakara (it looks like you haven't, from your VNDB?), now is probably the right time. It's been a while here too, but I think the protag would meet your requirements? And you should play it anyway; it's criminally underrated.

This is a super off-the-wall recommendation, but I Walk Among Zombies actually meets the originally specified criteria, albeit in a weird way (and you have to be patient on the romance angle, but it's definitely there). While it definitely does not meet the rephrased "characters with no sex drive" way of saying it, the MC is as far from the embarrassed and/or perverted protagonist mold you're talking about as one can get.

Demonbane may fit my requirements, except the other stuff that would be the reason one would normally play it may well be the reason I'm not interested in it. It looks to me like an action title, and I generally skip action altogether. But I did like Sorcery Jokers!

I really ought to play Karakara, for this reason or another. I've been putting it off because I thought it was short and not worthwhile for that reason, but since there's two and I've found I'm really slow at reading VNs these days, it might be worth it.

I'll hold off on I Walk Among Zombies until there's more of it. Right now it just looks like a zombie title or a nukige, neither of which I like.

1 minute ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I'm sure Sable's Grimoire will be worth reading. Or is? Last I checked it wasn't complete, but is it now?

That last route wasn't really making it "incomplete", it's also the weakest one of them all IMO. But yeah, it is finished. :)

3 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I was somewhat disappointed by the subtitles of Bunnygirl Senpai when I first tried watching it. I'll want to try again using a different translation (if such a thing exists) and see if my issues are with the translation or the psudophilosophy balderdash.

I'd ignore the pseudo-science, people get triggered by it, but I think it's the least important part of the story. It's only an excuse to introduce the heroine arcs and those are in my opinion brilliant. I've watched the whole thing on Crunchyroll and didn't find any issues with the subs, not sure where you tried it.

7 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Acient Magus' Bride was unfortunate to me. Many praised it as it aired, but I couldn't care much for the scenery, environments, or music, so I felt like I wasn't quite experiencing it right. I hope that'll be different when I try again.

I wonder. I was captivated by the prequel episodes, the main series is a bit overstylized, but really has its moments. It might not be an all-around masterpiece people make it out to be, but there are some absolutely brilliant episodes in it. 

Tokyo Babel has a pretty good protagonist that should fit your description I think. The scenario is also quite unique and the music is very good to create a fitting atmosphere. It has some rather heavy mood swings between comedy and drama though and since it's a chuunige the battles can get a bit lengthy, but otherwise it's a good read.

3 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Right. I did get that impression from a few loose screenshots.
I figure biting the bullet on this one is worth it. Would you recommend I watch the anime and then proceed to the manga (eventually) (if necessary), or should I just read the manga?

I started that. Stopped at what I figure was the halfway mark, having finished a route.

Demonbane may fit my requirements, except the other stuff that would be the reason one would normally play it may well be the reason I'm not interested in it. It looks to me like an action title, and I generally skip action altogether. But I did like Sorcery Jokers!

I really ought to play Karakara, for this reason or another. I've been putting it off because I thought it was short and not worthwhile for that reason, but since there's two and I've found I'm really slow at reading VNs these days, it might be worth it.

I'll hold off on I Walk Among Zombies until there's more of it. Right now it just looks like a zombie title or a nukige, neither of which I like.

I'd say read the manga first and then watch the anime second and then marvel at how it does the manga justice. 

Yeah I'd also second the reading Tokyo Babel thing because the protag is really robotic and so is his romantic feelings. 

16 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Another way to describe it is characters with no sex drive.

1. The House In Fata Morgana doesn't have shenanigans like this, and actually approaches sexual intimacy in a nuanced and serious manner.

Though I think 'actually acts like a functioning human person that understands women are people, and is not a baboon' is a touch different from 'no sex drive'. 

16 hours ago, kokoro said:

Killer Queen

that piece of shit VN has a cold-blooded literal pedophile for a protagonist

18 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

1. The House In Fata Morgana doesn't have shenanigans like this, and actually approaches sexual intimacy in a nuanced and serious manner.

Though I think 'actually acts like a functioning human person that understands women are people, and is not a baboon' is a touch different from 'no sex drive'. 

Rude

18 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Unfortunately, as far as I understand, Fata Morgana is a tragedy. I don't believe I will play it, much for the same reason I haven't touched eden* or Planetarian.

This is true. However, I maintain my request. Whilst the first sentence is certainly within the acceptable range, the second sentence comes from my wish to see protagonists I better empathise with.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Unfortunately, as far as I understand, Fata Morgana is a tragedy. I don't believe I will play it, much for the same reason I haven't touched eden* or Planetarian.

Fata Morgana is actually a bit different. While VN's like eden* end with a tragedy, Fata starts with tragedies and then deals with how to fix them. I found it overall more touching than depressing and it has a very beautiful ending IMHO. But it does have some nasty stuff going on along the road, so it might still be not up to your taste.