Root double

Stormwolf

Just started reading this and heard that the gameplay system is bad. The walkthrough shows a pretty damn high amount of bad endings. Any reason to go for all the bad endings, or should i just go for the good endings for both the routes?

Ohh and which route is best so start with story wise? 

Edited by Stormwolf

It's an enforced route order so you can't do much about it. Bad ends are technically skippable, but you should still read through some of them, since some of the choices required for the normal/good ends are within some of the bad ends.

Edited by wei123

7 minutes ago, AustriaVNFan said:

Really? I found it one of the best settings so far. Finally a VN not starting in school was really refreshing IMO

While school vn's are overdone, it needs to be more than "not" school setting to catch my interest though. I dunno, the whole being trapped and need to get out schtick is also pretty damn overdone. And if i can judge how intelligent this vn/writer is based on the beginning then i'm on a very rough ride. Ohh boy. Firefighters using a water hose inside a infernal metal corridor and room, and also saved a girl from said room... Ohh boy how could someone write this? They would all be melted and dead, bad end right there.

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

Ohh boy. Firefighters using a water hose inside a infernal metal corridor and room, and also saved a girl from said room... Ohh boy how could someone write this? They would all be melted and dead, bad end right there.

You've most likely just a room/corridor with a simple metal cladding. What you're referring to would be a class D metal fire, which means a significant amount of metal itself would be burning, resulting in temperatures around 2000 degrees. I highly doubt that was the case here, otherwise there would be no chance that anyone would be alive in there anymore. The stuff that was actually burning was probably just normal materials, meaning a class A fire, where water based extinguishing agents work just fine.

17 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

You've most likely just a room/corridor with a simple metal cladding. What you're referring to would be a class D metal fire, which means a significant amount of metal itself would be burning, resulting in temperatures around 2000 degrees. I highly doubt that was the case here, otherwise there would be no chance that anyone would be alive in there anymore. The stuff that was actually burning was probably just normal materials, meaning a class A fire, where water based extinguishing agents work just fine.

Normal materials in there would be stuff like the table, carpet, bookshelf etc. They would not exactly pose a huge threat, and no chance everything would catch fire either, so the trapped girl should have been able to escape easily. What the vn showed in order to dramatize and catch my interest was a huge fire related to that nuclear accident in metal corridors with the woman using a hose while not even wearing a headpiece. I cannot suspend my disbelief this far. 

30 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Seems like no one have played this. I follow the walkthroughs exactly but still get stuck with wrong ends. I don't even know what ending I hit as it didn't say, but it gave me a preview. Certainly didn't strike me as a good end so I dunno

You probably made a wrong choice somewhere. If you have to set a dozen trust values it's easy to miss something. But I think the bad endings gave you a hint to what you've done wrong (or was that in another VN). The bad endings also shouldn't be too far from the wrong choice, so reloading a previous save point should help. Beware of settings which aren't min/max values! Sometimes they are inbetween and I remember that I mistook the exact values on some rare occasions, setting a 2 instead of a 3 or something like that.

4 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

You probably made a wrong choice somewhere. If you have to set a dozen trust values it's easy to miss something. But I think the bad endings gave you a hint to what you've done wrong (or was that in another VN). The bad endings also shouldn't be too far from the wrong choice, so reloading a previous save point should help. Beware of settings which aren't min/max values! Sometimes they are inbetween and I remember that I mistook the exact values on some rare occasions, setting a 2 instead of a 3 or something like that.

I figured it out by straying a tiny bit from the walkthrough. I just persistently gave ena max value from the save point mentioned in the guide and i got her cg. I might have made a wrong choice somewhere and managed to compensate this way. What is the 1 setting though? I've always wondered. Is it all the way down, or up one step?

8 hours ago, AustriaVNFan said:

Now that I read all those entries here I remember how much of a pain that choice system was. It was the one thing that overshadowed this otherwise awesome VN. Without walkthrough I would probably have given up. I really hope that was a one time experiment :wacko:

7 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

I don't think this is possible to finish without a walkthrough unless you're willing to sacrifice a lot of time on it.

I actually tried: https://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/14092-root-double-before-crime-after-days-review-discussion/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-394441

I stopped shortly before I lost my sanity... :marie:

Finished with after and I hope it has an good explanation for things. Jun and that scientist going crazy out of the blue, kazami having a heartfelt moment with watase and suddenly suspects watase of being a terrorist and start trying to kill him.. based on a suspicion, not even thinking someone is framing him. It's good in general, but if there is nothing behind these behaviour changes then that's not good, not good at all. Well, I'll find out as I go.

I get why people think before is boring. It truly is. 90% padding for length. I will brave through it though.

24 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

If you've finished route B, then the weaker stuff should be behind you and it should just get better. Route D is the best with some pretty cool revelations.

I'm about mid way through b route. Feels like the writer really wanted to write a high school story too, and that's likely it. Hoping it will pick up soon, as the days in school and the infodump and pointless banter is a slog of a snoozefest..

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

If you've finished route B, then the weaker stuff should be behind you and it should just get better. Route D is the best with some pretty cool revelations.

But just like you said about watase in your review that he was the target of all kinds of shit because plot devices, it's pretty much the same with natsuhiko. Mashiro wanting them to stop terrorists by themselves and everyone making natsuhiko out to be the bad guy for actually being the most responsible of them all is truly staggeringly bad writing. He said they're just students and they should contact the authorities and not risk their lives. Realistic mindsets be damned apparently. I don't like this route as it feels like such a drop in quality :(

Can't remember if there was a Steam achievement for getting ALL bad endings.

If you're not using Steam or don't care about achievements, avoid them.

I overall liked the game quite a tad, though it was obviously very influenced by Ever 17 in particular. I loved all the gossip about radioactivity, and playing a rescue leader in a nuclear meltdown. The science wasn't that bad either, though the underlying setting is not that good ("BC").

Maybe better than what Uchikoshi did with Zero Time Dilemma.

BC is not that bad, a bit cliche with the Esper crap, but nothing bad. Perhaps it will be explained, but it tries to be scientific and then we have the naggy voiced protagonist who can only use his great powers in a pinch... Like every shounen character out there.