Anyone else put off reading some VNs because you know its going to be really good?

I may be alone in this but I find myself constantly putting off VNs that I know are amazing for the sole reason that when I finish a series the feeling of sadness that it's gone is terrible? Here is a good example of what I mean: I read Cartagra a while back and I loved practically everything about it! It was so suspenseful. It was the first VN where I was actually scared for the characters in it. I never knew what was going to happen. I know that KnS and the second one are going to be even better. No other VN series can capture the magic that this series has. This is the problem though. I like to save the best for last but my "last" feels like never going to read. I know when I start reading them its going to be a binge read and once there are no more I'm going to feel like shit since you only can only have one first experience. 

Some other VNs that I do this too are the Grisaia series (I started the first a little and liked it but eventually put it on hold and havn't returned since).

It also doesn't help that now my VN reading time is consumed entirely by untranslated VNs since I want to keep increasing my reading ability. I should probably add a little time during the day to read a good VN that I will understand better when translated so I don't miss anything being said.

Maybe I'm alone on this and its just me being weird  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I avoided reading Clannad and Steins;Gate for almost a year because I was afraid of being disappointed due to my high expecations. I loved them both once I got around to them, so I've decided to not wait around anymore if there's anything I'm really interested in.

In the case of KnS, you should consider putting it off until the third game (fourth, if you count Cartagra) is released. I kinda wish I had, because it's pretty tough having to wait for an uncertain amount of time to experience the conclusion to the story.

2 hours ago, namiultedjapanXD said:

I read Cartagra a while back and I loved practically everything about it! It was so suspenseful.

I know how you feel, that’s why I went on to read Kara no Shoujo. Which is the sequel to that. The characters you love do take a back seat as new characters show off their skills and solve a new intense scary mystery.

I know exactly what you mean.

It happened to me when I read the Muv-Luv series. I grew so extremely fond of the characters there (after all I spent like 170 hours with them!?) that when I realised the story was nearing its end I only read very little each day because I wanted to stay with them ^_^ and because I knew it would take quite an effort to start another story and get used to new characters there. When I had finally finished Muv-Luv Alternative I even made a short VN break (like 3 weeks) to digest everything that had happened there.

So yes, I can absolutely understand you! Although in the end my curiosity always gets the better of me and I manage to finish the VN ;)

4 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

I avoided reading Clannad and Steins;Gate for almost a year because I was afraid of being disappointed due to my high expecations. I loved them both once I got around to them, so I've decided to not wait around anymore if there's anything I'm really interested in.

In the case of KnS, you should consider putting it off until the third game (fourth, if you count Cartagra) is released. I kinda wish I had, because it's pretty tough having to wait for an uncertain amount of time to experience the conclusion to the story.

*cough* game of thrones *cough*

2 hours ago, Happiness+ said:

I know how you feel, that’s why I went on to read Kara no Shoujo. Which is the sequel to that. The characters you love do take a back seat as new characters show off their skills and solve a new intense scary mystery.

I'm well aware that its the sequel and that its amazing but I keep putting it off because i know I'll be really sad when I complete the series. I should just slap myself in the face and read it once the 3rd one comes out.

56 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Not usually. Only when i want to read something that'll potentially be depressing then i'll try to save some good stuff to rejuvenate with afterwards.

That's an awesome idea!

If anything, all the visual novels I read, which are universally considered as "kami tier" turned out to be fairly mediocre at most.

I don't typically postpone reading for such reasons, but I tend to have really long withdrawal periods after reading really good works and it's mostly due to bonding with the characters.

14 minutes ago, namiultedjapanXD said:

Is To Heart 2 really that good? Is there some decent drama? I took a look at it and I like the look of the childhood friend heroine with red hair.

It's my translation project so I'm biased, but To Heart 2 is a legend in charage that defined the genre for all that followed. The drama level is low.