Best funny anime?

1st tier: Everything @bakauchuujin recommended plus Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (both heartwarming and wacky character comedy).

2nd tier: Tsurezure Children (cute romantic comedy, with short scenes of multiple couples in every episode), Tonari no Seki-kun (comedic shorts in school setting, very imaginative and unique), Ika Musume (similar to Dragon Maid, but more on the silly/kid-friendly side of things), Gabriel DropOut (angels and demons attending human school, based mostly on role reversal and gags), YuruYuri (absurd gag comedy with yuri themes).

I've also started watching Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches lately, I didn't even know it was this highly-rated (7.82 on MAL), but it's pretty excellent so far. It has great characters and is much less harem-ish than the title would suggest. :)

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

6 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

1st tier: Everything @bakauchuujin recommended plus Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

2nd tier: Tsurezure Children, Tonari no Seki-kun, Ika Musume, Gabriel DropOut, YuruYuri

I've also started watching Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches lately, I didn't even know it was this highly-rated (7.82 on MAL), but it's pretty excellent so far. :)

I love Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid :)

6 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

I love Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid as well, just for some reason I felt like the other ones were more comedy focused and as such I just mentioned those. That does not mean I think it lacks in terms of comedy though.

I agree with that.

Edited by PrincessOfFinch

tbh, most anime these days aren't funny, even when they are trying to be... but I'll go ahead and put a few things out there.

I'm fond of slapstick, to a certain extent manzai humor, and I also find running jokes amusing, at least sometimes.  Situational comedy can sometimes make me laugh, but situational comedy is so overused in modern anime and VNs that I'm sick of it, to be honest.

Overlord is pretty hilarious at times, usually when you run into the gap between Ains' thinking and that of the other characters.

A classic for slapstick is the various Tenchi series (Tenshi Muyo, GXP, Isekai no Seikishi)

To be honest, since I've seen so many anime over the last three decades, it is hard for me to remember most of them off the top of my head, lol.