Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
MetalUpa1014

428 -In a Blockaded Shibuya- English Translation

428 -In a Blockaded Shibuya- English Translation  

50 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Would you be interested in having a translation for 428?

For the uniniated, 428 -In A Blockaded Shibuya- is a visual novel adventure game created and written by veterans Kōichi Nakamura and Jiro Ishi. It was developed by Chunsoft (known for the long line of "Sound Novels") and published by Sega. As you might have guessed, the story takes place in the modern Japanese district of Shibuya. The plot follows five different characterrs with their own seemingly seperate storylines However, as major events begin to play out; these characters are soon drawn together when Shibuya is locked down due to a deadly virus.

The game was originally on Wii, but later ported over to PS3, PSP, iOS, Android. Does anyone have any idea if a fan translation is possible? Dagnan Ronpa and Steins;Gate have proven that fan translaions can be done with iOS and PSP games, but is it even attemptable for Wii and PS3?

How does this visual novel not have a fan translation!? It's one of the few games to receive a 40/40 from the Japanese magazine Famitsu, it's one of the few visual novels to use live-action stills, there's hours of gameplay, a whopping 85 possible endings, and it looks like to be one of the best stories ever in video games. I'm completely shocked to see that no one on the Internet hasn't attempted at translating it. Isn't there ANYONE out there who's interested in this game at all? It's surely a hefty task trying to translate a 50 hour visual novel, but it'd be no doubt worth it in the end.

I personally have zero programming skills or experience, so that unfortunately prevents me from attemtping to do anything. However, if anyone was at all interested in creating a patch; I'd be glad to help out it someway such as being a localizer for the raw translated text.

Is anyone here interested in starting this project? Or do you know someone who would be able to? Please give me your feedback!

Relevant Links:

Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/428:_F%C5%ABsa_Sareta_Shibuya_de

VNDB entry: http://vndb.org/v1299

Game opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NLEW76ohSU

I imagine it would be rather reasonable for Wii (if not the easiest option), as there are mods for existing games, and the homebrew/hacking scene is pretty lively. If not, it seems that PSP hacking is also doable. I have not the experience to really say anything for sure.

I would love to TLC or be the editor for this project.

Hi,

If anyone will ever translate it, I'm gonna backport it to iOS (after all my other projects).

I loved the anime clannad very much, so I was very happy, when I found the VN on the AppStore.

The scripting language used in 428 (iOS) is encrypted, so you need to write a decrypter. This could also result in having different scripts, individually made for each plattform. So I would support iOS/Android. (Mixed it up...*sorry*)

Cause you talked about Dangan Ronpa: DR for iOS is totally impossible to translate, as it uses the Unity3D Engine.

lolgc~i-vntp

Edited by lolgc

I'd support this project if it were to happen. I personally own the Wii version as a VN collector and would like to play it someday. Because it's a Chunsoft game. Chunsoft = quality sound novels.

Cause you talked about Dangan Ronpa: DR for iOS is totally impossible to translate, as it uses the Unity3D Engine.

Can't the Unity3D engine be hacked or reverse-engineered in any way? Fate/Zero the Adventure for iOS uses the same engine, so I had a lot of trouble finding the scripts with no result.

Hi,

No, it's currently not possible for us to hack the unity mobile assets.

If you are able to unpack the WII Game & send me some photos of the filesystem, that would be great.

lolgc~i-vntp

Edited by lolgc

But back on topic, if 428 were ever translated; which platform would be the most likely choice to see it first? Is there anyone who'd be up to the task of translating it? I once asked the Dagnan Ronpa guys, but they basically gave me a "who knows?" answer since they're still busy with more stuff from the series.

Best thing would be Wii (cause it's the original platform), and iOS/Android. There are more devices of them, than psps exist. Furthermore they are easier than the ps3.

Best thing would be Wii (cause it's the original platform), and iOS/Android. There are more devices of them, than psps exist. Furthermore they are easier than the ps3.

I don't think I've ever heard of the PS3 even getting any real mods. I'm sure it'd probably be possible with the Wii. How exactly would the game be "patched?" Would there be a separate Wii homebrew app for it?

Fatal Frame 4 got fan-translated and patched,so it's possible to make a patch for the Wii version.However,I'd rather have the PSP version translated,since playing a VN on a handheld is more practical,plus PSP is getting easier to emulate these days than a Wii,so more people would be able to play it if it gets translated.Besides,the content for all the consoles are the same,right?It's not like we would be missing something without the Wii motion controls,right?

So,if anybody is really going to work on this,I believe the PSP is the best option.

As Wii games aren't installed on the HDD, you'll need to patch the game via a file injection (unpacking/repacking).

The huge problem is, that this will only apply to hacked Wiis.

(correct me, if I'm wrong)

Nevertheless, to get to that point of releasing a patch,. we are in need of translators.

Maybe Tay can post something on the fuwa blog. > ill ask him.

As Wii games aren't installed on the HDD, you'll need to patch the game via a file injection (unpacking/repacking).

The huge problem is, that this will only apply to hacked Wiis.

(correct me, if I'm wrong)

Nevertheless, to get to that point of releasing a patch,. we are in need of translators.

Maybe Tay can post something on the fuwa blog. > ill ask him.

Obviously you'd need a hacked Wii. Though it's very easy to do, especially with methods like Letter Bomb.

You do that. Anything to get this project off the ground. I'll help in any way I can.

Hi,

Anyone who is interested in working for this project shall write me a pm containing these informations:

-Project: 428: In a blockaded Shibuya

-Platform: Wii/PSP/PS3(?)

-What your skills are (TL Checking, TL, Editing, etc)

-What contact possibilities you have

-Any questions about the project.

I'll take the management over this project. (If nobody is against it :D) Tay will most probably post some things about this project soon.

lolgc~i-vntp

Hi,

This is how the team is currently looking like:

lolgc: project leader, Editing [iOS/Android]

8Floor: translation check [Wii]

Sakamoto: translation check [Wii]

We need translators! And someone who would like to work with the psp version.

lolgc-i~vntp

Edited by lolgc

Hi,

This is how the team is currently looking like:

lolgc: project leader, Editing [iOS/Android]

8Floor: translation check [Wii]

Sakamoto: translation check [Wii]

We need translators! And someone who would like to work with the psp version.

lolgc-i~vntp

I could serve as localizer for the Wii version. How would you send over the English text? Via Word Document?

Creating a poll that gauges support for the idea of translating another visual novel, on a forum full of rabid visual novel fans, is a fairly redundant exercise. You may as well ask a forum of pedophiles whether they want more images of a naked, 14 year old Miley Cyrus.

I voted 'no' to be contrary :P.

I need the raw script data of the Wii game first. We'll be working with them. So there won't be any word documents.

Yes, but after that script data is translated, you need someone to look over the text and re-write it into coherent English. I'm asking how you would go about doing that if you ever sent me the text.

Yes, but after that script data is translated, you need someone to look over the text and re-write it into coherent English. I'm asking how you would go about doing that if you ever sent me the text.

Yes, a text file (txt would do the job too) may be the best possibility to share the scripts.

"When I have a little bit more time, I may be able to do some translation for this, instead of TLC, but only if you cannot find another translator."

That would be great :)

Edited by lolgc

Hi. I just stumbled upon this thread because I recently decided to try the PS3 version of 428.
My Japanese is only at intermediate level, but I'd read through some of the Wii version before and enjoyed what I understood.
I'd like to see 428 translated to English so that everyone can enjoy it.

I also want to be able to view the Japanese script's text on my PC so that I can easily look up text that I don't understand.

I unpacked the Wii files a long time ago, but I was stuck on the format of the script (I'm not a coder, yet).

Both the Wii and PS3 versions use CPK archive format.

The Wii CPKs can be unpacked with old Cinepack tools floating around the web.

I don't recall what format the Wii stuff was in, but I think the images were in TPL format.

There are tools to extract images from TPL (I've done it before).

I tried unpacking the PS3 version today.

The PS3 CPKs can be unpacked using Noesis.

Video files are stored in SFD format. Images are in DDS format.
Those should be easy to view and edit.

I've uploaded the script files for the PS3 version here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nqr5a0

The archive password is the three digit number from the game's title.

I'm pretty certain they are the script files, because one of them looks like an index with chapter titles or choices.

Both seem to contain references to various sections of the script.

I have no idea how the larger file is encoded, but I tried several text encoding methods and can't see any Japanese text in it.

If anyone's curious about the differences between the Wii and PS3 versions, here's what I've noticed so far:

- PS3 image resolution is generally higher at 1280x720, Wii was 1024x680 or less.

- PS3 may have more video clips and images than the Wii version (I don't recall seeing some of these in the Wii files, but it's been a while)

I haven't checked if there are any other differences yet.

Hope this all helps.

If you need unpacked images, ios version have them in more convenient format (.jpg files). But it seems like it's low-quality (512x288).

I unpacked ios version ipa file, and it looks like it has similar script files (to.flo and to.sns) to the PS3 one. Although I have no idea of how this is compressed/encrypted.