MangaGamer 2018 Review & 2019 Licensing Survey

Zenophilious

• 2 weeks later...

I knew it's been too late considering that the survey was already finished, but still I want to answer this here. As for my vote, I decided to go with slightly more realistic one in that it's from the available company, and yet at the same time it's still an interesting one. So as for my wish I decided to chose Evenicle 2 (From Alice Soft), Da Capo 4 (From Circus), and Hapymaher FD (From Purple Software). I knew that Da Capo 4 is all age VN and still not released yet, but it's not like Mangagamer could try to license that latter seeing that Circus did have good partnership with Mangagamer ever since Mangagamer was stablished.

In the end, I didn't expect much from my wish here seeing that they probably need to process a lot of request, but if they could fulfill it then it's a bonus.

Edited by littleshogun

I have submitted Ouka Sabaki as my main choice. I'm not sure just how good that game actually is but it sure looks fun. Also ChronoBox and Amatsutsumi... I think? Or was it Apeiria. I don't remember aymore, it was a long time ago :notlikemiya:

And the most wanted new partner is definitely "Silky's Plus" as I doubt there's any chance in hell that MG can pair up with Makura or Nitroplus.

16 hours ago, littleshogun said:

I knew it's been too late considering that the survey was already finished, but still I want to answer this here. As for my vote, I decided to go with slightly more realistic one in that it's from the available company, and yet at the same time it's still an interesting one. So as for my wish I decided to chose Evenicle 2 (From Alice Soft), Da Capo 4 (From Circus), and Hapymaher FD (From Purple Software). I knew that Da Capo 4 is all age VN and still not released yet, sobut it's not like Mangagamer could try to license that latter seeing that Circus did have good partnership with Mangagamer ever since Mangagamer was stablished.

In the end, I didn't expect much from my wish here seeing that they sprobably need to process a lot of request, but if they could fulfill it then it's a bonus.

Hmm, is da capo really good enough to go for all ages? Second game was fairly generic, third seems to be more of the same . I liked the first though because i liked jun'ichi. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the result of Mangagamer's survey (Very late I know), and I agree with Evenicle 2 did get the first place seeing that it's the continuation on first Evenicle. Although to me it's still not neccesarily continuing the first part though, but at least I can agree that more game with battle system like Evenicle is nice to have. If anything, I just hope that it didn't need 10 Evenicle for Alicesoft to complete Evenicle franchise, even though it's impossible because Alicesoft already ready to milk it. Also while Evenicle 2 is interesting, I guess it might be impossible to see it translated at this year seeing that Arunaru was still busy at Rance X (Unless one of the secret project is Evenicle 2).

My rambling about Evenicle 2 aside, overall no much interesting result here seeing that we got two redundant title (Fate and RGD) even though both of the title are the good one. Another thing to note that some otome did manage to enter big 20, which mean that the otome fans started to get more active at the poll (Although the raise of female voter up to 6% may play a factor in this). In the end, I guess I can only say that I hope Mangagamer would keep churning out their interesting title in their future conventions later.

Edited by littleshogun

I like the constant reminder for JAST to work on Muramasa. :D

Also as always Mangagamer dropped hints for upcoming announcements in this blog post.

I spotted five: three, yuri, moege, gameplay and cat.

At least three of them sound like they are not for me. 

Yuri, moege, gameplay and cat aren't really concrete hints as far as I can see, describing broader categories (except for maybe cat) but has anybody any idea regarding three?

Edited by Formlose Gestalt

I wasn't able to vote in time so I can't really complain. The only games that appeal to me from the results are Sakura no Uta, Soukou Akki Muramasa, and perhaps TRianThology. Kiss for the Petals series is okay. I don't play any otome or gameplay games so nothing much here for me to get excited about.

54 minutes ago, Formlose Gestalt said:

I spotted five: three, yuri, moege, gameplay and cat.

Kara no Shoujo 3...? Everything else is so broad that it can't even be considered a hint as it depicts games announced every year. They should have also added otome and BL to the "hints" :wahaha:

Hope moege means another Moonstone title. Gameplay, probably some Alicesoft game maybe the remakes of the first Rance games. Catgirl, Sayori figures Sekai Project are useless and will let Mangagamer do Nekopara 4. Three is just a reference to how steam will purge them from the platform, we all know what Valve thinks of the number 3. As for an actual answer to three maybe Imopara 3? Think Kara no Shoujo would be a bit too early cosidering it isn't out yet in Japan. Yuri probably more A kiss for the petals. Btw these are just wild speculation and jokes.

Edited by bakauchuujin

I'm optimistic it might be Three Kingdoms related, but the reality is the odds are quite low.  Imopara 3 is a better bet, but the biggest argument against it is that Imouto Paradise 3 will eat into the sales of Imopara 2.  In other words, even though I consider Imopara 3 a no brainer that they're inevitably going to license - I'm much less sure they'll be announcing it this year.

10 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Imouto Paradise 3 will eat into the sales of Imopara 2.  In other words, even though I consider Imopara 3 a no brainer that they're inevitably going to license - I'm much less sure they'll be announcing it this year.

ImoPara 2 has been released one and a half years ago, what's to eat :makina:

Especially when we consider MG's usual speed which means that even if they announce ImoPara 3 this year, the chances are fairly high for it to come out in 2021.

I just hope that ImoPara 3 won't take the "Moonstone spot", I'd love to see Sakura no Mori Dreamers before 2025.

UPD: Ah, actually there's also a new Moonstone VN about catgirls so I guess chances for SnMD to be announced this year are, well, low.

Edited by novurdim

I'm just hoping cat isn't a hint to Moonstone's Nekopara clone. We really don't need more super short throwaway animal girl VNs.

The three clue is interesting. I'm sure it's just going to be Imouto Paradise 3 but it could also be the 3 remaining Rance titles(or just 03), Kara 3, Ixseal or Tsuma 3. Be cool if all their cons had a game with 3 as some form of theme but that's not happening.

The other clues are more assurance against the otome whiners then anything. Not specific enough for any given title, but we will get things.

23 hours ago, novurdim said:

ImoPara 2 has been released one and a half years ago, what's to eat :makina:

I don't think you realize just how popular the Imouto Paradise franchise is.  Imopara 1 released in 2014, and has been in their top 10 sellers ever since.  It was #1 for 2014 despite releasing in August, #4 in 2015, and #3 in 2016 (yes, it went up).  Then in 2017, Imouto Paradise 2 was released.  Imopara 2 ranked #7, and Imopara 1 dropped to #8.  In 2018, Imopara 2 was #3, but the original Imouto Paradise dropped to #10.

It's pretty clear:  Imouto Paradise 1 was buiilding steam in 2016.  Then in 2017, the sequel came out, and it started sinking downwards.  Sure, that's not definitive but it's pretty close.  Imopara 2 will probably burn up the sales charts for MangaGamer this year.  Even announcing Imopara 3's licensed might slow sales of Imopara 2 (and even the first game - which is still doing pretty well).

As for the hints - I note the catgirl game has three catgirls.  I'm not so sure that two of their hints would pertain to the same game, though.  That does significantly raise the odds said I-can't-believe-it's-not-Nekopara game is coming over, but we might be getting two catgirl games, or the "three" hint might refer to something else.

Edited by Nandemonai

3 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Sure, that's not definitive but it's pretty close. 

I'd rather call it circumstantial.

Besides, true, ImoPara is very popular but even if we believe that imopara would still be in top 5 on its fourth year, having two imopara games on 3-rd and 10-th or 7-th and 8-th places is surely more profitable and beneficial to MG than having a single ImoPara game on the, say, 5-th or 4-th place. Also, as you can see, ImoPara 2 was announced in the beginning of 2016 so its announcement not only didn't hurt ImoPara's sales but likely boosted them helping it to move up in the rankings for that year. ImoPara is not even a kind of series that should be hurt by the upcoming sequels to begin with...

Not to mention, that ImoPara 2 was announced exactly one and a half years after the first.

Edited by novurdim

• 1 month later...