Looking for VN centered around a tournament or competition

Lord Squiggles

Hello everyone long time lurker here but finally decided to create an account mostly for recommendations though. So I'm personally a huge fan of tournament arcs or competitions in any form of fiction really, with some of my favorite shows being pretty much just one big tournament arc as the plot (Needless to say I'm very excited about the upcoming Aokana translation) So right now I'm looking for any VN with a prominent tournament or competition in it. The story doesn't necessarily need to be centered around it but should at the very least play a major role in it. It should also be translated.

Some VN's that I have read or are reading that feature a prominent tournament include:

Koiken Otome, Majikoi S, and Under One Wing.

Some other VN's that don't necessarily have a tournament but at least feature some sort of competition between groups that I've read include:

Koichoco and Princess Evangile (Both of which feature a competition between the various groups and clubs) and Symphonic Rain(Music Competition)

Any recommendations similar to what I described would be very appreciated! Oh and Fate is a no-go since I'm planning on just watching the movies.

EDIT:

Forgot to add Little Busters (Baseball Game) and I guess Kono Oozora since despite not really being a competition it does feel pretty similar to what I want.

Edited by Lord Squiggles
Added additional info

Okay so here is a few that might wet your particular whistle

Fatal 12 is an amazing vn and it has a tournament at the center of the story

Princess Waltz is a pretty kinda decent vn with a large tournament in the center of the story

Also I kinda think you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing Fate/Stay Night 

It is touted as one of the best vns ever for a good reason.

Little Busters . Has a baseball match (which is an actual minigame). Also, the main cast typically battle each other in turn based battles, wielding random household items.

Muv-Luv . Extra has Lacrosse, a cooking tournament (the girls vying for a date from the protag), and a archery duel on one route. Unlimited throws the cast into a wartime setting (which has a bit of competition sometimes). And finally, there's Muv-Luv Alternative . Which ramps the drama upto 15 out of 10.....

Kono Oozora . Doesn't really have competition or a tournament. But it does have the cast racing against the clock to build a glider, and fly it through a rare weather phenomenon.

Sorcery Jokers . Quite a lot of battles between magic users.

9 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Little Busters . Has a baseball match (which is an actual minigame). Also, the main cast typically battle each other in turn based battles, wielding random household items.

Muv-Luv . Extra has Lacrosse, a cooking tournament (the girls vying for a date from the protag), and a archery duel on one route. Unlimited throws the cast into a wartime setting (which has a bit of competition sometimes). And finally, there's Muv-Luv Alternative . Which ramps the drama upto 15 out of 10.....

Kono Oozora . Doesn't really have competition or a tournament. But it does have the cast racing against the clock to build a glider, and fly it through a rare weather phenomenon.

Sorcery Jokers . Quite a lot of battles between magic users.

I have completely forgotten that Little Busters had a baseball game in it probably due to the fact that I just skipped it entirely after two routes, and as for Kono Oozora, it does have a similar atmosphere to some of the games that I've read but these two alongside Muv-Luv are stuff I've already read. I might check out Sorcery Jokers though since it has been on my backlog for a while now.

12 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Okay so here is a few that might wet your particular whistle

Fatal 12 is an amazing vn and it has a tournament at the center of the story

Princess Waltz is a pretty kinda decent vn with a large tournament in the center of the story

Also I kinda think you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing Fate/Stay Night 

It is touted as one of the best vns ever for a good reason.

Fatal Twelve was something I was reading a while back, but something about it just felt kind of rushed with me barely liking any of the cast excluding two of the main characters but I might get back to it after finishing Under One Wing. Princess Waltz looks nice but it seems to have some more RPG elements to it something that I'm not really in the mood for right now. As for the reason I'd rather not read fate is because I already know most of the story from the TV series and I don't really like going into a story when I already know most of the major plot points unless there's a huge difference, this was also the reason why I didn't watch the Aokana anime back then because I never gave up hope for a translation for it :).

12 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

From what I know about it, Aokana might fit. It's going to be translated pretty soon.

Actually very excited about it and one of the reasons I came back to reading VNs is because it's finally coming.

14 hours ago, AustriaVNFan said:

Not sure if that is the kind of tournament you are looking for but there are many (death) duels goind on in Komyu

Was planning on reading this way back, but I got burned out after reading Dies Irae, which is what actually made me take my most recent extended break from VNs.

9 hours ago, Clephas said:

Unfortunately I can't read Japanese, and while I understand some basic Chinese conversations, I can't read it though. But it seems learning Japanese seems to be the fastest way to getting most of what I want.

Edited by Lord Squiggles
Typo

On 3/7/2019 at 4:16 AM, Fred the Barber said:

Fate/Stay Night is probably too obvious, but the Grail War certainly seems like it should qualify.

How about Shadows of Pygmalion? The MC is a member of one of two warring factions.

Also maybe Koihime Musou? Doesn't get much more competitive than a multi-sided national war.

Not reallyt a fan of yuri or yaoi so i'm not too sure about pygmalion, same goes for a big harem VN as well which from what I've seen is something Koihime Musou is about.

As for the VN, I guess Yumina could do as the first half focused on the student council president election that was executed through the tournament that allow the candidates fighting with virtual weapon, although the second half plot did going to something else though and that the replay could be quite boring. Other than that, I don't know which one that was translated so I hope my recommendation will be helpfulvto you.

On 3/9/2019 at 10:39 AM, littleshogun said:

As for the VN, I guess Yumina could do as the first half focused on the student council president election that was executed through the tournament that allow the candidates fighting with virtual weapon, although the second half plot did going to something else though and that the replay could be quite boring. Other than that, I don't know which one that was translated so I hope my recommendation will be helpfulvto you.

Are the game play elements similar to Little Busters in that they are optional or are they like Aselia where the game play is pretty much mandatory and heavily integrated to the plot? Because I'm not really in the mood for anything with too much game play right now

5 minutes ago, Lord Squiggles said:

Are the game play elements similar to Little Busters in that they are optional or are they like Aselia where the game play is pretty much mandatory and heavily integrated to the plot? Because I'm not really in the mood for anything with too much game play right now

Unfortunately it's like Aselia because it's from same staffs, so if you want to take a break from the gameplay VN then Yumina here wouldn't be very suitable for you. In that case, then let me change my recommendation to Quartett in which it'll involve musical contest just like Symphonic Rain (Only more light than the latter). I hope that this could be right VN for you there.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:31 PM, Lord Squiggles said:

same goes for a big harem VN as well which from what I've seen is something Koihime Musou is about.

It does feature a lot of sexual content, but that is definitely not what it's entirely about. It has a good storyline, SRPG-ish gameplay, and a pretty good soundtrack to boot (love this one in particular)

Give it a try; don't diss it based on impressions (unless you don't like high sexual content VNs) :) 

On 3/12/2019 at 10:39 PM, phantomJS said:

It does feature a lot of sexual content, but that is definitely not what it's entirely about. It has a good storyline, SRPG-ish gameplay, and a pretty good soundtrack to boot (love this one in particular)

Give it a try; don't diss it based on impressions (unless you don't like high sexual content VNs) :) 

I feel like I worded that wrong but I'm just not in the mood for anything with too much gameplay in it but I'll try to check it out.