Looking for some tear jerkers to read

obakekoto

The Fruit of Grisaia certainly has some moments (has some of the darkest moments I've read in a VN, it was the first time I cried in a VN too).

* Eden . If you want a tragic love story.

* ef . Man did this punch me in the feels.....

And here's some I havn't read yet, but have heard about....

* Narcissu . About terminal illness.

* Subarashiki . Apparently one of the darkest and most messed up VNs ever.

* Enigma . Life and Death drama.

26 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

The Fruit of Grisaia certainly has some moments (has some of the darkest moments I've read in a VN, it was the first time I cried in a VN too).

I'm making my way through Subarashiki at the moment and it is pretty sad and kinda tragic in a way.

Huh, this kinda brings me back to when I finished reading my first VN, Little Busters. While I was active on the Anime Sharing forum, I'd asked one of the prominent VN enthusiasts there for recommendations after breaking into the medium through Key. And that's pretty much how I've come to discover Hoshizora no Memoria.

So yeah, give it a try. It does get very emotional in the true route, and it has more romance than most Key stories, too. :)

20 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

The House in Fata Morgana.

I second this. The House in Fata Morgana is probably the VN that has had the most emotional impact on me, and it's one of my favorites overall.

19 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Narcissu is touching at its core, but it's brought down by a localization that is mediocre at best. There are a ton of typos, misplaced words and so on, which heavily reduces the impact that the story is supposed to have.

Other than a few of the VNs that have already been mentioned (like SubaHibi, Grisaia and Swan Song), the one that affected me the most is probably Kana Little Sister (or Kana Okaeri, which is a newer version and the one I have read).

You could check out Yume Miru Kusuri as well. I wouldn't call it a tear-jerker per se, since it didn't actually make me cry, but it's pretty melancholic and managed to touch me on several occassions, so I think it's well worth reading.

Edited by Seraphim88

I find it difficult to get all emotional and worked up over a visual novel without investing a lot of time into it, and I'm not the type of person to just break out in tears over something sad.
granted I haven't read any of the higher rated shorter / kinetic novels such as Planetarian or Eden*, but I will eventually.

I recommend:

Grisaia no Kajitsu - This was my first true visual novel, and if it doesn't make you shed tears of happiness or sadness, then expect to shed tears of despair during certain routes.

Subarashiki Hibi  - I just finished it this month, and man was it a trip. It's ridiculously over the top with drama and has a ton of explicit content. That's saying very little though, to say more would otherwise be spoilers. The message is clear at the end, and it had me in tears.

I feel ya for key though, I read Clannad and Little Busters, and I've never cried so much in my entire life. Clannad had me fall apart like 10 times. Little Busters made me break down for 2 weeks

It's difficult to find media with the same effect. If you're interested in something outside of realm of vns, I recommend you play NieR:Automata, if you haven't already.

On 3/1/2019 at 5:40 AM, r0xm2n said:

I wouldn't really call subahibi a tearjerker per ay. It was depressing, shocking and dark at many points, but it wasn't written in a way that would make most people cry.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:32 AM, yelsha57 said:

Yeah, later on it got sad. It wasn't at 1st, but then it did get kinda sad. I think it was like a Nakige, but not quite on the level of Key or Grisaia , but it still felt emotional to me. 

Hmm.. I reread it just a month or so ago and i can't remember any particularly sad scenes 

In Fate/Stay Night, for me Saber's route was pretty sad and all the bad endings only added salt on the wounds. You can follow a walk-through if you want but it's much better without.

Then "Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo" from the same devs of G-senjou no Maou, there is an harem ending but it's not easy to get on the first try, all the other routes have a lot of drama. Akabei Soft 2 made other VNs with similar style too, but personally I played only these 2 from them.

There is a short VN called Juniper's Knot, same artist as Katawa Shoujo. Although it's not of Japanese origin, I'd still recommend it.

3 hours ago, yelsha57 said:

Oh, I also read  Root Double Before Crime After Days and most of  Himawari ,and they are also sad and depressing vns. 

Spoiler

I wanted to read root double, but i have this feeling it has a shitty true ending. I dunno why, but voiced protagonists is always a bad sign in my experience. (Air, Chaos Child, Eden) Well, i guess those are the only ones i've read with voiced protagonists. I don't mind shit happening in normal routes, but in the true end i like it when things are wrapped up nicely and things work out.