Jump to content

Another name left the scene - RIP minori


Recommended Posts

Rest in peace for them, and apparently their injury from Supipara was too large so much that even with the big breast heroines nukige like VNs were still not enough to cover the loss. No idea of how they'll continue Supipara later, but obviously it'll be hard to do it considering that usually they'd like to spent a lot of money on one VN. Although perhaps people already saw it coming with the rumor that minori need some rich man to fund the company, and that they've been like a baloon that was about to be burst (And now they'd burst).

In the end, it's a big loss that after sprite we loss another VN developer here. I just hope that their employee will be well, and that they could participate in VN making later if possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kemono flopped in sales? I just can't believe in that... Seriously... I saw ton of photos in Twitter who bought collector's edition for 40k yen... And... really their budget for last game was so high, that they just can't... Oh... I'm so sad.

That is really frustrating... such a big name just poof... and that's all... wow...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no! 

I really like Minori. I'm so so sorry to see this happen. EF was so good as a anime adaptation, and now I'm enjoying the vn. I'm also reading Eden on Steam. I can't wait to read Trinoline. I just love their artstyle, ops osts, and stories. I also love their genres, which are usually Nakiges. I hope Mangagamer can still release other vns that they currently have. It's just sad that another vn company is ceasing operations. :gasp:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not surprised, to be honest. Minori hasn't really produce anything worthy of their name for the past couple of years. Trinoline was disappointing and supipara... just eh. They more or less dropped everything they excelled at in favour of catering to larger audience, it was the final nail to their coffin. Just by following their portfolio, you can clearly see an unhealthy shift from drama heavy and story-focused games to more simplistic slice of life stories, that pander to as many anime fans as possible losing their identity in the process.

I'll definitely miss them, but that's how things go in this industry. The truth is the visual novel genre as we know it is facing a major crisis and with advent of mainstream PC gaming in Japan, there's less and less people interested in buying those over-priced, static story games, when they can easily buy good western games for much less that give far more in return for their investment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sucks to see this happen as I find Minori to be a decent company that I can rely on for releases, but with their high production values mixed in with losing Mikage and Yuu Kagami coinciding with an apparent drop in quality in their releases (I can't say for myself since I haven't read anything they've released past Yorino, just what I've heard), this was gonna happen eventually, especially with their sales getting worse over time. This is gonna make a few Minori titles appear on MG's survey, that's for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Rest in peace for them, and apparently their injury from Supipara was too large so much that even with the big breast heroines nukige like VNs were still not enough to cover the loss. No idea of how they'll continue Supipara later, but obviously it'll be hard to do it considering that usually they'd like to spent a lot of money on one VN. Although perhaps people already saw it coming with the rumor that minori need some rich man to fund the company, and that they've been like a baloon that was about to be burst (And now they'd burst).

In the end, it's a big loss that after sprite we loss another VN developer here. I just hope that their employee will be well, and that they could participate in VN making later if possible.

What exactly was or is the issue with Supipara? Is it just because it was an episodic release, or because it was bad? That last one I cannot fathom, because Supipara is my favorite Minori title. (Eden being 2nd and ef. 3rd)

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Supipara, actually it's a good VN. The problem is that like you said it's an episodic VN, and all age at that. The latter was causing minori think that lack of sex scenes might be the factor that make interest in Suppara is lacking, so they decided to have more sex scenes along with big breast heroines in their recent VNs.

Honestly while individual story is good, there's just too much plot that minori teased in Supipara there, so while the interest is surely there the lack of money was causing them delayed the development of Supipara, and not to mention that episodic release will surely kill the interest for the reader if there's no sequel for a long time. Or to put it precisely minori here was basically took a big gamble when they developed Supipara by making it all age and episodic release, and they probably threw a lot of money just to develop the first two chapters. I knew that Supipara is their passion project there, but it's also important that they gathered enough money to make it and more importantly not making it episodic here.

In the end what's done is done here, and let's move forward from this.

Edited by littleshogun
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, littleshogun said:

As for Supipara, actually it's a good VN. The problem is that like you said it's an episodic VN, and all age at that. The latter was causing minori think that lack of sex scenes might be the factor that make interest in Suppara is lacking, so they decided to have more sex scenes along with big breast heroines in their recent VNs. Honestly while individual story is good, there's just too much plot that minori teased in Supipara there, so while the interest is surely there the lack of money was causing them delayed the development of Supipara, and not to mention that episodic release will surely kill the interest for the reader if there's no sequel for a long time. Or to put it precisely minori here was basically took a big gamble when they developed Supipara by making it all age and episodic release, and they probably threw a lot of money just to develop the first two chapters. I knew that Supipara is their passion project there, but it's also important that they gathered enough money to make it and more importantly not making it episodic here. What's done is done here, and let's move forward from this.

Thanks for the clarification! I can see how the episodic release and big plot can both negatively impact a game.
On a side note, (which is probably very ironic in this community) the fact that they thought that the lack of sex scenes helped in the downfall really saddens me. The idea that "If there's no sex, it's not good" is so present in peoples minds makes me lose some faith in humanity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for no sex thing, I'd just read it from somewhere so it might be not accurate here. But seeing that recent minori VN like to have a lot of sex scenes and big breast heroines, it seems to be true. I knew that their all age strategy was probably to emulate Key with their Clannad, but in the end it's still fail because there's a lot of difference between Key and minori there (ie minori already play a big gamble there once they go with all age only release).

Edited by littleshogun
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how much this can be traced to business strategy misfit and how much to the general situation of VN market.

43 minutes ago, Noumi Kudryavka said:

"If there's no sex, it's not good" is so present in peoples minds makes me lose some faith in humanity.

There are thousands of reasons to mistrust humanity but don't worry this is not the case this time. Minori as a company is like Don Quixote who pursue his idea that is irrational in the viewpoint of business (blocking oversea visit is a prime example and other one, making this op).

Whether they are right or wrong is not important anymore because they don't need to make the decision ever again. Personally I think it is for the better they liquidate for two reasons. First, history would forever view them in good image without them desperately struggle to survive. Second, this would send a strong message to all other VN company.

---

On a personal level, I just feel the hollowness of existence. We talk about right and wrong, justice and evil but in the end the only objective measure of worth is money.

Edited by zxdvas
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Japanese version of Supipara the complete VN, or are there episodes missing that will never see the light of day now? It was released over 7 years ago (2011-12-29) according to VNDb, but it's marked as "trial" rather than "complete" so I'm not really sure what the situation is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

Is the Japanese version of Supipara the complete VN, or are there episodes missing that will never see the light of day now? It was released over 7 years ago (2011-12-29) according to VNDb, but it's marked as "trial" rather than "complete" so I'm not really sure what the situation is.

Only 2 of the planned 5 episodes were released. Mangagamer hosted a pretty weird crowdfunding campaign (which definitely didn't look like total scam :makina:) to back the development of the further episodes, but it was never finished. Basically, all sales of ef, eden and the first chapter of Supipara should've been used for the development and translation of the later episodes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Only 2 of the planned 5 episodes were released.

Are the episodes somewhat standalone or does episode 2 end with a cliffhanger or something? Trying to figure out if the VN's worth looking into at some point or if I should just treat it like it doesn't exist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...