Another name left the scene - RIP minori

Satsuki

One of my favorite developer and VN (eden*)... maybe it's time to start to read less VN and eventually stop. I haven't really hooked by recent releases and moved to mobage instead on my free time.

Edited by Dizzy

Well, at least looks like Trinoline isn't in any danger.

Spoiler

It was a bit worrying to see the weird new "awaiting release materials from developer" status. Though considering that Damekoi currently has the same project status, I believe it is probably just MG's new placeholder for when the game is ready but they don't want to release it yet because they have that "one major game in a month" philosophy.

13 hours ago, novurdim said:

Well, at least looks like Trinoline isn't in any danger.

Reveal hidden contents

It was a bit worrying to see the weird new "awaiting release materials from developer" status. Though considering that Damekoi currently has the same project status, I believe it is probably just MG's new placeholder for when the game is ready but they don't want to release it yet because they have that "one major game in a month" philosophy.

Yep, MG is definitely spacing out releases.

Thats very unfortunate but understandable. They started with classics like wind - a breath of heart that brought us technically one of the first FanTLs and started the whole shenanigans for this side of the planet. Their downfall started when they started blocking foreigners, that even gave them a bad image on the big stage because even Kotaku and other major outlet took the piss out of them with shit like minorigate and other meme shit. As for their games I personally only played Supipara, Eden and half of Trinoline, but i can tell that they suffered because they had to keep their artistic standards on an alltime high. The art in their games never disappointed and even Makoto Shinkai made great animations for them, which they couldn't match themselves. Just look at efs intro.. But this perfectly shows that good looks only don't make a good game. Also, their characters always always looked the same after a certain point, I know they keep using the same artists but if they cannot draw a little more variably the people are going to notice that all you make are rehashes of earlier titles with the same formulaic plot progression and forced nakige-elements.

Its a shame.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:23 AM, Thunderbro said:

Eden* is the only visual novel of theirs that I read (but I really enjoyed it), so it's sad to see that they are shutting down. 

Ef is pretty decent, and a nakige, one of my favourite genres. So I can only recommend it.

Edited by Okarin

Speaking about minori, Mangagamer did write about this at their blog and saying that minori was still not bankrupted yet. Although it's true though that they ceased the operations, so we wouldn't know what will happen to minori in the future. Here's the blogpost from Mangagamer below if you want to read it.

The Closure of Minori

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 3:35 PM, Seraphim88 said:

Are the episodes somewhat standalone or does episode 2 end with a cliffhanger or something? Trying to figure out if the VN's worth looking into at some point or if I should just treat it like it doesn't exist.

Eeeh... Yes and no.

I played Supipara and I can say that there is a bigger plot behind the scenes, which we didn't get the chance to see it complete but that's not very explored in Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 anyway. (We see only hints and a brief dialogue at the end of each episode about it. I suppose that minori would invest in this plot more at later episodes.)

Vol. 1 Covers Sakura route.

Vol. 2 Covers Amano route.

So you can play these as an standalone Charage just fine, they are fun by itself if you like games like this. But for the true Nakige experience that Supipara was supposed to be, sadly we needed all the 5 Episodes.

Edited by nekofuwafuwa