NieR Replicant Translation

SabakiRe

Now, I know this isn't a visual novel, so please forgive me if it's not allowed here... but I'm going to work on translating this game, or rather fansubbing it. The process seems easy enough and the previous translator left a set of instructions, doesn't seem too difficult... as you may know, first NieR game was butchered in the West due to Square Enix being Square Enix. It had a different protagonist + butchered story-lines and appeal points. The patch that "translates" Replicant, the closest to "true" version, basically takes Gestalt's text and adds it to Replicant. So you can guess that it doesn't really follow what the characters say quite often. I will be changing that but because I am not fluent in Japanese, it might be problematic. 

If anyone is fluent and wants to help, let me know... I don't really have any budget, but I'l buy you some game as a compliment, if it all works out. I have both Japanese and English version, the tools, just need someone who knows Japanese to correct all differences and butchering. Not just the ones I will notice. I'd send you the text to work on, so no need to work with files.

I'm planning to make this a real fansub, add honorifics and uncensored text to make it the best version it can be.

P.S. If translating a usual game is not allowed here, please remove my topic.

Edited by SabakiRe

How was it butchered and what do you mean by different appeal points? Isn't Gestalt the JP Xbox version of the game with a mostly same story only difference being some character relations? Why add honorifics to an English translation? If you aren't fluent in Japanese, why are you even trying to make a translation? I have so many questions...

11 hours ago, solidbatman said:

How was it butchered and what do you mean by different appeal points? Isn't Gestalt the JP Xbox version of the game with a mostly same story only difference being some character relations? Why add honorifics to an English translation? If you aren't fluent in Japanese, why are you even trying to make a translation? I have so many questions...

Choose your tone if you want your questions answered. I will not read your messages or reply again.

11 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Weird. Thought it was the same, just with a father protagonist instead of a brother. 

It's not the same and the Gestalt is a mistake.

5 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

So whats different besides the father/brother dynamic?

I do not think you're interested in the topic, if this is even a question.

Anyone who understands the issue, message me and I'll be glad to have you... There's someone else working with me, my dear acquaintance, but they're ill now so we're not making much progress. Next month is the date...

P.S. I won't be checking the topic as it seem to have attracted a wrong audience. Once again, PM...

Edited by SabakiRe

1 minute ago, SabakiRe said:

I do not think you're interested in the topic, if this is even a question.

Anyone who understands the issue, message me and I'll be glad to have you... There's someone else working with me, my dear acquaintance, but they're ill now so we're not making much progress. Next month is the date...

P.S. I won't be checking the topic as it seem to have attracted a wrong audience. Once again, PM...

Honestly, i don't think you have the first clue about what you're talking about. Either you've heard there is a difference and gunning for it, or you simply just think there is. If you can't even start to explain then it's absolutely not worthwhile continuing talking to you, as like i've said, you probably have no clue.

Edited by Stormwolf

What is the difference then? I really have never heard of the translation being butchered or Gestalt being incorrect. If you don't know Japanese how are you aware of the butchering? 

29 minutes ago, SabakiRe said:

Choose your tone if you want your questions answered. I will not read your messages or reply again.

You are going to find it extremely difficult to find anyone willing to work with you if you have that attitude towards people asking questions. I chose my tone, it was interrogative because I have questions that I'd like answered since I am a huge fan of Yoko Taro's work and was completely unaware as to any sort of issues surrounding Gestalt and the English release. 

Gestalt and Replicant essentially differ mostly based on the relationship between the protagonist and Yona.  The basic flow of the story is no different, though many of the lines are.  I guess the biggest difference for me was that if you played Replicant you got a pretty boy instead of an ugly old man for a protagonist.  The difference between an older brother and a father, essentially.  That company has weird ideas sometimes... but then, if you've played any of the Drakengard or Nier games, you already know that.

• 10 months later...

YES! Please do that!

For those asking. Do I really need to explain the differences between a father-daughter and a brother-sister relationship?

Yoko's vision was to have a brother as the main character. Square Enix demanded a father for the western audiences. It was never his vision to have that guy. So even if you don't care about the differences, this is about restoring the artist's original vision.

EDIT: I'd really like to help, but unfortunately I don't speak Japanese...

Edited by Ahytys