Kara No Shoujo or Rewrite?

PrincessOfFinch

36 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Translation quality is a very subjective thing on this forum. Some are willing to let the whole world burn for some grammar mistakes and others are fine with machine translations. And then people such as me who is fine as long as it's understandable and not full of the translators "improvisations" where the translator writes in stuff that's never in the visual novel in the first place, or rewritten stuff for whatever the hell reason.

Anyway, try and see. You might also like it, i certainly did.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I usually don't mind if there's some mistakes and it's not full of improvisations so I'm still going to give it a shot :)

I will probably do that as well, because I'm sick of waiting for Rewrite+. I figured the fan translation of the original might be truly disastrous, since the topic was brought up, but maybe I have lower standards and will find it tolerable. I mean, I managed to enjoy Hoshimemo quite a bit despite the enormous amount of typos, untranslated text and whatnot.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:45 PM, Seraphim88 said:

Are Amaterasu generally bad at translating? I know they did Cross Channel too, and I’ve heard that it’s supposed to be pretty awful as well.

I’ve been planning to read Sekien no Inganock (also done by Amaterasu) sometime in the near future, but I’m starting to worry now that maybe it’s another bad translation.

They're generally bad. Ixrec doesn't really know Japanese that well, and is known to mistranslate a lot, and he and his editors have poor handles on grammar, leading to stilted and awkward translations that lose meaning and nuance from the original text.

23 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Translation quality is a very subjective thing on this forum.

Translation quality is only subjective at high levels, where it comes down to specific design choices, but discussions on translation quality rarely reach that level. What's very subjective on this forum is translation quality standards.

23 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

And then people such as me who is fine as long as it's understandable and not full of the translators "improvisations" where the translator writes in stuff that's never in the visual novel in the first place, or rewritten stuff for whatever the hell reason.

I do hope you realize the irony of saying this in defense of someone who's known to get a lot of stuff wrong in his translations.

15 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

But typos and grammatical errors are found in most visual novels, even in the official releases.

Just because it's commonplace doesn't make it acceptable.

34 minutes ago, McDerpingheimer III said:

They're generally bad. Ixrec doesn't really know Japanese that well, and is known to mistranslate a lot, and he and his editors have poor handles on grammar, leading to stilted and awkward translations that lose meaning and nuance from the original text.

Translation quality is only subjective at high levels, where it comes down to specific design choices, but discussions on translation quality rarely reach that level. What's very subjective on this forum is translation quality standards.

I do hope you realize the irony of saying this in defense of someone who's known to get a lot of stuff wrong in his translations.

Just because it's commonplace doesn't make it acceptable.

But what does he get wrong? Does it change the story, or is the same thing explained in a slightly different manner? 

But honestly, everyone translates however they like. You hear the same phrases again and again in diffrrent vn's and see them translated differently all the time. 

Im pretty damn sure things mostly boils down to reputation and how well liked a translator or group is. Relentless against unknowns and disliked translators (regardless of actual quality), forgiving towards well liked and ones active in the community. Well, this is just human nature though, pathetic as it is.

Trolling groups who intentionally mistranslate things to piss people off and officials like sakuragame are the only ones i scorn so far.