About Himawari

AustriaVNFan

Last weekend I finally finished Himawari. This game leaves you with quite a cliffhanger.

So I was wondering: is Himawari Aqua After the continuation of the story (because it is only labeled as fandisc on VNDB)? And if yes, will the story come to an end there?

On a sidenote: This was one of the weirdest VNs I have read so far, which is mainly because of the after stories. Reason is that these after stories had so much plot in them that I wondered why it wasn't the main story (where relatively few things happened actually). But it was also very nice to see how the after stories could get me completely hooked without any voice acting and pretty simple graphics.

I don't know any details about the story, since I haven't read it myself due to the language barrier, but it's supposed to be a direct sequel to Aqua's route from the original game. Here's how a review I found sums it up (without any specific spoilers):

Spoiler

"Despite GO confessing in the afterword that he’d love to make a game where Aqua and Youichi get it on while she’s in her wedding dress and it’s all romantic and you can choose whether to ejaculate inside or outside (a classic eroge choice…), this is… well, not that kinda VN. I mean, you read the original Himawari, you know what to expect. GO gives zero fucks, and that’s why we love him.

Kidding aside, I do genuinely enjoy how he keeps his stories more human, because a perfect happy end… well, it might happen in real life, but real life can also be a bitch very often. Aqua After deals with this and many other things, to the point where the original ending in Aqua’s route will feel like a distant dream once the credits start rolling. Anxiety and uncertainty about one’s future, crushing loneliness, being an “adult”, growing up, shouldering responsibility. Knowing that pursuing your dreams might not always lead to an ideal outcome for everyone; in fact, pursuing your dreams might destroy someone else’s. Not everything will be happiness and sunshine, but that’s just how things are, and we learn to roll with the punches. Himawari forces no idealized “happily ever after married life” scenario on you, not everyone gets their wishes, and not everything goes well. It is imperfect, and at times frustrating, but endlessly human at its core. GO once again uses a relatively simple, but nonetheless poignant writing style to encapsulate all this.

And just when you thought you’d seen everything, when you thought things couldn’t get worse, he punches you in the gut one final time for good measure. Aqua After’s climactic scene feels a bit like that."

I would very much like to read it for myself to find out what actually happens, but I sincerely doubt it'll ever be translated (unless it's by a fan) and I don't know if learning Japanese is a wall I'll ever be able to climb.

Edited by Seraphim88

5 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Why the fuck would i want real life, or what i'd consider a shitty situation in real life in my visual novels? Visual novel reading is likely more often than not, simple escapism.

Yeah, but not always. The fact that such VNs as Muv Luv Alternative, Umineko and Fata Morgana are so highly rated on VNDB suggests that many VN readers are looking for something more than escapism in them. Or that they are masochists or something.

To OP: here is the full fersion of the review quoted by Seraphim88 if you are interested.

Having read Himawari and Himawari Aqua After, I will say that it is a continuation from Aqua's end in Himawari. It deals with the aftermath of Aqua's route as well as various issues their current relationship has. It's easily the best FD I've ever read as it doesn't feel like a complete waste of time (aka just there to add more routes and milk the series). However, it most likely will never be translated as Himawari didn't do well in sales. Unless somebody decides to most likely poorly fan translate it, I wouldn't hold much hope.

42 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Having read Himawari and Himawari Aqua After, I will say that it is a continuation from Aqua's end in Himawari. It deals with the aftermath of Aqua's route as well as various issues their current relationship is. It's easily the best FD I've ever read as it doesn't feel like a complete waste of time (aka just there to add more routes and milk the series). However, it most likely will never be translated as Himawari didn't do well in sales. Unless somebody decides to most likely poorly fan translate it, I wouldn't hold much hope.

Please no. I don't want EOPs calling Himawari FD shit just because they can't understand its depth.

10 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

Having read Himawari and Himawari Aqua After, I will say that it is a continuation from Aqua's end in Himawari. It deals with the aftermath of Aqua's route as well as various issues their current relationship has. It's easily the best FD I've ever read as it doesn't feel like a complete waste of time (aka just there to add more routes and milk the series). However, it most likely will never be translated as Himawari didn't do well in sales. Unless somebody decides to most likely poorly fan translate it, I wouldn't hold much hope.

No, I don't have hope for that to happen, but I am preparing to read my first untranslated VN and thought this could likely be a good candidate. Judging from the voice acting in Himawari it seemed like the difficulty should be managable if the writing is not totally different from the main game

• 3 months later...

So which is the "True Ending"? Is it:

Aries (True?) Ending where she

Spoiler

gets infected by the Lunar Virus by Youichi and pretends to turn into Aoi only to be revealed that she didn't actually turn into Aoi but only got her memories? This is a followup to the "Hinata Aoi" ending, it can be unlocked when you have pretty much done everything else in the game.

Asuka Ending where she

Spoiler

has a daughter with Youichi named "Himawari" and kind of end with a cliffhanger where Cosmos shows up in 2055 and meets with Himawari and it's revealed that she is infected with the virus (the reason why is explained in "Another Side") and "her" memories have "returned" and the same will eventually happen to Himawari.

Or is it Aqua's Ending where she

Spoiler

and Youichi goes to Hawaii or whatever and there's a whole (untranslated) Fandisc dedicated to the expansion of that ending?

On 2/18/2019 at 12:03 PM, AustriaVNFan said:

Last weekend I finally finished Himawari. This game leaves you with quite a cliffhanger.

It could be much much worse, see ISLAND True End.

Edited by Nier

Aqua's ending is considered canon, but I've never seen it referred to as that from an official source (if anyone has one, please post it here). There's no "One True End" tag on VNDb either.

1 hour ago, Nier said:

It could be much much worse, see ISLAND True End.

Ugh... don't remind me. I loved that VN, but the ending was immensely unsatisfying. I hope they make a continuation at some point, so I can get rid of this bitter taste in my mouth.