VN's with strong worldbuilding and story

Larxe1

Noticed I keep asking for recommendations and now my backlog is filled to the brim. Well more choices is good anyway.

I like fantasy worlds that aren't completely cliche. It doesn't have to be fantasy as long as that fictional setting is well developed. It's better if the story is dark but not an utsuge since I read novels to make myself fulfilled and happy, and not want to slit my wrist.

Examples of VN's like this is

Muv Luv (Best example)

Rose Guns Days

Type-moon settings

Sorceress Alive

Silverio series (seriously recommend it)

Vermilion Bind of Blood

Paradise Lost

Evolimit

Bullet Butlers

Ayakashibito

Chrono Belt

Tokyo Babel

Ikusa Megami Zero

Devils Devel Concept

Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori

Komorebi no Nostalgica

Yurikago Yori Tenshi Made

Some of these are definitely more cliched than others.  Some might be a bit more cliched than you would like, but I thought they're all fairly well developed:

Ever 17.  Root Double.  Fruit of Grisaia.  I imagine Dies Irae probable qualifies (but I haven't gotten past the prologue).  I expect that I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream is pretty good (but I haven't played it yet).  Littlewitch Romanesque.  Eien no Aselia.  Demonbane.  Gahkthun.  Steins;Gate.  Dengeki Stryker.  Tokyo Babel.  Shadows of Pygmalion.  Utawarerumono.  999/VLR.  And finally (yes I'm serious) Funbag Fantasy.

Well, none of them come even close to Muv Luv, but here are a few VNs where I personally liked how the worldbuilding was done:

Rewrite. Pretty interesting science-fantasy + interesting political situation. I personally felt like the worldbuilding in this one was pretty strong, and it was the main reason why I liked this VN (though note that it was my first VN ever, so I may be remembering things better than they actually were).

Tokyo Babel. Chuunige set in a multiverse based on Christian and Judaic mythology. Not really as extensive as the worldbuilding in MLA, from what I remember, but still pretty interesting.

Eien no Aselia. Here I found the worldbuilding in this one a bit polarizing. It's pretty extensive, and the authors tried to add some depth to it, but I also felt like some important details weren't developed very well, so it never broke my suspension of disbelief. It's still pretty cool overall.

38 minutes ago, AustriaVNFan said:

Are you talking about these two?

Silverio Vendetta

and

Silverio Trinity

If yes, is the series finished with these two or is there more to come?

Yes, those are the ones that I'm talking about.  As of yet, there are no plans announced for a new Silverio game, but I don't doubt they'll reuse the setting at some point, considering how much effort they went through to build it up and the surprise success of Trinity (it surpassed Vendetta in initial sales).  However, Trinity does tie off the loose ends from Vendetta, so in that sense, it can be considered to be 'complete'.

As for the recommendation, I would seconded Eien no Aselia here along with Seinarukana. If you'd interested with something more mundane, then perhaps you can try Maitetsu as well because it developed the setting that surround the MC well enough (Keep in mind though that there's loli). For the last recommendation, I can suggest you to try Soukoku no Arterial here seeing that it did have their own world setting as well. I hope that my recommendations can be helpful to you.

Bradyon Veda - Bradyon Veda's world setting is seriously complex and interesting... but it has the disadvantage of being so complex that most people won't be able to read it.

Tiny Dungeon - A series of five games written by the (deceased) original writer of Shuffle (please don't misconstrue the English version with the actual game, lol) this one has a pretty interesting setting.  It has a very David Eddings-esque atmosphere and humor.

Tokyo Necro - I'm not really a zombie person, but even I could tell that a huge amount of love went into this science fantasy futuristic setting...

Ruitomo; Comyu; Hello, Lady - These games share a common world/setting designed by Hino Wataru and occur roughly about the same period of time (about thirty years altogether based on hints in the text).

Satsukoi; Kanojo wa tenshi de Imouto de - These share the same surprisingly dark fantasy setting and are in a direct line from one to the next.

Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide - It's Shumon Yuu... that says everything that needs to be said, really.

Yami to Hikari no Sanctuary - Very well-developed setting that flowers the more you read the paths...

Baldr Sky (zero and Skydive)- The Baldr universe in general is beautifully complex, but the two different settings presented in the two Sky series are unbelievably well-developed and fascinating to read about.

Reminiscence - If you like social experiments, Reminiscence's twin arcologies and their interactions are worth reading just for that.

Re:Birth Colony - Similar to Reminiscence, this game is based in a future where humanity lives in arcologies.  It shares a generalized world setting with Fake Azure Arcology, but the society in this one is truly fascinating for its own sake.

Akatsuki no Goei - Extremely dystopian future Japan where the social break between the wealthy and the average person is so great that they are almost not even the same species.

Venus Blood Hypno - Dark world where souls are turned into weapons that fuel magic in battle.