What is your favorite type of VN heroine, and why?

Katatsumuri

Someone might've already done a thread like this, but anyway:

As you know, stories in VNs (due to personal experience, I mean bishoujo games) are usually character-driven, and the routes (when there are different ones) are very often built around a specific heroine. Therefore, their characterization is usually the focus point of their route. You are probably already familiar with most of the different types of archetypes that exist. I'm talking about:

The childhood friend and all it's variations

The different Tsunderes

The loli characters

The Imouto-style characters (Blood or non-blood related doesn't matter)

And of course, many more. 

But my question is basically: Which of all these different archetypes Is YOUR personal favorite, and why? Examples are recommended, but not strictly necessary.

Thank you in advance.

My favorites tend to be the ones I would never actually go for in real life.

Kuudere (or perhaps slightly tsundere) characters:

Riho from Deardrops

Aselia from Eien no Aselia (kind of)

Yuela from Kamidori Alchemy Meister

Sayaka Ichimonji from Dengeki Stryker

Saber from Fate/Stay Night

I'm a huge sucker for the childhood friend; they're often one of the first routes I go for in VNs:

Natsumi Hinata from Sharin no Kuni

Kanade from Deardrops

Then there are a couple of wildcards that don't quite fit into the above two categories:

Haru Usami from G-Senjou no Maou

Matsuri from Family Project

Asuho from Hoshizora no Memoria

Kirari from Kira Kira

On second though, some of those last lot are the heroines that are innocent and incredibly hard working, with something not-quite-right going on behind the scenes that you can't put your finger one. They have some sort of hidden sadness that cries out to be resolved, I guess.

Depends. my first option would be yanderes. Also, I'm not picky with appearance, so as long as I find the person cute it's ok. Strictly saying, they make for great servants, even if you need to act like the only thing in your mind is them. They make for great pawns as well, and are easily controllable. They're also one of the few people that will obey reckless orders like "die for me". That makes them my favorite type of heroine. Considering the fact that I'm a hikkikomori (I work, but it's at home) and I don't enter social contact with anyone besides the supermarket delivery guy, she would have no reason to go crazy and kill those close to me, mostly because there are no people like that.

EDIT:I  have a special dislike for Tsunderes. They are aggressive for little to no reason at all, which just makes me want to retaliate 10x times what they did. So if they hit me, I'd feel a sudden urge to kill that person.

This is personal though and I do understand why other people like them.

Otherwise, I want someone with either talent or a position high enough to keep up with me and my ideas. The thing I hate the most are idiots, and I wouldn't be able to accept a romantic interest that wasn't either academically equal to me(or if possible, superior) or someone who I could thoroughly use to do what I want.

My favorite heroine gotta be Akane from Rewrite. She's smart, she has a high position, and I'd love to

bring forth gaia's salvation with her and wipe out mankind

She also has the right looks and is refined enough when she wants to be.

3lp8P3q.jpg

Edited by Kaguya

I would have to say that my favorites would be the ones that were just met inside the story, and seem to have some comedic elements as well.

Examples of this would be Chihaya (Rewrite), Miku (Mirai no Kimi to, Subete no Uta ni), or Yumemi (Planetarian)

I like these characters mostly because I like to see a relationship from beginning to end.  It seems more fulfilling this way.

Well i don't particularly hate any type of heroine but my preferences (from favorite to least favorite) in general are:

Childhood friend (Osananajimi) Heroine

(I particularely like when there's unrequinted love by the childhood friend torwards the protagonist that the protagonist later realises and they themselves develop feelings torwards said friend. I think it's mainly because most people can relate to them and symphatize with them and overall their routes are touching with the fullfillment feeling in the end and such.)

Loli Heroine

(Because lolis)

Imouto Heroine

(Wether it be blood or non blood related, just the type of character that refers to the protagonist as "onii-chan" and things of the sort)

Shy Heroine

(If you even need to ask why it's just because it's cute, does there really need to be another reason?)

Kouhai Heroine

(I find it cute that there's a heroine that's not very into the protagonist as they are 1/2 years younger but the protagonist has feelings of protection torwards them)

Kuudere Heroine

(The whole expressionless character thing is somewhat cute)

Tsundere Heroine

(I'm very ambiguous with tsunderes, it really depends how they are depicted, i dislike clichéd tsunderes that can only say things like "I-i-it's not like i like you

baka" if however they show their dere side more often especially around the protagonist then i will probably like them)

In the end for me the heroines i like always have traits like shyness, girlyness, tsunness or just cute traits.

I'm a sucker for cute things, i can't help it.

Those are just my personal likes.

The ones that don't really set a spark within me are:

Onee-san Heroine

(I'm sorry i'm just an imouto person. But even characters that act older and mature don't interest me much.)

Oujou-sama Heroine

(Most rich girls just annoy me to some degree with their superiority complexes)

Sempai Heroine

(No matter how they are depicted, wether they're airheads or really smart, i just don't like sempais)

Without going into too much detail, I do have a soft spot for osananajimi, shy, and oddball heroines. It's not bordering on any sort of complex, but I do tend to gravitate to those sort of routes first. They often can be a mixed bag in terms of quality because of all the common cliches associated with those archtypes, though.

I'm largely fine with all archtypes though, as long as it's done in a fresh way, subverts expectations, or just simply implemented well.

Interaction with protag matters much more than archetype for me, and pretty much every archetype can be played good, but if I'd have to choose, I'd go with Yamato Nadeshiko type. Esp. ones which combine strength, strictness and reservedness with feminine and cute sides.

Best example Uesugi Kenshin (http://vndb.org/c2859) from Sengoku Rance. In her shy-mode she is irresistibly cute.

Also, Mitsurugi Meya (MLU/MLA), Kan'u Unchou (Koihime Musou).

Other two archetypes worth mentioning are "Arrogant Ojousama" and "Modern Tsundere", because most of the time I cannot tolerate their presence in novel and just ctrl through their lines, but they also can be played right (for example, Mare isn't that bad even tho she's abusive and tsun). If protag is not some hetare shit and actually got balls, arrogant heroines become good comedy relief characters, like Yuuji x Yumiko in Grisaia.

Appearances are much easier to rank: kemonomimi; twintails; meido uniforms; slim, petite body; gothic/lolita fashion suits. Kuroneko in her nekomimi mode is best example.

And out of categories, just ranking heroines alone: Saya and Makina, two best eroge girls ever.

I seem to enjoy osananajimi heroins the most. I'm not really sure way it is, but there is something that appeals to me. Closely following would be loli, and then imouto next

I think (i may be wrong) a lot of people sympathize with Osananajimi due to the fact that most posess an unrequinted love for the protagonist that in most stances has lasted for a while (years even) and seeing their efforts pay off and them ending up with the person they love after all that time is something most people just couldn't hate. That's how i feel at least.

I think (i may be wrong) a lot of people sympathize with Osananajimi due to the fact that most posess an unrequinted love for the protagonist that in most stances has lasted for a while (years even) and seeing their efforts pay off and them ending up with the person they love after all that time is something most people just couldn't hate. That's how i feel at least.

You're not wrong, since that probably describes how I feel about it pretty well. And (since I forgot to set a good example and start with my own preferences) I put my favorite lineup as:

Osananajimi 

Mostly because of the reasons mentioned by Nosebleed above. If there is one theme I like, it's unrequited love and it being requited  

Genki girl

If coupled with a serious or calm protagonist and done right, it can lead to a lot of interesting storytelling. A dark side or serious personality flaw is optional, but might give the character extra depth. A good example would be Miyamura Miyako from Ef

Strong-willed Heroines

The kind of heroine that would, in a medieval setting, be one of the fighters.  Serious, yet can also be nice and caring in non-serious situations. This is a character type that I like best if it is NOT played as just another Modern Tsundere or emotionless girl (maybe this is just a variation of the Classical Tsundere). A well known example would be Saber from Fate/stay night

The Modern Tsundere

A character type that is quite easy to screw up and just make cliche. Nonetheless, a relatively sedate modern tsundere mellowing and becoming dere is just way too adorable to not like. Variations and subvertions, are always interesting too.

And lastly, my least favorite character type is probably the blood-related imouto

mostly because I'm not quite home with the concept, and instead just thinks about biological issues that might arise

Mysterious girls. (Nazojo?) The less they want me to know about them, the more interested I become. 

Take a character like Suwa Setsuna &, as a comparison, Asuho Minahoshi, both from "Hoshizora no Memoria". 

Setsuna on first impression is odd, rude, secretive & cold.   ^_^

5688-1495210415.jpg

Meanwhile, Asuho is (in my opinion, obnoxiously) cheerful, friendly, outgoing & has an obvious crush on thee from the start.  -_- zzz.

Asuho_Minahoshi.jpg

It's so much better when the game keeps them as hidden as possible throughout the game, too. (Kagari & Yume) 

And, of course, there's the alien heroin sub-catagory, which includes my fav gal of all, Nagonago. 

hqdefault.jpg

My favorite type is Kuutsundere/classic tsundere, probably. Tsugumi from Ever17 is my go-to example for this kind of development.

Otherwise, I like Kuuderes (hnng Hoshimemo!Isuzu). Modern tsunderes hold significantly less appeal to me, and I prefer heroines to not get physical for tsun moments since that is honestly just lame (and I would hit the girl back).

Kuuderes are cute because of the moeness of shyness, plus they are generally introverted and thus match my irl personality. Tsunderes similarly have a barrier of sorts to get over, which makes things interesting.

I also like osananajimis a lot, especially forgotten childhood friends. Prolly partly caused by my own childhood memories, but also has the "revelation" factor of realizing the earlier connection.

I typically go for the tsundere characters first in a visual novel because when they show their "dere" I go insane (HNNNNGGGGG!!).  Good examples would be Yuela from Kamidori Alchemy Meister, and Lucia from Rewrite.  But there are occasions where I don't think the tsundere character is very good and will go for the kuudere or deredere in that order.  I have a huge dislike for characters that are extremely energetic and loud 90% of the time (which applies to many deredere...) but there is the rare chance that I enjoy them.

hoho, nice thread~ i like the characters not the "type" but they usually end up being tsunderes of course there are exceptions like in fate/stay or clannad. 

and i usually go for kuuderes routes first but i haven't found a kuudere in VN that i truly like.

basically tsunderes, kuuderes, genki girls, yanderes, lolis, etc, etc.

i just love the moeness of the world, moe is love moe is justice!

Depends. my first option would be yanderes. Also, I'm not picky with appearance, so as long as I find the person cute it's ok. Strictly saying, they make for great servants, even if you need to act like the only thing in your mind is them. They make for great pawns as well, and are easily controllable. They're also one of the few people that will obey reckless orders like "die for me". That makes them my favorite type of heroine. Considering the fact that I'm a hikkikomori (I work, but it's at home) and I don't enter social contact with anyone besides the supermarket delivery guy, she would have no reason to go crazy and kill those close to me, mostly because there are no people like that.

EDIT:I  have a special dislike for Tsunderes. They are aggressive for little to no reason at all, which just makes me want to retaliate 10x times what they did. So if they hit me, I'd feel a sudden urge to kill that person.

This is personal though and I do understand why other people like them.

Otherwise, I want someone with either talent or a position high enough to keep up with me and my ideas. The thing I hate the most are idiots, and I wouldn't be able to accept a romantic interest that wasn't either academically equal to me(or if possible, superior) or someone who I could thoroughly use to do what I want.

My favorite heroine gotta be Akane from Rewrite. She's smart, she has a high position, and I'd love to

bring forth gaia's salvation with her and wipe out mankind

She also has the right looks and is refined enough when she wants to be.

3lp8P3q.jpg

whaaaa you're scary~

if you had a yandere girlfriend she would track everyone in fuwanyan down and kill them.

but yeah, yanderes are useful and cute when they are not trying to kill me for taking my eyes off her. i actually wouldn't mind her killing all the people i talk to if she's that cute~ but now that i think about it she would destroy my computer of get rid of my eyes for playing romantic VN and watching moe anime, i don't know if i could accept that