Hidden Pearls

AustriaVNFan

I am interested: what VNs have you found by pure random that hardly anyone talks about and that have a rating at least below 7.5 on VNDB but that you found really good?

One such VN for me is Hanachirasu

I usually don't read such short VNs but I found that one really captivating although you have to be somewhat into sword fights. I know it is not really unknown to real VN fans but still...

The Letter (forgotten after a few youtubers finished it, but has one of the best branch systems in the genre)

Kizuato (only spoken about in historical discussions, but has a really good introductory route and entertaining joke endings)

Vampirdzhija Vjedogonia (closer to good than great, but it's a fun action story)

EoSD for Busy Person (seriously entertaining if you've ever been a part of the Touhou fandom)

27 minutes ago, AustriaVNFan said:

rating at least below 7.5 on VNDB

Yay, that's like 70% of my VNDB list :leecher:

maybe Kikokugai ~The Cyber Slayer~? it's on 7.47, still counts Cool cyborg fights, what's not to love? Although this one is not that unknown, I think I was the one late to the party :P 

also +1 to EoSD for Busy Person. I laughed too much in Marisa's path.

Edited by MaggieROBOT

The Shadows of Pygmalion. I only started reading the demo because I was in the mood to read something trashy, but, as the game progressed, I found myself enjoying it more and more. Almost everyone on Fuwa agrees that this game was a pure disappointment, but I actually kind of liked it overall, even though I definitely see all its flaws.

18 minutes ago, Clephas said:

It needs to be said that many truly awesome games that are untranslated are also underrated on vndb...

My example is the kamige: Komorebi no Nostalgica, which has a rating of 6.83

But that's just the Bayesian rating, which is low for almost every VN with a low vote count. The actual rating is 8.11 which is actually pretty high - I wouldn't call that an underdog anymore.

Anyway, one of my hidden favorites would be probably the old Moero Downhill Night 2 from Jast. It's a moege which was inspired by the racing anime Initial D (which I'm a big fan of). I never understood why it's rated with just a low 6.44 even if it has a way more creative story than most other moeges. Maybe it was punished because it wasn't a damn school life moege. :wacko:

One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~

This underrated vn is really good so far. It reminds me of Kanon, but then there were several people who founded Key ,and have helped work with this vn 1 year before they worked on Kanon. I need to finish One, and then  after I finish it, I would like to read Moon. Anyway I'm still reading vns, so I haven't finished very many , since I started reading them in 2015. Anyway if you like Key vns, then you should read One.

Edited by yelsha57

On 09/02/2019 at 5:22 AM, yelsha57 said:

One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~

This underrated vn is really good so far. It reminds me of Kanon, but then there were several people who founded Key ,and have helped work with this vn 1 year before they worked on Kanon. I need to finish One, and then  after I finish it, I would like to read Moon. Anyway I'm still reading vns, so I haven't finished very many , since I started reading them in 2015. Anyway if you like Key vns, then you should read One.

You think that because you haven't finished it yet. One has some great writing but the terrible ending sequence (guess enough completely random choices right or game over) ruins it. 

Soundless - A Modern Salem in Remote Area -

Only just qualifies at 7.45 avg, but honestly a p damn good denpage.

Watashi wa Kyou Koko de Shinimasu

A VN about suicide, self acceptance in the face of the sometimes unsurmountable demands of society, and just generally finding the strength to live on this bitch of an earth despite being a worthless piece of shit. Okay so that sounds grim and all but it can also be pretty funny; consider it a nakige if nakige were actually written without filler. To be honest I think it's not going to fully work for people who aren't weak in the ways the characters in the novel are, though maybe I'm wrong idk it tickled my funny bone very hard.

Hanahira

moe moe kyun kyun fjoewilhvkntu43kiukiyhsuesktuerilskyvnhui3twknytlenvhturilthk KAWAIII YURI GRILLS JGU43IRVWKVHYU3RKWYVHN3KUNYVSHEIUUHFSVEYUKVGNRYKVSNYRESKVGYRJVSNGYRVSKNTYRSNVKUGVTYUKNY 9/10

zaka.exe has stopped responding. please do NOT give windows some time to report this problem to microsoft

Thank you everyone for your input. It was very exciting to read through your recommendations :)

On 8.2.2019 at 10:04 PM, onorub said:

The Letter (forgotten after a few youtubers finished it, but has one of the best branch systems in the genre)

Oh, I get that offered on Steam sometimes, but it never really caught my eye. I looked this up on VNDB and was surprised it has a lenght of 30-50 hours. Is this an OELVN? I didn't think there were OELVNs that were that long.

On 8.2.2019 at 10:04 PM, onorub said:

EoSD for Busy Person (seriously entertaining if you've ever been a part of the Touhou fandom)

Haha, I didn't know there was a Touhou VN, that's quite funny :D actually I am even playing Touhou Gensou Wanderer Reloaded atm!

On 8.2.2019 at 11:05 PM, alpacaman said:

Hatoful Boyfriend. Not a masterpiece by any means but way better and funnier than a cheap parody game has any right to be.

hmm, I have seen that one a lot on Steam, but are the characters in that VN really pidgeons? That seemed too absurd for me to try. But all the people who played this so far seemed pretty positive about it. Perphaps I will really give this one a try in the future...

On 8.2.2019 at 11:51 PM, ChaosRaven said:

Anyway, one of my hidden favorites would be probably the old Moero Downhill Night 2 from Jast. It's a moege which was inspired by the racing anime Initial D (which I'm a big fan of). I never understood why it's rated with just a low 6.44 even if it has a way more creative story than most other moeges. Maybe it was punished because it wasn't a damn school life moege

ya, that is really something I would normally have ignored. Thank you for mentioning that. Can it be played without playing the prequel (since it is a part 2)?

On 9.2.2019 at 3:48 PM, Fred the Barber said:

Demonbane is criminally underrated at a score of 7.42. It's the only VN I've ever read which I would describe as "campy", and I love it for that.

That one looks pretty good. I put it on my wishlist 8)

On 10.2.2019 at 6:31 AM, lidinx said:

https://vndb.org/v14022 Rance Series: My favorite series. No 2 games play the same, and the story is great.

hmm, as far as I cound understand so far Rance is an ever horny warrior whose only goal is to nail every woman that happens to get in his way. That is usually not my stuff. Is there really more to it I wonder? (since the Rance Series is pretty highly rated)

Edited by AustriaVNFan

On 9.2.2019 at 2:29 AM, VirginSmasher said:

UmiKara. Only has a rating around a 7 on VNDB, but it is a truly gripping denpa VN. The atmosphere, twists, and characters are all oppressive as hell, so it's not for the people who enjoy light-hearted stuff. I gave it an 8/10 and is my second favourite denpa VN behind Myth

Are you talking about this VN ?

53 minutes ago, AustriaVNFan said:

ya, that is really something I would normally have ignored. Thank you for mentioning that. Can it be played without playing the prequel (since it is a part 2)?

Yes, they have completely different stories and characters. First part is also much weaker.

53 minutes ago, AustriaVNFan said:

hmm, as far as I cound understand so far Rance is an ever horny warrior whose only goal is to nail every woman that happens to get in his way. That is usually not my stuff. Is there really more to it I wonder? (since the Rance Series is pretty highly rated)

I think he was just trolling, because calling the Rance series as a whole 'underrated' and 'hardly anyone talks about' is just ridiculous.

Edited by ChaosRaven

On 2/11/2019 at 3:43 PM, AustriaVNFan said:

So it's not well known in the English community because of how hard people find it to get into (translate 01 Mangagamer!). It has it's dark moments,and it has it's lighthearted moments. Each game has a nice, self-contained story, while the series as a whole has this giant world-building that feels reminiscent of a marvel-movie. Rance is horny and immature as a character, but he has depth, and so do the side characters. No game plays the same (fuck 5d), and it is a great experience.

To me as long as the VN is still have average score above 7.11, I wouldn't say that it's underrated because there's a lot of that kind of VN that was really good (ie Noble Works, Koichoco, HatsuKoi, Osadai). So my underrated VN scoring would be something that got less than 7.10, and some of those that I'd find it interesting were Ikikoi, Shinikiss, Suika, and Beat Blade Haruka. Oh and also both of Koiresort and Koiken Otome, in which those two did have very good graphic.

PS - Technically first Da Capo could count as well here, but it's a part of bigger franchise though (Both of the second and third parts are well-rated) so it didn't count here.

Edited by littleshogun

Dra†KoI : A crazy, wild, naughty, funny and very short fairy tale :Chocola:

Quartett! or Period. :  With Ooyari's works, it's love or hate :lol: Having said that, the first is a cute musical Slice of Life and the second is a bittersweet romance (with a drop of fantasy).

11eyes -Tsumi to Batsu to Aganai no Shoujo- : A cool chuuni VN with a great route system and a very interesting scenario.

Yume Miru Kusuri : Without this underestimated treasure, I would not be there. it was one of my first visual novels. With Steins;Gate, It was one of those who made me love the genre :wub: