Is it worth it to buy vita for playing visual novel?

Prideful

well basically tittle, i know sony has cut support for vita, just wondering if it's worth it, or if you have other console recommendation, i will gladly appreciate it. 
PS: I will use it mainly for visual novel, but not close the possibility that i will play other weeb games.

If you like otome a lot? :P

TBH, I think Switch is much better investment long-term, considering that many developers try to get access to the giant payerbase it offers. And considering Sony's shift to removing eroge from their platforms, suddenly Nintendo might be the more open-minded of those two companies (what has this world came to... :isla:).

48 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

If you like otome a lot? :P

TBH, I think Switch is much better investment long-term, considering that many developers try to get access to the giant payerbase it offers. And considering Sony's shift to removing eroge from their platforms, suddenly Nintendo might be the more open-minded of those two companies (what has this world came to... :isla:).

switch is out of my budget and i dont really have money to buy visual novel, maybe gonna considering it first

Just now, Prideful said:

switch is out of my budget and i dont really have money to buy visual novel, maybe gonna considering it first

I guess things are changing a bit thanks to online stores being integrated into consoles, but generally speaking, the cost of console games is the reason I never really got into them very much. I've had a PS1, Xbox 360 and PS4 in the past, but only because my family bought those, I'd never put money into these machines when I can buy games much cheaper on Steam and don't care that much about any of the exclusives. And if you really want to have some VNs on a portable device, but don't have much money to work with, there's a lot you can do with your android/iOS device.

There's lots of good visual novels for the PSvita, though most of them aren't translated. So, if you need a console for translated VNs, the vita probably won't be the best choice. If you speak Japanese, then there's lots of stuff you can buy, and the console itself is a bit old, so it's rather cheap, even when bought new. (And much cheaper if bought used.)

At this point in time, much as I'd like to say yes, I'd have to say no and suggest instead that you either buy a PS4, or a Switch. The Vita has a LOT of VNs as already mentioned, but most of those are in Japanese, and while there are quite a few in English there aren't going to be very many more (especially physically), so you'd cover your bases by going with the PS4, which has a lot of the same VNs alongside several others (Clannad is on PS4 for example in English, but only in Japanese on Vita) and should still get more VNs for a while to come. If you like otome games then it'd be an easier recommendation, but you didn't say anything about those in your post. The Switch on the other hand looks like it will pick up a lot of the market of the Vita but that'd be a longer-term investment that need you to wait for the library to expand. 

Edited by snowbell55

Btw almost all VNs on the PS vita are just eroge with sex scenes cut out. I would recommend just sticking to PC unless you have anything specific you want which is only found on PS vita. If what you want is portability I think the switch is a better option, unless you plan to go to japan and buy lots of used VNs for the Vita.

47 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

If what you want is portability I think the switch is a better option

There are even less translated VNs on switch though. At least yet, and it's not like the gap is closing that fast. Untranslated too. If you want to buy switch for reading VNs in english, you can confidently wait for at least several more years, there's not much of a market in the west yet. 

47 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Btw almost all VNs on the PS vita are just eroge with sex scenes cut out.

Also should be noted that this is true only for the utranslated ones. On the english market it's only, like, Muv-Luv, soon-to-be Dies Irae (and amantes is not really just eroge with sex cut out)... Sharin no Kuni?

Edited by novurdim

If your main goal is to widen the selection of visual novels you have access to, buying a new platform is a poor way of going about it.  Instead, you should be text-hooking PC VNs and playing them in Japanese.  There's a handful of PS Vita-only VNs in English, whereas there's literally thousands of PC VNs that are available in Japanese but not English.

More generally, if you can't think of at least 5 games you'd buy right now if you had a given platform, it's not worth investing in.  Multiply that by at least 2 if the platform is at the end of life.

Edited by sanahtlig

For English localized VNs that were based off the psp or vita, I'd go ahead and get Playstation TV, which essentially allows you to play their games on the television, rather than on the systems; is somewhat cheaper; and can play anything with a digital version on the psn store.  You can still find it on Amazon, I think.  I never regretted getting it.