Mosaic preferences in Visual Novel H-Scenes

NowItsAngeTime

12 hours ago, thelink1123 said:

That is a very broad generalization and can easily anger somebody. If you think people who don't buy because of mosaic don't care about story you are sadly mistaken. It's more about censorship, and how it makes no sense to "localize"(make it easily understandable in english) a VN if it remains censored under laws that don't exist in other countries. (This little excerpt was taken from a Reddit post a few months back so these are not my words but they fit the situation well enough)

Personally, I prefer no mosaic, even if it looks terrible, as my H scene experience most times is a "Ohhhh my"(lol) from me and then I proceed to read a line here and there and then ultimately hold down ctrl. 

One more thing, if we were reading for the story only, why wouldn't we be playing the All-ages then? That way there wouldn't technically be H scenes to censor in the first place. In all actuality, the H scenes are like a reward for the eyes after reading a 10 hour route. (You know, after the majority of the story is already finished)

???? You do realize the source material is censored right???? It's Japan's law to have them censored. I assume we are talking about VNs from Japan here. If the source material has mosaics and the localization has mosaics it makes no difference here. Additionally, it's not always possible to get the non-mosaic CGs. I don't know if you know this but a lot of the time the artists making it know it has to be mosaics and thus don't actually draw the mosaic parts fully. Thus the "original non-mosaics" sometimes don't even exist even within the Japanese company.

Also you kinda contradicted yourself? All-ages has plenty of censorship in re-phrasing more lewd jokes, cutting some non-H CGs and changing other lines. For example ニュートンと林檎の樹.

Also, I'm not sure what VNs you've been reading but the first H-scenes are rarely at the end of the story.... They are very commonly during the middle of heroine routes or hell, again in ニュートンと林檎の樹's case or like noble works or plenty of Yuzusoft games though one can argue yuzusoft has no story xD have H scenes at the beginning of the routes.

The topic you are bringing up is a consensus shared by many here that we don't want censorship in our games. The thing is, mosaics are not a censorship by the new publishers. It's from the source. What that Reddit post and everyone else is concerned about is the that publishers will change the source material by censoring certain things and changing the source material. And again, since mosaics are already in the source, it's not a valid argument.

Edit: Basically we want to say to publishers "Hey, you see these lines in Japanese? Make them English and don't do anything else" And if it's originally mosaic and it's released mosaic then I don't see where this "censorship" you're talking about is at. You are essentially getting what the Japanese players got originally. Isn't that what you want? If you say hey I want you to unmosaic this then I get worried since they might think " hey since I'm changing something lets also change even more things" and that's where I get my pitchforks.

Edited by iamnoob

1 hour ago, iamnoob said:

???? You do realize the source material is censored right???? It's Japan's law to have them censored. I assume we are talking about VNs from Japan here. If the source material has mosaics and the localization has mosaics it makes no difference here. Additionally, it's not always possible to get the non-mosaic CGs. I don't know if you know this but a lot of the time the artists making it know it has to be mosaics and thus don't actually draw the mosaic parts fully. Thus the "original non-mosaics" sometimes don't even exist even within the Japanese company.

Also you kinda contradicted yourself? All-ages has plenty of censorship in re-phrasing more lewd jokes, cutting some non-H CGs and changing other lines. For example ニュートンと林檎の樹.

Also, I'm not sure what VNs you've been reading but the first H-scenes are rarely at the end of the story.... They are very commonly during the middle of heroine routes or hell, again in ニュートンと林檎の樹's case or like noble works or plenty of Yuzusoft games though one can argue yuzusoft has no story xD have H scenes at the beginning of the routes.

The topic you are bringing up is a consensus shared by many here that we don't want censorship in our games. The thing is, mosaics are not a censorship by the new publishers. It's from the source. What that Reddit post and everyone else is concerned about is the that publishers will change the source material by censoring certain things and changing the source material. And again, since mosaics are already in the source, it's not a valid argument.

Edit: Basically we want to say to publishers "Hey, you see these lines in Japanese? Make them English and don't do anything else" And if it's originally mosaic and it's released mosaic then I don't see where this "censorship" you're talking about is at. You are essentially getting what the Japanese players got originally. Isn't that what you want? If you say hey I want you to unmosaic this then I get worried since they might think " hey since I'm changing something lets also change even more things" and that's where I get my pitchforks.

Yeah, I didn't get into Visual Novels yesterday and I am entirely aware that they are censored by default because Japan is afraid of genitalia. I am also aware that they don't always have the "no mosaic" cgs on hand, nowhere did I say that I believed they are always available. Why do you think Yuzusoft games being translated currently will always have mosaics? Their artists apparently don't draw anything underneath or even make an attempt, just opting to put the mosaic there and make it look like it resembles genitals. Most artists do attempt something but some opt not to as it was never meant to be seen (since Japan).

No I didn't contradict myself, all ages don't have H scenes and theres no mosaic to complain about. Sure they rewrote scenes, but since there wasn't a H scene present, there wasn't mosaic. My original point was to ridicule the idea that people who care about h scenes being mosaic or not also don't care about story. No h scenes mean more story and less sex right? Then the "story aspect" would be more important, because you know, there aren't any h scenes.

Quite a few VNs actually do H scenes later on, what are you reading? One off the top of my head is ChronoClock that requires you to clear a route to view them, another, Newton no Ringo, usually had them near the end of said routes. Funny to mention Yuzusoft as they will never have demosaic cgs so I wouldn't even include them.(Noble Works was alright)

Not a valid argument? I mentioned before that most artists do attempt something underneath the mosaic, but it's "censored" with a mosaic because Japan. The source material was censored to begin with, uncensoring in this case meant removing said mosaics because the laws that force them to be there do not exist in other countries.(otherwise it's still a censored release)

So with your edit, you're saying that getting exactly what the japanese players got isn't something being censored? Might want to reread your first line of your entire reply again. What about comedy VNs? Some jokes are lost in translation because of cultural differences, so they are changed to make sense to an English speaker. Asking for a no mosaic cg isn't telling anyone that they have free reign to butcher a story. Speaking of which, how does asking the translator/publisher for a no mosaic cg make you think the translator/publisher will change significant portions of the VN itself just because they added an uncensored cg? 

Seriously, mosaics aren't the bane of my existence, but localizing and localization means to make the text, story, plot, or other media make sense with a different culture or society. One such change is removing the mosaics, as it isn't required almost anywhere else in the world. (and if it isn't available because it never existed, so be it)

Edited by thelink1123

From the moment I saw Scorp vs Dovac at VNDB because of mosaic in G-Senjou, I already think that it's pretty pointless to me and so does the debate (Note that it was back at 2015). So I'm pretty much okay wheter there'll be mosaic or not (I'd read Sengoku Rance with mosaic), and I'll just leave the preference to each of their own whether you want to have mosaic or not

Edited by littleshogun

17 hours ago, littleshogun said:

From the moment I saw Scorp vs Dovac at VNDB because of mosaic in G-Senjou, I already think that it's pretty pointless to me and so does the debate (Note that it was back at 2015). So I'm pretty much okay wheter there'll be mosaic or not (I'd read Sengoku Rance with mosaic), and I'll just leave the preference to each of their own whether you want to have mosaic or not

Correction, that argument was not because of mosaic, more because people were shitting on Sekai in that thread because they were releasing an already fan-translated game without the H scenes that were necessary for some routes (necessary as in it actually contained character development and it tied up loose ends). Then it devolved into Scorp v Dovac. Only at the end of the thread there was a question about mosaics that was left unanswered. 

• 2 weeks later...

I see. Well not that it change my impression anyway that the debate in VNDB was kind of pointless, and especially so if they can avoid it (It can't be helped with Dovac I guess). Also now that I remember it yeah Scorp did mention of how he want 'no mosaic' in localized VN at this forum, but my impression on him was already sour so I thought that it's pointless that he asked something like that for the localized VN. My state is still the same though in that I'll leave it to each of their own in regard of mosaic.

Edited by littleshogun