Mosaic preferences in Visual Novel H-Scenes

NowItsAngeTime

Whenever there's an official release or kickstarter for an Eroge translation there's ALWAYS the question of whether there will be mosaics in the H-scenes or not.

There have been various discussions about H-scenes in the past but surprisingly none/not many topics about the usage of mosaics.

I'm all for No Mosaics, but it's not the end of the world if they are still there. People have complained about bad mosaics before but I don't really care any ones I particularly dislike off the top of my head.

Be sure to vote in this strawpoll:

mosaics these days arent even half bad imo, like who the fuck even cares about those tiny little pixies. granted if the art´s great, and that goes for beneath mosaics as well, then i´d be fine with uncensoring, but that´s only IF. & honestly times where mosaics covered almost the whole body are long long gone.

I want them gone if possible. Though, I won't choose not to buy a game if they're there. There's lots of reasons why they might be left in, and that's understandable. (Also, if the art under looks absolutely dreadful, I do prefer them, heh.)

Very light mosaics can look nice, like the ones in Nikuniku. Though, the uncensored version is almost always better in my opinion. Almost always. Like mentioned above, there are exceptions where the art under them is just... absolutely terrible.

Well, the VNs I have read didin't require that many mosaics so far, euphoria being the exception, and honestly, I don't really care. But I find the kinda senseless, since either you are a child playing the game, then you probably made something wrong as a parent or you are 18+, then what's the point? It's only use is when under age children somehow manage to hijack VNs meant for adults (which can happen, of course), but even then I wonder if those mosaics really help. So basically I find the mosaic feature kind of childish (adults not coming to terms with nudity).

3 hours ago, AustriaVNFan said:

Well, the VNs I have read didin't require that many mosaics so far, euphoria being the exception, and honestly, I don't really care. But I find the kinda senseless, since either you are a child playing the game, then you probably made something wrong as a parent or you are 18+, then what's the point? It's only use is when under age children somehow manage to hijack VNs meant for adults (which can happen, of course), but even then I wonder if those mosaics really help. So basically I find the mosaic feature kind of childish (adults not coming to terms with nudity).

Adults not coming to terms with nudity.

Ah yes, Japan. Do you think if you live there and look in the mirror naked, you get real-life mosaics...?

But in my VNs, I don't mind too much either way. Ideally, they're not there.

Spoiler

Super ideally, they weren't there in the first place.

14 hours ago, Sayaka said:

Ah yes, Japan. Do you think if you live there and look in the mirror naked, you get real-life mosaics...?

This always got me wondering if couples in Japan have to do it with a blindfold - but I guess not even Japan would be that crazy. :blink:

Not a fan of mosaics, since it's often abused to not draw anything at all behind huge blocks of annoyance. Though, it's kinda acceptable if they are very small and the artists did their homework good enough to let your imagination do the uncensoring job.

4 hours ago, iamnoob said:

I mean... people who won't buy because of mosaics don't care for the story anyway.

If I could choose, sure no mosaics. But it's not exactly a priority for those who read for the story

That is a very broad generalization and can easily anger somebody. If you think people who don't buy because of mosaic don't care about story you are sadly mistaken. It's more about censorship, and how it makes no sense to "localize"(make it easily understandable in english) a VN if it remains censored under laws that don't exist in other countries. (This little excerpt was taken from a Reddit post a few months back so these are not my words but they fit the situation well enough)

Personally, I prefer no mosaic, even if it looks terrible, as my H scene experience most times is a "Ohhhh my"(lol) from me and then I proceed to read a line here and there and then ultimately hold down ctrl. 

One more thing, if we were reading for the story only, why wouldn't we be playing the All-ages then? That way there wouldn't technically be H scenes to censor in the first place. In all actuality, the H scenes are like a reward for the eyes after reading a 10 hour route. (You know, after the majority of the story is already finished)